Ground Controllers

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
As I listen to KPHX live ATC Im just wondering do ground controllers have radar or just binoculars? Thanks!

Maybe somebody can back me up on this?

I have read about some major airports putting in/testing systems that do track airplanes on the ground. I'm not real sure how it all works.

Maybe some other type of radar or GPS.

There is a type of radar called ASDE....airport surveillance detection equipment (I think). It can pick up ground targets but it's only used at the bigger airports...would think they have it at KPHX. Other than that...it's the eyeball method. I always thought ground control was kind of a waste, at least with good visibility. Pilots know where they need to go and are smart enough not to run into one another....

in the past cpl of years I read somewhere that Ground radar was a priority for the FAA at all airports and there was some testing being done. I always like it when you are in line waiting. ang ground says something like.

Lear 1223, look to your left, do you see an airbus?

Afirm, Lear1223

Ok wanted to be sure I was talking to the right guy.. taxi to........

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought ground control was kind of a waste, at least with good visibility. Pilots know where they need to go and are smart enough not to run into one another....

[/ QUOTE ]

Although at places like O'Hare, it seems ground can be one of the busiest positions, more so even than local.

I believe airports such as SLC and DEN have ASDE.

Yeah...when I worked at LAX, clearance delivery was the busiest position at times. Ground Control is a nightmare. But I still think it doesn't need to be. Airplanes are perfectly capable of taxiing around without hitting each other and don't need to be told where to go.

I can see problems, though, with some of those super type A Captains who will do whatever it takes to be number one at the end...could get kinda crazy.

DE727UPS - What if you have just left the gate, turned to cross what you believe is an inactive runway, and tower has just cleared a plane to land on that runway. The plane is currently on a base leg that extends behind you, so you have neither heard the transmission nor seen the airplane. You'd need a controller to give you a hold short instruction or else that plane would have to go around at best...

I think that the rules would have to revised, but I think most people at most airports could taxi around without a controller.

My biggest concern about that is people getting lost - you need a controller for directions!!

Back