GPS/DME

juxtapilot

Snowflake
Is it legal to use a VFR only GPS for DME on an IFR flightplan in IMC? I assume not but I'm not sure if there's some stipulation for using it for DME when not using it to follow a course...

IFR Certified

Is it legal to use a VFR only GPS for DME on an IFR flightplan in IMC?

Negative.

To use a GPS for ADF or DME the unit must be IFR-certified and it must have a current database loaded into it.

I don't know of any restrictions of using it just for DME while you are flying IFR on VOR airways without any other source of DME (but the IFR certified requirement still applies).

I don't believe that a VFR-only GPS can be used as a substitute for DME.

For example, if you wanted to fly an ILS/DME approach, you need to have an IFR-certified GPS for the DME information. Or actual DME.

Of course, a VFR-only GPS is still great for situational awareness.

It specifically states in the AIM about using GPS in lieu of DME/ADF that only an IFR certified gps can be used. You can use a VFR gps for en route nav (we do it 99% of the time) just as long as you have suitable backup navigation.

Re: IFR Certified

To use a GPS for ADF or DME the unit must be IFR-certified and it must have a current database loaded into it.

Negative. If the database is out of date, all you have to do is verify the accuracy of all the waypoints that you will use on the flight. If they check, you're good to go.

Negative. If the database is out of date, all you have to do is verify the accuracy of all the waypoints that you will use on the flight. If they check, you're good to go.

You might want to see the last column of AIM Table 1-1-6 and Note 3.

You can use it all you want to aid in your situational awareness. You can't use it to identify a fix, legally.

It specifically states in the AIM about using GPS in lieu of DME/ADF that only an IFR certified gps can be used. You can use a VFR gps for en route nav (we do it 99% of the time) just as long as you have suitable backup navigation.

You can use the VFR GPS as the backup, not the other way around.

Back