Graduate School

spoolinup22

Soo guys, with my new job I have the option to go to grad school for free. First off, I hope to end up corporate in the end. If possible I would love to avoid the regionals (nothing against them, it's just not my number one choice). My only problem is that grad school takes about 2 years, and I'm just not sure I can commit to 2 more years of single engine cfi'ing unless it really is worth it.

So all in all, does having a Masters really help in the corporate scheme of things?

I'm confused. Is your Master's Degree going to be in "Certified Flight Instructor Teaching" or something? I don't understand this part:

and I'm just not sure I can commit to 2 more years of single engine cfi'ing unless it really is worth it.

I'm confused. Is your Master's Degree going to be in "Certified Flight Instructor Teaching" or something? I don't understand this part:

Masters in Aeronautical Science, or Aviation... etc, I'm guessing? He's probably a CFI at a university with an aviation program. They sometimes offer a free/discounted graduate degree to their full-time CFI's. I know ERAU does this.

Is that where you are, spoolinup?

I think you'd be plum silly not to get a Masters degree for free.... No really. Silly. There is going to be a large difference in the number of people with Bachelors degree and the number of people with Masters degrees.

You said you hope to end up corporate in the end and to avoid regionals. What're you going to do in the meantime?

I say build another 2 years worth of flying time ( do they have multi's?) and get your Masters Degree.

Is this a degree in some sort of aviation subject? Then no, don't do it. It isn't worth the time you spend doing it even if it's free. A masters degree only makes a difference if it's useful for the field you're in, and aviation degrees are not useful. In any field. Ever. With one exception, that being you want to teach at an aviation university (not just flight instruct).

I hate to say it but you really don't need it. However, it will make your resume stand out more from the rest and it would be nice to have in your back pocket if you lose your medical one day and can't fly. If you enjoy the subject and will have fun getting it then go for it since the price is right.

Zidac said:
Masters in Aeronautical Science, or Aviation... etc, I'm guessing? He's probably a CFI at a university with an aviation program. They sometimes offer a free/discounted graduate degree to their full-time CFI's. I know ERAU does this.

Is that where you are, spoolinup?

Not erau but another aviation school that gives a very great discount on its masters.

Okie_Pilot said:
I think you'd be plum silly not to get a Masters degree for free.... No really. Silly. There is going to be a large difference in the number of people with Bachelors degree and the number of people with Masters degrees.

You said you hope to end up corporate in the end and to avoid regionals. What're you going to do in the meantime?

I say build another 2 years worth of flying time ( do they have multi's?) and get your Masters Degree.

My job is a cfi teaching primary and intermediate training. Soon I will have II and be able to instrument, but my multi time will be almost nothing...unless i get the co op with a local airline flying sic in their 402s...that's what I'm really trying to get.

Okie_Pilot said:

The masters would be in aviation. My job is the cfi.

I actually started a Masters in Management when I worked as a CFI for Riddle. Did a semester of that, and moved on. I don't regret my decision at all. Instead of an extra listing in my resume's education section, I went and flew jets. That lead to bigger jets, and now the main focus of my resume is my actual flying qualifications. That's what you want to work toward, assuming you already have a 4 year degree.

I think it was Derg who said: If you want to fly, fly. So uhh, go fly. :) Start a Masters if you wish, but don't hold yourself back from a good flying opportunity, assuming that's what you want to do for a living.

If the graduate program is flexible in offering both in-class and online coursework, you could possibly get a good number of free classes knocked out until a good flying opportunity comes along. Then, you can go with online courses (out of pocket) which would give you something to do on overnights.

Of course, that's assuming that they offer such a program. (and that you'd be willing to drop some money on finishing out the degree.)

If the graduate program is flexible in offering both in-class and online coursework, you could possibly get a good number of free classes knocked out until a good flying opportunity comes along. Then, you can go with online courses (out of pocket) which would give you something to do on overnights.

Of course, that's assuming that they offer such a program.

Very true. In my case it was all online, but cost prohibitive once the university stopped paying for it.

Very true. In my case it was all online, but cost prohibitive once the university stopped paying for it.

Yeah, it's easily over $1,000 per class at times. UND has a flexible program (in-class/recorded lectures online) that is reasonably priced at the resident rate, but I don't think CFIs automatically get free tuition there.

I would get my MBA instead of it in aviation.

Just my choice, but dude that is awesome that it is free.

Is there a contract you have to sign to start classes? If not I'd say go for it and if some other job comes your way, take it and consider doing a distance learning course.

I don't think mine offers the long distance or online version. If that was the case then definitely it would accomodate me a lot better.

purpel said:
I would get my MBA instead of it in aviation.

Just my choice, but dude that is awesome that it is free.

That was the first thing i looked into. Unfortunately my aviation degree classes did little for me in the outside world. In order for me to start that I would have at least 1.5 years of prereq classes.

That was the first thing i looked into. Unfortunately my aviation degree classes did little for me in the outside world. In order for me to start that I would have at least 1.5 years of prereq classes.

Knowing that, why are you even considering wasting two more years on a masters that also won't do anything for you? Just because it's free isn't a good enough reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

I actually started a Masters in Management when I worked as a CFI for Riddle. Did a semester of that, and moved on. I don't regret my decision at all. Instead of an extra listing in my resume's education section, I went and flew jets. That lead to bigger jets, and now the main focus of my resume is my actual flying qualifications. That's what you want to work toward, assuming you already have a 4 year degree.

I think it was Derg who said: If you want to fly, fly. So uhh, go fly. :) Start a Masters if you wish, but don't hold yourself back from a good flying opportunity, assuming that's what you want to do for a living.

Oh no, I agree. If you have a choice to go fly jets and start progressing your career then I say go for it. But if the choice boils down to:

1: Keep flying single engine recips while waiting for that jet job.

or

2: Keep flying single engine recips while getting a Masters degree for free while waiting for that jet job.

I would choose number 2.

Back