Got a death wish??? Here's the job for you...

Re: Got a death wish??? Here\'s the job for you...

I bought some nice big electrical extention cords at Wal-Mart one night after dinner.. eh.. yeah, It was useful at 8:30pm when nobody is there. Last time I was there before that was 3rd grade.

[ QUOTE ]
We need a Playboy's Girls of Waffle House.................

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if any of them would qualify, Mike!

[ QUOTE ]
We need a Playboy's Girls of Waffle House.................

[/ QUOTE ]
Um - no. No, we don't.

laugh.gif

Ack!

That's just wrong, on so many levels!

Fun meter: Zero.

Does anyone know the name of the other contractor, the one that has the OV-10's?

Unfortunately Wal-Mart is the only department store close to where I live. Well, there is K-Mart, but they suck worse. The only thing I usually go for is Outdoors stuff. I have to admit though, when I was in Fresno, the Wal-Mart there had some HOT Cashiers!!!!
cool.gif
Getting into the one in Uniontown PA is like driving through an auto show. You got all the "COOL KIDS" (rich bas**rds) with their cars and trucks that are louder than lawnmowers burning tire in the parking lot and playing loud BOOM BOOM music. You get sick of it. It's like they have nothing to do so they go up to Wal-Mart like they have something to prove with their buzz-saw car exhausts. They always try to start trouble with someone. Man talk about a nice time to have one of you A-10 pilots around!
grin.gif
Just go by and strafe em' once, they would never be back
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know the name of the other contractor, the one that has the OV-10's?

[/ QUOTE ]

The CIA maybe? Just a guess, but it wouldn't suprise me at all.

A day late but ... this months Playboy has an article that slams the entire Wal-Mart empire.

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you mount a spray system on the underside of an A-10, I'm interested.
smile.gif
I always thought of the low and slow flying in the A-10 like being in a jet powered crop duster.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's being done. By the same outfit that flies the drug eradication missions. The way the A-10 was built around the Gatling gun lends itself real handily to the mods.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looking for candidates who would be interested in working in Colombia. Position is spraying coca plants as part of the DOS eradication effort under Plan Colombia. Position contengent upon contract award from USG. If interested in placing your name on our call list to be contacted after contract award, please forward your resume. You MUST be an experienced crop duster to apply. Will provide all details on pay/benefits during initial call after contract award. Expect to start interviews March/April 04.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the guys that fly the Air Tractor planes that do the dusting. A separate contractor employs the OV-10 Bronco and UH-1 pilots for the other side of the same operation from the same base.

If you into the $$$$ as much as I am, this ain't a bad job.

The way I look at it, I'm already doing a job where I get shot at when I deploy to the middle east. As a Captain, I pull down about $52K/yr to get shot at. Why not triple that pay for the same risk?

Doug, getting bored with sipping coffee at FL350 yet? Give Little Joey a call too.

[/ QUOTE ]

PAE (the company who posted the link for the help wanted) has not gotten the contract for the drug eradication. They're just trying to get their ducks in a row. They have bid on it, and they think they'll get it, but at the present time the contract is held by a company called EAST, Inc. operating out of Patrick AFB and based in the State Department Air Wing hangar. They have traditionally flown the Ayres Thrush like I have only with a PT-6-65 on front, an extra seat added via a stretched fuselage and some strategically placed ceramic armor. The bankruptcy of the Ayres factory two years ago caused the contract for the aircraft to be given to Air Tractor, Inc. who are modding their AT-802's for the mission. They might have a few on line, but the bulk of the work is still done by the Thrushes.

As noted, EAST also uses the OV-10D for the spray mission and they are presently modding an A-10 for the job too. They also fly the helicopters and some light Cessnas for spotting the drugs. Besides the State Dept. employees, EAST pilots are the only ones doing this stuff. Work schedule is 2 weeks on, 2 off. Pay is around $105K/yr with some excellent bennies, including a big ole chunk of life insurance.

Believe it or not the job, while obviously hazardous, is not as bad as it may seem.

[ QUOTE ]

I actually considered the Colombia job- no dusting experience but have shootin experience. Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

When the drug eradication program was initiated, in the early 80's, they tried transitioning military pilots into the seats. But they had problems, nothing that experience and time wouldn't cure, but the government wanted the job done NOW. So, they found it easier to take experienced crop dusters and use them.

Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting some long dead threads, but I thought you guys might like to know the whole story.
smile.gif

Back