Ground travel and Union Contract

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
I am wondering what various airlines have in their union contract regarding ground travel (limo, rental cars, etc).

Maximum number of hours allowed?

Does driving count towards your monthly guarantee?

Does your airline count it as duty time?

I am wondering what various airlines have in their union contract regarding ground travel (limo, rental cars, etc).

Normally travel that is "local in nature" does not count toward duty time. "Local in nature" is subject to debate, but normally the company was good about this and if it was longer than about 15 minutes our duty time was extended (as it was our duty out time did not start until after our last block-in... something like 15 minutes after, in some outstations longer). Only time I saw an issue was when the company sent us from Ft. Waltin Beach FL to Panama City after a hurricane hit the area and called it "local in nature". FAA threw the BS flag on that one.
Also, after 15 minutes if transportation did not show up the captain was authorized to take care of it; many did not, I always did and never had a problem getting reimbursed for the expense.

In line with normal duty...nothing really specified, but no duty periods can be above the basic. There is a specific list of limo routes, and the time for each pairing. i.e. PHL-DOV

Yes, as the credit time is pre-defined. It goes as DH credit

Yes

I am mainly talking about driving and limo services moving crews between airports more than 60 minutes apart (e.g PHL-TTN,)

I am mainly talking about driving and limo services moving crews between airports more than 60 minutes apart (e.g PHL-TTN,)

We have a specific section in our contract that deals with that.

CBA said:
3. When a Crewmember is deadheading via ground transportation scheduled for one hour (1:00) or more, he shall receive Deadhead Pay pursuant to the Polar Air Cargo Ground Transportation City Pair Guide, which is incorporated by reference and made an integral part of this Agreement. If the Ground Transportation City Pair Guide does not contain a Deadhead Pay value for the city pair in question, the Crewmember shall receive Deadhead Pay for fifty percent (50%) of the actual travel time. When a Crewmember is deadheading via ground transportation scheduled for less than one hour (1:00), he will not receive any Deadhead Pay.

4. Ground Transportation City Pair Guide
City Pair Deadhead Pay Value (Hours)
DXB-FJR 0.75
JFK-DOV 2.00
PHL-DOV 0.50
RMS-FRA 1.00
SEL-OSN 1.50
SUU-OAK 0.50
SUU-SFO 0.50
VCP-GRU 0.75
OKO-NRT 1.50
The Polar Air Cargo Ground Transportation City Pair Guide may be amended periodically by mutual agreement of the parties to add or delete city pairs and their corresponding Deadhead Pay values.

Hope this helps...

Yes, considered duty time and I don't think the FAA would consider it travel "local in nature" so if your company is counting it as time off I think they (the FAA) would take a very dim view of this. This is about the same distance as VPS-PFN, and that was what they told our company some years ago- it was not local in nature, so it was duty time.

Back