GPS Failure and missed approach

What about on an overlay approach that uses a NDB, VOR or crossing radials as the missed? Assuming you backed up the GPS by tuning your radios for the missed.

You can't. That's why you have MSA (or the TAA equivalent.) Hopefully, you have alternate means of navigation.

Thanks tgrayson. I do have a little more....

1.) Are you legally able to file IFR to a destination airport that has a GPS approach as its sole approach? How about the alternate? Do these requirements change for WAAS?

2.) If I get a RAIM UNAVAILABLE warning outside the FAF, do I remain at my present altitude, track the GPS Final Approach Course to the Missed Approach Point, then execute the missed approach procedure ? If it is inside the FAF, can I continue the approach?

3.) On the Garmin 430, is an INTEG in the lower left corner the same as a RAIM message?

1. Yes you can go to an airport that only has a GPS approach.
-The deal is, unless you are in a WAAS enabled airplane, you are required to have a second means of Navigation (VOR, ADF). So the limitation or equipment requirement is on you and not the airport.

2. THis happened to a student I was giving a mock-ride to tonight. We maintained altitude, because it will obviously be a safe altitude and continued to the MAP at that altitude and flew the missed. I do believe this is the right course of action but I don't have anything to back it up, just reasoning.

3. Integrity is normally a good thing but in this case it means Integrity Failure, which is talking about RAIM.

Back in 03' when I did my instrument I was almost all done with my checkride, shooting the final nonprecision into our home airport and received a RAIM error on the GPS. I just laughed. After 2.2 hours of grueling checkride I get what I had only read about in a book. I immediately contacted approach, (we were nearing the FAF but short of it) requested the NDB, was cleared, and landed. I passed.

Thanks tgrayson. I do have a little more....

1.) Are you legally able to file IFR to a destination airport that has a GPS approach as its sole approach? How about the alternate? Do these requirements change for WAAS?

2.) If I get a RAIM UNAVAILABLE warning outside the FAF, do I remain at my present altitude, track the GPS Final Approach Course to the Missed Approach Point, then execute the missed approach procedure ? If it is inside the FAF, can I continue the approach?

3.) On the Garmin 430, is an INTEG in the lower left corner the same as a RAIM message?

Its all in the AIM, 1-1-19 I think. Anyway yes you can file IFR to a destination that solely has a GPS approach. If you do not have WAAS then you cannot file to an alternate if it is solely served by GPS. Also you do not need a back up source of navigation if you have WAAS which was already mentioned above.

Back