GPU Prop Strike in PHX

Yeah, I know the two pilots involved. I don't know the whole story but obviously the GPU was pulled into the safety diamond. It was a GPU, not a luggage cart.

I heard that of the two marshellers one just took off never to be seen again and second refused a drug test.

Yeah, I know the two pilots involved. I don't know the whole story but obviously the GPU was pulled into the safety diamond. It was a GPU, not a luggage cart.

I heard that of the two marshellers one just took off never to be seen again and second refused a drug test.

Surprised they are even trying to go after them. . .

Wasn't like the airplane was under their control. . .

Reinforces the mentality to step on the brakes whenever something is questioned. Can't say I ever pissed of either of the two Captains that I jumped on the brakes on. The end result of both events was that we cleared both items without incident, but I sure as hell would rather ruff up a couple people in the back with a quick stop than ding a multi-million dollar airplane and have the FEDs coming after us wanting us to do a urinalysis.

Reinforces the mentality to step on the brakes whenever something is questioned. Can't say I ever pissed of either of the two Captains that I jumped on the brakes on. The end result of both events was that we cleared both items without incident, but I sure as hell would rather ruff up a couple people in the back with a quick stop than ding a multi-million dollar airplane and have the FEDs coming after us want US to do a urinalysis.
Bingo. I learned my lesson when a marshaller and a wing walker marshalled us right at a baggage cart. I get a weird feeling when I see a baggage cart pass out the CA window and spend a few moments trying to figure out exactly how far up they are planning on taking us (hard stand, no lines, stairs weren't nearby), when the only thing I should have done was step on the bleeping brakes the second I felt uneasy.

End result was we stopped hard about 2 feet short of the cart, I learned a lesson on taking control of the brakes, and I lost all confidence in marshallers' ability to see 6 foot tall bright white objects directly in front of them (there was one at the wing on the SAME SIDE as the cart).

I'm not afraid to step on the brakes if I see something out of place. I can't imagine a Captain getting upset that I did, most captains say that specifically - if you see something, brake first and then we can talk about it.

I saw the closeup photos of the GPU aftermath at the Albany, NY operations room this morning. It was pretty interesting!

I saw the closeup photos of the GPU aftermath at the Albany, NY operations room this morning. It was pretty interesting!
Yeah, I saw some pics taken by our guys on their iphones... all that jet fuel from the GPU on the ground was pretty crazy. Amazed it didn't light up.

Yeah, I saw some pics taken by our guys on their iphones... all that jet fuel from the GPU on the ground was pretty crazy. Amazed it didn't light up.

Taxi accidents while being marshalled are no joke. Consider this one from October 1986 at Travis AFB that destroyed the C-141B involved. This has Murphy written all over it:

Returning from short stateside mission at night, the crew was directed to park in an unusual parking location. While being marshaled into the parking spot, the left wing struck a high intensity light pole. A resulting fire destroyed the left wing. There were only minor injuries.

A reserve crew was returning from a UTA "pickup" mission. While approaching Travis AFB, they were advised that there had been a bomb threat at the passenger terminal. The crew was directed to park in a parking spot which, unknown to them, was normally reserved for tow-in parking. The Aircraft Commander twice deplaned the Loadmaster's to complain about the marshaling procedure. Convinced by the lead marshaler that "we do it all the time", and with a wing walker on each wing, and a 3rd pilot in the left sliding window, they followed the marshalers instructions. While starting a hard right turn the crew felt a bump. The left wing had struck a light pole, rupturing the #1 Main fuel tank.

Fuel ran down the light pole and into a high voltage junction box at the base of the pole, igniting a fire that spread back up the pole and onto the wing. The crew and passengers evacuated out the crew entrance door. The CFR crews were able to contain the fire to the left wing.

Investigation revealed that this parking spot was a "tow-in" only spot, as the pilot had told the marshaling team. They determined that the marshaler on the left wing was still giving a "come ahead" signal at the time of the impact. He was fixated on why the wing position light "blinked" (It had passed behind the light pole).

This accident happened after a string of MAC taxi accidents. Only months before CINCMAC had issued a message threatening strong disciplinary action and that the next crew to have a taxi accident was "walking on thin ice".

Official USAF photos:

Attachments

• c-141.jpg
    c-141.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
  • c-1412.jpg
    c-1412.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
I'm not afraid to step on the brakes if I see something out of place. I can't imagine a Captain getting upset that I did, most captains say that specifically - if you see something, brake first and then we can talk about it.

Heck, that's almost word for word in my brief to the FO. Sure, you might get some FOs that are a little out there, but you can guarantee someday an FO is gonna save your butt as a CA.

I will always step on the brakes and save us/plane/passengers if I think something is not right. We can always talk about it later why I had to save your job:laff:.

Back