GPS signals and the Iraqi war V2.0

canuck goose

Hi folks,

Do you think that GPS signals might be interfered with on purpose by the military for the new war with Iraq? Or do you think that SA might be turned on again until futher notice?

So many things depends in GPS these days, of course there is the aviation business (I don't want my precious Lowrance 100 to be useless!
smirk.gif
) but there is many other industry that depends on these magical lil' boxes, car theft protection, armoured trucks, boats, police cars and helos ...ect

So what do you think? Will GPS signals be degraded for military purposes?

Canuck Goose

GPS won't be affected unless you're somewhere in Iraq; the DoD has gone to great pains to create an effective means of jamming GPS signals regionally, but they may not even use that as lots and lots of soldiers use consumer-grade GPS units, in addition to military crypto-based ones; I know for a fact that Garmin GPS 12MAPs are standard equipment in some USAF survival kits.

In fact, I've heard a few people comment that GPS signals got noticeably stronger a day or two ago, as if they boosted the signal strength from the satellites.

[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that Garmin GPS 12MAPs are standard equipment in some USAF survival kits.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are, along with the PRC-112B1 radios which also have an internal GPS.

MD

Flew today--GPS was all over the place. If I were to believe the readings, we were flying like a UFO.

Man, I had the collateral of coding them sumbitches (I think it was the A model...) every week on the boat. Each one is coded with the individuals' personal code, so we were required to have aircrew do it because we had a vested interest in keeping everything on the down low.

We had to double bag them because they weren't waterproof!
confused.gif
confused.gif
Who knew the Navy would buy survival radios that didn't like to get wet!

Just gimme an old PRC-90. Works well in every environment.

Chunk

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I had the collateral of coding them sumbitches (I think it was the A model...) every week on the boat. Each one is coded with the individuals' personal code, so we were required to have aircrew do it because we had a vested interest in keeping everything on the down low.

We had to double bag them because they weren't waterproof!
confused.gif
confused.gif
Who knew the Navy would buy survival radios that didn't like to get wet!

Just gimme an old PRC-90. Works well in every environment.

Chunk

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you guys have the 90 basics, I mean before the 90-1s? The ones with the morse code transmit button that no one used?

How does the USN life support guys manage the aircrew's sidearms (if, in fact, they do)?

MD

Back