Good x-country destinations

ROSWELL41

I'll be heading back home for Purdue in under two weeks. Apart from working over Christmas break, I want to get some good flying in. At most, I would say I have an opportunity for four flights. I'm based at KOXC in Oxford, CT. I've flown VFR into ORD, so I was thinking maybe heading into JFK and/or BOS. Also, since I've flown in Indiana for the last four months, I think I wanna fly to some maritime like ACK or MVY. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

A friend and I are actually planning a trip into LGA, just to say we did it. The landing and ramp fees aren't bad, as long as you don't stay long!!!

For the scenic stuff and a great flight, ACK and MVY are terrific. Pretty much a straight shot through PVD Class C after which you talk to Cape Approach. You might also consider stopping in at Hyannis on the Cape or at BID in Long Island Sound. Further north isn't bad either. Flying into Portland ME and raking a taxi somewhere for lobster ain't bad.

If you haven't checked, go to the "Advanced" page at AirNav. http://www.airnav.com/airports/search.html You can specify Oxford and say how far you want to go and get a bunch of ideas.

I think I definetely want to head into JFK and LGA. If you could only do one, which would it be? I would be going in VFR. I'm looking for the greater challenge.

A word on LGA: peak hours landing fee was quoted at $144.44 (0800 - 2100 local). Off peak = $44.44 (2101 - 0759 local). First hour parking free, $25.00 per 8 hour block thereafter. The same can be said for Kennedy. Call before you go. Personally I'd fly into Teterboro, NJ. If you're going to go to NYC you might as well stay a while and enjoy the city. Teterboro can be just as busy if not busier than JFK or LGA but a little easier on the wallet
smile.gif

I've done Kennedy and Newark several times, not very difficult to do beyond the costs. Haven't done LGA, but it'd be fine too. Kennedy is probably easier, but remember that there is no FBO there ... just the Port Authority parking and money collection building ... though they do have nice bathrooms and a phone there. Taxis are readily available and the PA will van-ride you to/from the terminals. Terminal parking buses lead to the subway, and from there anywhere in the city is in reach.

If you want to do Class Bs and don't mind going a little further, PHL is not a bad trip and on certain days of the week Atlantic Aviation offers pretty steep discounts on Avgas, call them to check. IAD would be a good trip, Piedmont is a good FBO there, and after the 15th you can check out the Smithsonian annex there.

If you hit BWI, ask the Signature desk about an Italian place in Linthicum ... just a few minutes drive away, Signature recommended it the last time I was through there, and it was pretty good. (Of course, I don't remember the name of it now.)

There are on-airport restaurants at Frederick (FDK, home of AOPA) and Barnes (BAF) in central Mass.

Enjoy the flying!

FL270

[ QUOTE ]

If you hit BWI, ask the Signature desk about an Italian place in Linthicum

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

That place is great. Went there one night and loved it. Flying W in NJ is the place I'd recomned. You can swim in their airplane shaped pool or play a round of golf on their golf course. I think they even have horse back riding there.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Keep em coming. I'm not really planning on going into the city as NYC is only a 1.5 hr drive from my house. I'm looking to get some good experience in the Bravo airspace. I've only landed in ORD twice at night, so I'd like to get into the NYC airports during the day. Of course, I'd like to avoid peak hours. How receptive is the NY Tracon to VFR landings at JFK during peak hours? Will they even let you in? ORD App told me over the phone that for them the best time would be after 11pm and thats when we went both times.

LGA is pretty much at "peak" traffic all throughout the day. However, aside from like 3pm-8pm, the traffic at JFK is fairly light. This is because many of the flights are trans-atlantic and depart around the same time. Also unlike LGA, you can really see a lot of cool planes from all over the world at JFK.

By the way, I'm from Long Island and I will be going to Purdue next fall. How was your first semester there, and did you find it hard adjusting to living in Indiana?

Viper,
My first semester at Purdue has been interesting to say the least. I flew 50 hrs for school (I'm in flight) and flew a good amount with others in Purdue Pilots Inc. I was also just recently elected an officer in the club. I came into Purdue with a lot of AP credit, so I was able to take three gen-ed classes in addition to the aviation stuff. The courses have been relatively easy for me. I'm pretty sure I have an A avg (knock on wood, exams are next week). I've met many cool people, including Neil Harrison [PurduePilot] who has been a great resource and friend. I've flown a lot and I love being able to eat, sleep and breathe aviation. All that being said. I am from Connecticut, and had spent next to no time in the midwest prior to coming here. I knew that Purdue was a big school, but other than that didnt know what to expect (and I visited prior to coming). As far as the city of Lafayette/West Lafayette, there is relatively little of interest off campus. Wabash Landing and the Chauncey Hill area contain pretty much all the shopping and entertainment you're gonna get (aside from Walmart). The social life consists pretty much of fraternity sponsored parties and the house party deal. Some also bring the party to their dorm rooms at their own risk. Things have quieted down considerably since the first few weeks of school, almost to a 'boring' level. To be quite honest, I look forward to flying as it is my only means of getting away from Purdue for a while. Christmas break will be a great change of scenery. I've been home only two days since I came out here on August 15th. Overall, I'm still happy with Purdue, I've met a great bunch of people and as far as aviation goes, Purdue has a lock on number one. Hope this helps. Dont hesitate to ask anything else thats on your mind.

Back