Great F-16 Landing BTW - No Power.

I hear the best pilots get the F-16 and the bottom ones get F-15E's :)

F-16: First in the beauty contest, last in the talent competition.

F-15E: Designed by God, built by McDonnell Douglas

All bull##### aside, I have several hours in the F-16 and it is a fantastic airplane. Very nimble and responsive. Has a couple weird quirks, like that it doesn't buffett/vibrate when you're in a high G turn or even in the final turn to land. The F-15E is a jet that really "talks" to you, and you can tell how fast you are and how much energy you have by how it sounds and the seat-of-the-pants feel.

You wouldn't expect it, but there are actually many more similarities than there are differences between the two jets. I'd be perfectly happy in either one...so long as nobody was shooting at me! :)

I hear the best pilots get the F-16 and the bottom ones get F-15E's :)

Sign me up for the F-15! :nana2:I think I would like the center stick position instead of the side stick.

All bull##### aside, I have several hours in the F-16 and it is a fantastic airplane. Very nimble and responsive. Has a couple weird quirks, like that it doesn't buffett/vibrate when you're in a high G turn or even in the final turn to land. The F-15E is a jet that really "talks" to you, and you can tell how fast you are and how much energy you have by how it sounds and the seat-of-the-pants feel.

You wouldn't expect it, but there are actually many more similarities than there are differences between the two jets. I'd be perfectly happy in either one...so long as nobody was shooting at me! :)

Then who designed the F-22? HA HA

Do military jets have some sort of AOA display or a stall warning system? With all the high G turns and power changes that come with a dog fight I would think it would be pretty simple to get the aircraft into a potential stall situation. I am sure you can sense it just by the feel of the aircraft just like you can in a Cessna but if your mind is occupied it might not register until it is too late.

Do military jets have some sort of AOA display or a stall warning system? With all the high G turns and power changes that come with a dog fight I would think it would be pretty simple to get the aircraft into a potential stall situation. I am sure you can sense it just by the feel of the aircraft just like you can in a Cessna but if your mind is occupied it might not register until it is too late.

Yes, there is an AOA system. In the F-15, we actually fly nearly EVERYTHING in reference to AOA instead of airspeed. For maneuvering flight, it's obvious why we would want to use AOA, since that is the true measure of a wing's performance regardless of airspeed or aircraft weight.

Here's a shot of an Eagle HUD; you can see the AOA under the airspeed on the left center of the HUD (it's the number after the 'a' symbol).

f15hud.jpg

Here you see just under 30 units of AOA being pulled in this turn to gun whatever sorry bastard is under the gun pipper. 30 units is considered our "best turn rate", but it generally results in a loss of airspeed.

The F-15 doesn't display actual degrees of AOA, but an arbitrary unit of measure called "cockpit units". If I recall right, if you subtract 10 or so from the cockpit unit readout that approximates the actual degrees.

The "stall warning system" does not exist in the Eagle. We fly it down to speeds well below what any normal pilot would consider a "stall", literally standing the jet on the afterburners and using Newton's laws against the belly of the jet to keep us airborne. Slow speed dogfights take place 50 or so knots below the level flight stall speed.

F/A-18 Super Hornet trumps both! :p :sarcasm:

Yes, there is an AOA system. In the F-15, we actually fly nearly EVERYTHING in reference to AOA instead of airspeed. For maneuvering flight, it's obvious why we would want to use AOA, since that is the true measure of a wing's performance regardless of airspeed or aircraft weight.

Here's a shot of an Eagle HUD; you can see the AOA under the airspeed on the left center of the HUD (it's the number after the 'a' symbol).

f15hud.jpg

Here you see just under 30 units of AOA being pulled in this turn to gun whatever sorry bastard is under the gun pipper. 30 units is considered our "best turn rate", but it generally results in a loss of airspeed.

The F-15 doesn't display actual degrees of AOA, but an arbitrary unit of measure called "cockpit units". If I recall right, if you subtract 10 or so from the cockpit unit readout that approximates the actual degrees.

The "stall warning system" does not exist in the Eagle. We fly it down to speeds well below what any normal pilot would consider a "stall", literally standing the jet on the afterburners and using Newton's laws against the belly of the jet to keep us airborne. Slow speed dogfights take place 50 or so knots below the level flight stall speed.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a huge amount of fun.

Back