Good "You're the captain"

Re: Good \"You\'re the captain\"

Stop the plane right in the middle of the taxiway and
yell over the PA; "Dammit, would you like to to stop this plane right now and let you walk all the way to the gate!" "Cause that's what I'm about to do! Oh wait, that's what I'd do if my kids were giving me the attitude. . . Nevermind.

BTW I'm pretty sure that would be the best response to HR if the scenario came up in an interview.

I'd continue to the gate but then once the aircraft is secured I'd pull a "Meet the Parents" ...I'd look at the passengers with the cell phones... (as I begin to converse with them on their way out) no need to raise your voice, please calm down, I'm going to ask you to relax and lower your tone...I'm going to ask you one moorre...okay we need security....I always enjoy fighting ignorance with stupidity (or is it the other way around?)
But not before I show them who is the boss of this here jet.

Clem

[ QUOTE ]
Stop the plane right in the middle of the taxiway and
yell over the PA; "Dammit, would you like to to stop this plane right now and let you walk all the way to the gate!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll turn this plane right around and go home!
grin.gif

Can I answer or am I forbidden?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can I answer or am I forbidden?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL go for it! This was just a topic of discussion between a few pilots and a bunch of F/As in the crew lounge the other night. I'll post what we came up with later.
smile.gif

I think in this case I'd have the flight attendant tell me who these passengers were and try to address them as they're deplaning in the jetway (if you've got one) in a 'non-threatening'/'This is why we need to talk tone'.

Usually, when "irate" people are confronted in a situation/setting where they feel like they're not having to prove their bravado in a public setting, the tone generally changes from one of aggression to one of "holy crap ,the captain/uniformed pilot is talking to me and I've overstepped my bounds" and tend to listen up a little better.

Maybe even throw in the story about how when the American Airlines jet crashed in LIT where the NTSB found lots of cellphones that were still turned on and the crew noted some navigational irregularities during the approach and landing.

Personally, I've been on some flights where we've had some pretty nasty 'map shift' in the weather where the flight attendants noted that a few passengers were trying to use cellular telephones and once she got them off the telephone, the 'map shift' subsided.

I, personally, am not a fan of cellular telephone use on aircraft.

Man I'd get on my cell phone and call the ... oh wait I can't do that.
Why do people have to be such arse holes, there are alot of people out there that think the norms and rules of society don't apply to them. I pitty those of you out there that have to deal with idiots like this. I was in CVG tonight and some d*ck head was giving a CSR rep a royal chewing out because he missed his connection flight, not his fault but not hers either. I was about feeling sorry for her untill she unloaded on him and put him in his place, great job.

We had a big discussion about this in our crew lounge the other day. More like some F/As were discussing what they would do about a passenger using their cell phone, with me listening in.
smile.gif

Anyways, if it were me, I would just ask the F/A, "Would you like us to say something to those passengers at the gate?" If he/she says no, then I'd just leave it at that. If they would like action to be taken, I would just go back and politely inform the passengers that our policy remains the same about cell phone use, and we apologize for the confusion and inconvienience. However I ask they keep that in mind for the next time, and please be more understanding with our flight attendants. They are just trying to enforce the policies as instructed by the company, and do not deserve insults. I'd refrain from making a PA, just so I could pay attention to the task at hand (taxiing).

I think a lot of F/As would just say "fine, whatever" and tell us after all the passengers have disembarked. It just depends though. Some F/As (often younger ones) will call the cockpit regarding every departure from the norm (like when they are hit on by passengers for instance). Others with more experience will handle it themselves and not bother us while in sterile cockpit operations. As long as they aren't creating a large safety issue, or creating an uncomfortable situation for the F/A, then it really isn't a huge deal on the ground (after all it does say in the offical press release we are approved). In flight, it would be a different issue, particularly on approach.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people have to be such arse holes, there are alot of people out there that think the norms and rules of society don't apply to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it also has to do with how we are living in the Microwave era...I want it now and Im not going to wait.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, just let it go. Even in-flight, all cell phone use is going to do is run the the risk of having their service shut off.

It's an FCC thing, not an FAA one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is VERY MUCH an FAA 'thing'!!! There was a DHC 8 crew that had some issues with some of their instruments that were lated attributed to a person using their cell phone in flight - they were seated right where the wing crosses the fuselage - there are some magic 'flux capacitor' type boxes in that area that the cell phone interfered with.

Also, the cargo smoke detectors in the CRJ are very prone to electronic interference from cell phones and pagers in baggage and the last few rows of the cabin. They become more prone to it the older they get. At Midway we had a rash of these problems leading to many false 'cargo smoke' warnings. Needless to say a cargo smoke warning is a big deal and this lead to several RTB's and blown bottles.

That's why it's an FAA thing.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I would stand in the cockpit doorway and(all 6'6, 290lb of me) would calmly asked if there was a problem. something tells me that might calm the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know, one of the passengers using the cell phone is going to be drunk or at least "had a few" and will see you as a challenge to his manly-hood. He will start with you. but If I were you in that situation, call security let them deal with him.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, just let it go. Even in-flight, all cell phone use is going to do is run the the risk of having their service shut off.

It's an FCC thing, not an FAA one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is VERY MUCH an FAA 'thing'!!! There was a DHC 8 crew that had some issues with some of their instruments that were lated attributed to a person using their cell phone in flight - they were seated right where the wing crosses the fuselage - there are some magic 'flux capacitor' type boxes in that area that the cell phone interfered with.

Also, the cargo smoke detectors in the CRJ are very prone to electronic interference from cell phones and pagers in baggage and the last few rows of the cabin. They become more prone to it the older they get. At Midway we had a rash of these problems leading to many false 'cargo smoke' warnings. Needless to say a cargo smoke warning is a big deal and this lead to several RTB's and blown bottles.

That's why it's an FAA thing.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be an Urban legend. I have used my cell phone in the cockpit of almost every type of aircraft out there, including Fine Air DC8s. Nothing happened.

Nokia phones make a lot of noise over the headset intercom, but that's about it.

I never get a signal above 1000' or so, so this was all on the ground.

I dunno' the technical specifics of how it all works but I personally had 2 false(and intermittent) cargo smokes on final in 2 different CRJ's, there was a crew at MYR(I think - did we fly the CRJ there??) that blew the bottle because of a false cargo smoke and 1 crew that returned to RDU because of one - all of these at MDY in the early summer of '01. The mechanics said that as the cargo smoke detectors reach a certain point in their 'time in service' they become more prone to the interferrence - and all of the CRJ's at MDY were reaching this 'benchmark' at the time - and when we wrote it up the fix was always to install a new detector. The mechs said it's usually attributed to a pager or cell phone that was left on in someone's baggage and they would get a message as we descended into the 'service area' OR someone sitting in the last couple of rows using their cell phones.

This guy may have been high on crack - I don't know - but I've heard the same thing from people at Bombardier - it has something to do with the type of detector the chose to install.

Jason

PS - I make no warranties of any thing I may say - I'm just a purveyor of information
laugh.gif

It's not an urban legend. I've read a number of articles on this topic by people who supposedly know what they're talking about (the only one I can think of now was in the last issue of Air & Space Smithsonian). Cell phones have all-kinda frequency bleed and tend to interere with other electronic devices in general. There are also many anecdotal stories of strange intereference with airplane black boxes which the reporters often believe were caused by cellphones and pagers. The problem is these problems can almost never be replicated on the grounds. So proof (of safety or danger) is almost impossible to come by.

The question is whether we accept the risk that a freak cell phone signal might one day cause a glideslope error on a loaded 747 at a particularly inopportune moment. Or do we just tell people to turn their G.D. cell phones during the first and last 15 minutes of flight?

MF

Well at one time we maintained that HDs in laptop computers were causing problems with the FMS in the cockpit.

This was back when you'd see maybe one or two laptops on the plane.

Now that there are 95 laptops out for every 100 people nobody says anything anymore!

I still don't believe a cell phone can cause any more interference than the 50watt air to ground radio in the nose. Or TCAS. Or radar.

Really, this is getting ridicuolous.

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't believe a cell phone can cause any more interference than the 50watt air to ground radio in the nose. Or TCAS. Or radar.

Really, this is getting ridicuolous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...we agree!!
grin.gif

Remember, JT...there are alot of anti-cell phone folks.

They're usually very lonely....
grin.gif

I'm not anti-cell phones per se. Just anti-cell phones anywhere near me. Because it's all about me. And I'm not lonely. I have my cat to keep me company. And tell me what to do.
insane.gif

Anyway, it's hardly ridiculous to be wary of cell phones on planes. Electronics do all sorts of goofy things to each other. This morning, I called my mother on the way home from the airport (yes, Virginia, I am a hypocrite). While I was sitting at a traffic light waiting to turn, I noticed an odd, intermittent static-buzzing noise over the cell phone. After a couple seconds, I realized that the buzz was in sequence with my truck's turn signal. The buzz went away as soon as I turned off my turn signal. I can't imagine how the turn signal could have been generating interference that would have been picked up by the cell phone, but it apparently was. Go figure.

MF

Can't get reliable coverage in the air, believe me, I know a couple guys that experimented with it. Maybe down low, but at that point, all PEDs are generally instructed to be turned off.

Cellphones are nothing more than "electronic MSG" -- some folks don't care, other folks think it's the boogey man in airplanes.

I'm not really against it as long as people use some friggen manners, but that's not the society we live in unfortunately!

So as we're boarding, I've got to listen to LeRoy talk loudly about his business meeting, some chick he met at Chilis, his wife's bunions, what cereal to pick up at the grocery store and whatnot!
smile.gif

My friend's dad has a private airport, and from time to time we'd fly up there from BNA. Anyhoo, we'd circle over the house, call him on the phone and ask him what direction the winds were coming from. unless we were below 800 AGL, we couldn't get coverage.

However, I've forgotten my phone and left it on while flying, and there I am at 5000' on a X-Country, explaing to my student why he's lost when..." Excuse me. Hello? Hey! I'm over Dickson, I'll be on the ground in 10 minutes...I'll give you a call then".

Go figure!
grin.gif

Back