Govt Treas I Bonds

I are pilot, so read at your own peril.

With market volatility and stocks all over the place, Treasury Govt I Bonds is a great idea. Up to $10k per person. Before Oct 31, you lock in 9.62%. That goes for 6 months. Then next 6 months is at a lower 6.48%. That’s 8.05% for 1 yr return.

Can sell after one year, pay 3 month penalty for interest. Or keep for 5 yrs and not pay that penalty.

Series I Savings Bonds

9.62%
For savings bonds issued May 1, 2022 to October 31, 2022.

Complete the purchase of this bond in TreasuryDirect by October 28, 2022 to ensure issuance by October 31, 2022. Learn more

I’m gonna dump 10k for myself and 10k for the wife, and just sell after 1 yr. Consider it a 1 yr CD with a 9 month interest period of a pretty fantastic return rate.

Disclaimer again. I’m a pilot. So you’re a dumbass for reading and considering this. :)

They have some drawbacks. You can't cash them out at all for the first year. So not a very liquid investment. And the best case is that they pay about 0% adjusted for inflation, less if you don't hold them for 5 years. You also can't buy more than 10k of these per year.

If you expect historically high inflation for many years, that might be good. But we certainly don't know that will happen. For comparison, two bond funds I hold are paying 12.35% and 11.02% now. They have more risk, of course. But I can also sell them tomorrow.

I let my guy at M-L make those decisions for me. We sit down and discuss short and long range goals and plans, and he handles the rest. He does this stuff all day, every day, so I'm thinking he might be better at it than me. YMMV.

I are pilot, so read at your own peril.

With market volatility and stocks all over the place, Treasury Govt I Bonds is a great idea. Up to $10k per person. Before Oct 31, you lock in 9.62%. That goes for 6 months. Then next 6 months is at a lower 6.48%. That’s 8.05% for 1 yr return.

Can sell after one year, pay 3 month penalty for interest. Or keep for 5 yrs and not pay that penalty.

Series I Savings Bonds

9.62%
For savings bonds issued May 1, 2022 to October 31, 2022.

Complete the purchase of this bond in TreasuryDirect by October 28, 2022 to ensure issuance by October 31, 2022. Learn more

I’m gonna dump 10k for myself and 10k for the wife, and just sell after 1 yr. Consider it a 1 yr CD with a 9 month interest period of a pretty fantastic return rate.

Disclaimer again. I’m a pilot. So you’re a dumbass for reading and considering this. :)
Yeah, drop 10k and make a guaranteed 800 bucks. Not a bad investment at all.

lol,, Oct 28 is the last day to buy the higher-rate I Bonds and TreasuryDirect is absolutely not setup for this volume of traffic. :bounce:

I let my guy at M-L make those decisions for me. We sit down and discuss short and long range goals and plans, and he handles the rest. He does this stuff all day, every day, so I'm thinking he might be better at it than me. YMMV.

Are you paying him anything for his services? If so, you’re getting ripped off.

“Wall Street is the only place people drive to in a Rolls Royce to take advice from someone who took the subway to work.” - Warren Buffett

Just put it all in index ETFs and cut out the middle man.

Are you paying him anything for his services? If so, you’re getting ripped off.

“Wall Street is the only place people drive to in a Rolls Royce to take advice from someone who took the subway to work.” - Warren Buffett

Just put it all in index ETFs and cut out the middle man.

We have some money actively managed by a big Wall Street brand name. The index funds I own have done better. And I don't have to pay myself 150 basis points / year. They did cut their fee when told the money would be moving though.

I used to have such good discipline about regularly purchasing I-Bonds. During the pandemic I mistakenly thought the annual purchase cap was on all types, so I preferred 10-year TIPS. Good times.

1667581868602.png

We’ve been buying through Treasury Direct for a while now. I like to think of it as a rolling 5 year CD investment. Too bad the $10K limit hasn‘t increased.

Back