Got the call today...

atpwannabe

Fellow JC'ers:

I got it.
biggrin.gif

As most of you know, I've been in the application process for the 1st Class Medical for the last 13 mos. Due to some legal issues (CHRC), it has taken all this time. Well, at 12:20pm EST today, I received a call from the Aerospace Medicine Office of the FAA in Washington.

I was informed that I will know in a week whether or not I get the 1st class. The kicker is that I was strongly encouraged to fax a letter stating that I would be open and receptive to being awarded a 2nd Class Medical if it was determined that for now, I didn't meet the "eligibility requirements" for the 1st Class Medical. I can re-apply for the 1st Class in one year and be awarded it as long as I keep my nose clean and exhibit a good work ethic and attitude I faxed the letter right away.
biggrin.gif

I understand what options I have under the 2nd Class Medical. My plans are to start training the first week in November @ Ari-ben Aviator in Ft. Pierce, FL. I'm enrolling in the Pro Pilot Course; PPL thru CFI & MEI. Total cost including housing, check rides etc. is roughly $47K.

Doug, Dr. Forred and all those who were pulling for me...I thank you!!!

See ya on the flightdeck.

Blue skies.

Marcus
(atpwannabe)

Congratulations! Must be quite a load off your shoulders.

I understand what options I have under the 2nd Class Medical. My plans are to start training the first week in November @ Ari-ben Aviator in Ft. Pierce, FL. I'm enrolling in the Pro Pilot Course; PPL thru CFI & MEI. Total cost including housing, check rides etc. is roughly $47K.
The way I'm reading this is that you don't have your private yet. So what happens if you get in the air and discover that flying's not for you? Are you still contracted into completing the course, or can you out?

Regardless, that price sounds pretty reasonable for starting from nothing these days. Certainly comparable to my flight school (the "local FBO", as folk 'round here say).

Congrats on the 2nd class medical...but you need to proceed with some sort of caution spending that much money at any flight school without knowing for sure if you can hold a 1st class medical. Any future airline job is going to require you to bring one to an interview. Good luck and hope it all works out.

DeltaAVL:

You're right...it is a load off my shoulders! I am a career changer and am 46 yrs old; and have been researching flight schools for the last 3-4 years; always wanted to be a pilot...specifically an airline pilot. Finished ERAU back in '87; most of my experience has been in airport management and operations. This change is a no brainer.

MusketeerMan:

Thanks alot buddy. I appreciate the encouragement. I had one blip on my CHRC. It occurred in 7/07. Because of the charge...I may not, as of right now, meet the criteria of "good moral character". Time has a way of healing wounds and I see this as no different. Besides, with the way how things are in the industry, I won't need it within the next 12 months anyway. I can get my licenses, ratings and instruct while building ME & TT like crazy. When things do pick up again...I should be golden. At least that's the plan.

atp

I know plenty of people with questionable morals who hold 1st Class medicals....hang in there and start living your life like it counts! Cuz it does!

Congrats on the 2nd class medical...but you need to proceed with some sort of caution spending that much money at any flight school without knowing for sure if you can hold a 1st class medical. Any future airline job is going to require you to bring one to an interview. Good luck and hope it all works out.
until you reach 35, 1st and 2nd have the exact same requirements. check out part 67 (or maybe 65, it is late) :)

until you reach 35, 1st and 2nd have the exact same requirements. check out part 67 (or maybe 65, it is late) :)

1. He's 46
2. Even if he was under 35, he'd still need the 1st class medical. Pretty much all airlines require you to show up at the interview with a 1st class medical..regardless of your age.

1. He's 46
2. Even if he was under 35, he'd still need the 1st class medical. Pretty much all airlines require you to show up at the interview with a 1st class medical..regardless of your age.
i understand the 1st class thing, i am just pointing out until the age of 35 (didn't know his age) the requirements are the same so if you can get a 2nd you can get a 1st. but if i had known his age......

i understand the 1st class thing, i am just pointing out until the age of 35 (didn't know his age) the requirements are the same so if you can get a 2nd you can get a 1st. but if i had known his age......

OK...gotcha....but if it's not for medical reasons, he's not necessarily guaranteed a first due to some past actions as he's stated.

Back