ground school?

JGriffis

Hey guys I was just wondering how many hours of classtime (ground school) should you do when getting your Private? I know you can do a lot on your own so I guess i'm asking how much actual time should you spend with an instructor? How many hours should you pay for?

CAVOK

I guess as much as it takes you to learn the material. Hopefully your instructor is not a money grubbing jerk, and he/she will help you on the side. I don't believe I paid for any ground time when I was getting my private. I think I used the Jeppesen home study course and my instructor would just test me and talk to me about anything I had questions over, usually in the airplane on the way back from somewhere. Just make sure you know the material.

rhs

[ QUOTE ]
I guess as much as it takes you to learn the material. Hopefully your instructor is not a money grubbing jerk, and he/she will help you on the side. I don't believe I paid for any ground time when I was getting my private. I think I used the Jeppesen home study course and my instructor would just test me and talk to me about anything I had questions over, usually in the airplane on the way back from somewhere. Just make sure you know the material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't think I paid for any ground time except in the days preceeding my checkride in which we reviewed the oral material ad nauseum.

stultus

The FBO I went to was offering a night ground school course when I started my private, so I did that. Though I don't think I really learned much--or anything at all--that I wouldn't have picked up on my own. My instructor didn't do any ground with me except to prep for the solo, solo XC, and checkride to make sure I had a decent handle on things. He did, however, do something cool--once I got the hang of flying he would quiz me on everything up in the air--partly as a distraction to help me learn to multitask and think on my toes.

How much ground school you'll need to do with your instructor is a function of how diligent you are at studying on your own and how well you can understand and apply the book info in the cockpit.

Sprint100

No formal ground instruction for me either. I either learned things from regular flight lessons or reading on my own.