GPS and Alternates

Sidious

Quick question about GPS and alternates

I have always heard that "If your primary airport only has GPS approaches, you need an alternate." I cannot find it anywhere in the AIM...

ALSO, I know that WAAS allows us to list an alternate with all GPS approaches, but does it also allow us to NOT have anyother equipment appropriate to the route of flight.

Example: Before we had to have a VOR as backup, active monitoring wasn't needed. Now from AIM 1-1-20 c. 7 (p532 2008 AIM) I don't think we even need that installed, just WAAS will do.

I cant remember the reference off the top of my head.....

But it is the Alternate that cannot have only a GPS approach unless it is WAAS.

Yeah I did find that reference in the AIM

Has anyone seen the first one though, or even heard it?
What I am saying is that for the primary there is no requirement to have more than just GPS. It is simply incorrect (the first one), you only need an alternate under the 123 rule.
91.169 Flight plan information required.

2) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an alternate airport.
(b) Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not apply if:
(1) Part 97 of this chapter prescribes a standard instrument approach procedure to, or a special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator for, the first airport of intended landing; and
(2) Appropriate weather reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, indicate the following:
(i) For aircraft other than helicopters. For at least 1 hour before and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 2,000 feet above the airport elevation and the visibility will be at least 3 statute miles.
(ii) For helicopters. At the estimated time of arrival and for 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the ceiling will be at least 1,000 feet above the airport elevation, or at least 400 feet above the lowest applicable approach minima, whichever is higher, and the visibility will be at least 2 statute miles.
(c) IFR alternate airport weather minima. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may include an alternate airport in an IFR flight plan unless appropriate weather reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, indicate that, at the estimated time of arrival at the alternate airport, the ceiling and visibility at that airport will be at or above the following weather minima:
(1) If an instrument approach procedure has been published in part 97 of this chapter, or a special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator, for that airport, the following minima:
(i) For aircraft other than helicopters: The alternate airport minima specified in that procedure, or if none are specified the following standard approach minima:
(A) For a precision approach procedure. Ceiling 600 feet and visibility 2 statute miles.
(B) For a nonprecision approach procedure. Ceiling 800 feet and visibility 2 statute miles.
(ii) For helicopters: Ceiling 200 feet above the minimum for the approach to be flown, and visibility at least 1 statute mile but never less than the minimum visibility for the approach to be flown, and
(2) If no instrument approach procedure has been published in part 97 of this chapter and no special instrument approach procedure has been issued by the Administrator to the operator, for the alternate airport, the ceiling and visibility minima are those allowing descent from the MEA, approach, and landing under basic VFR.

Nothing at all about GPS or not.

Nothing at all about GPS or not.

Alrighty, thats what I came to as well, anyone else feel free to chime in.

Now for the second question about WAAS and not having any other equipment appropriate to the route of flight. From reading it that is the conclusion I draw, anyone else have a thought?

Now from AIM 1-1-20 c. 7 (p532 2008 AIM)

1-1-20-C-7

Unlike TSO-C129 avionics, which were certified as a supplement to other means of navigation, WAAS avionics are evaluated without reliance on other navigation systems. As such, installation of WAAS avionics does not require the aircraft to have other equipment appropriate to the route to be flown.
You don't have to, but keep in mind that the database must be current or it is not acceptable. I know of a few flight schools that file /G all the time for instrument training and their databases are over a year old.

Back