Growler Flies Again

hah very true. The Marines had a few in the last few years that managed to land. The last Navy one I know of, aside from the typical Blue angels minor ones, resulted in loss of both airplanes and 4x ejections, but they all were basically unharmed (though that one was also very lucky).

I remember this happened when I was a kid.

cc32cc4392b90063a0cc2dfcc957191c.jpg

“Hey look guys! I managed to make transonic acceleration even worse!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember this happened when I was a kid.

cc32cc4392b90063a0cc2dfcc957191c.jpg

“Hey look guys! I managed to make transonic acceleration even worse!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it weird that my first thought looking at that image was "Damn, is that a Gill battery up there?" I know the battery is located elsewhere, but that's the signature color and shape of a Gill battery.

Is it weird that my first thought looking at that image was "Damn, is that a Gill battery up there?" I know the battery is located elsewhere, but that's the signature color and shape of a Gill battery.

JO tour pilot trying to explain to the boss what he did to his jet….

“It’s the ultimate one circle dog fighter now! We took all that dead weight off the front gaining a ton of nose pointing authority for the ultimate WVR machine!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What’s weird is that’s not the first time it’s happened to Hornets.

It’s almost like if you’re gonna have a midair…. That’s the plane to be in when it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For years, nothing else around to wreck other than Hornets. Prowlers were G-limited and E-2/C-2 guys weren’t looking for a dogfight.

The last time I flew or preflighted a Hornet was early 2017, but IIRC the batteries actually did look a lot like that......somewhere behind one of the access panels (visible) on the right side of the jet, if my memory isn't failing me (or hey, maybe it was on the left? :) ).

Pretty wild. Didn't even realize they had it right across the ramp, I figured it had been struck long ago. Those dudes got incredibly lucky, like purely fate being on their side. Super hornet put it's wingtip through the nose area of the Growler (airborne). There's like the tiniest window of relative attitudes and flight path vectors that allows that to happen without a giant fireball. Instead, both jets landed safely back in Fallon o_O

Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll make you fly it!

Back