GREAT reference book for collegiate aviation

Kestrel452

I just got the Collegiate Aviation Guide from the University Aviation Association and it really opened up my eyes as to who provides the best program. If you want an unbiased opinions and information that's not from glossy brochures, I would suggest getting one of these!

http://www.uaa.aero/itemdetail.aspx?pid=UAA 102

One very interesting thing I noticed in this book is that you get a very small amount of flight hours from ERAU upon graduation, which really shows just how wrong it is to call it the "Harvard of aviation". Some of the better programs were: Purdue, Florida Institute of Technology, Ohio University, University of North Dakota, Western Michigan University, and Southern Illinois Carbondale. one other notable find is that graduates from Purdue and Florida Institute of Technology on average completed much more flight hours than the rest. I'll leave all other great bits of information about these academies for you to read about.

It's always great to have :sitaware:.

The AOPA Training magazine also puts out a "College Guide" issue every year, I believe in October.

There's a whole lot more to look at than how many flight hours you will be receiving. If your that concerned about flight hours, it'd probably be best to go Part 61 and not Part 141.

The AOPA Training magazine also puts out a "College Guide" issue every year, I believe in October.

There's a whole lot more to look at than how many flight hours you will be receiving. If your that concerned about flight hours, it'd probably be best to go Part 61 and not Part 141.

:yeahthat:

Look into things such as what connections they have with Airlines (such as internships, co-ops, etc). Also be sure to make sure that it is an accredited university. No sense paying tons of money for a piece of paper that's worth nothing.

The AOPA Flight Training mag with the College guide comes out in December, not in October as I previously stated.

Looks like I am too late to get the December edition college guide :(
Become a member, then you can read through the archive for free online.

As for turbine time, don't let that play into things. You'll be shelling out way too much money to do that. Your better off becoming an airport rat and trying to fly right seat somewhere (or at least along those lines).

Back