GPS Approach ?

I remember coming across that when it came out. I never heard what the FAA said about it. It is a moot point in our airplanes, as Garmin specifically prohibits it with the G1000.

If it's a NDB/GPS approach, as in the GPS approach is an overlay of the NDB approach, you can use GPS. If it's just a NDB approach, you must use ADF/NDB. Also, your alternate must have an approach other than a GPS.

Jtsastre

Whoa, too much confusion...

I believe Douglas is trying to say that to use GPS *as the sole navigation equipment* onboard an aircraft, it must be a WAAS GPS.

In other words, if a person has a WAAS GPS, they don't need anything else installed in the plane (no VORs, ADFs, etc.) to be legal for IFR.

If the GPS is a regular GPS unit, even if it's an IFR certified GPS, there must be an alternate source of navigation available (such as VORs) if the plane is going to be operated under IFR. The pilot can flip the VOR receiver off and only use the GPS receiver if he wants, but the VOR receiver has to at least be installed in the plane.

This is all spelled out in the AIM, but I forget the exact references and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

only if the approach plate says "or GPS" at the top of the approach plate. If it does not, you must use the ADF for navigation from the FAF to the MAP. You may still identify the FAF and the MAP with your GPS.

If it is TSO 145a/146a certified you may use your WAAS enabled GPS as a sole source of navigation.

Thanks guys I believe my questions have been answered.

In other words, if a person has a WAAS GPS, they don't need anything else installed in the plane (no VORs, ADFs, etc.) to be legal for IFR.

Except isn't there a requirement for a back-up nav system (i.e., VOR) in the event of a GPS failure?

Back