Good time to start training?

Shiftace

s***posting with decency. trolling with integrity.
hello friends:

up until now age used to be the factor - i am almost 28 and have always wanted to be a commercial pilot. I finally decided to go for it - and wanted to start sometime in January and get my PPL thru CPL. i have a bachelors degree in softwre engineering

but looking at the economy and the way the market stands - esp in my home country of india.. am scared to go ahead. Also if did my training in the US, I will be an international student here.

what do u guys think? is this a good time to get started? or just sit by and wait. or just totally forget the idea and be happy with IT?

cheers

hello friends:

up until now age used to be the factor - i am almost 28 and have always wanted to be a commercial pilot. I finally decided to go for it - and wanted to start sometime in January and get my PPL thru CPL. i have a bachelors degree in softwre engineering

but looking at the economy and the way the market stands - esp in my home country of india.. am scared to go ahead. Also if did my training in the US, I will be an international student here.

what do u guys think? is this a good time to get started? or just sit by and wait. or just totally forget the idea and be happy with IT?

cheers

I brought up this very topic with CaptainBob last night at the JC Reception in Las Vegas. CaptainBob and I both agreed that the time to get things done is now. If you wait for the next hiring boom (which I think is coming next Spring), it is going to be too late. It is not going to be a long term hiring boom like we saw the last couple of years. Students need to time their training so they are ready for the next level just as, or right before things pick up again.

Michael

Well Sunny, I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that anytime is a good time to start. Maybe it's not a good time to start an 'accelerated' program because you are just going to rush through a program and be unemployed (possibly).

In my opinion, just because few are hiring, does not mean that there is not going to be a need for more pilots in the future. If everyone interested in flying decided not to pursue because of the economy, well I think there would be a shortage of pilots some time down the line. I have little experience in aviation and I'm only expressing my opinion.

Hi Sunny,

My advice is to start flight training as soon as it is fiscally feasible for you if that is truly where your heart is. That doesn't mean to go off thinking with your emotions and just do it. Flight training is expensive and if you go in without a financial plan, you will be hating life for a very, very, very long time. Come up with a plan, work the plan, and go train when you can afford it.

I started my flight training in 1990 but had to leave aviation in 1993 due to a variety of personal reasons. At that time I had my Commercial ASEL/AMEL, and Instrument rating and about 300 hours. I was crushed.

Compounding the personal issues I was having at the time, the aviation industry was in the dump, and several airline Unions were on strike during the early 1990s following deregulation and the economic recession of the 1980s. It wasn't looking good for aspiring pilots and I decided that it would be best for my family if I dropped out of aviation and pursued a more traditional job, like engineering, which I did...and hated.

I wish I had been able to find a way to take care of the situation I was in and still be able to pursue an aviation career, but it was what it was. Today I am in a better position to re-enter the aviation scene and my wife is very supportive of me trying to follow the dream I had since I was a child. I have NEVER stopped thinking about flying, the song remains the same.

I don't give a rat's @ss what the industry is like right now, or how old I am, those factors are beyond my control. What I can control is whether or not I am prepared when opportunity knocks, and sooner or later it will. In the mean time, I will get my CFI and do that part-time while I continue to pursue my CFII, MEI, and gather whatever additional experience I can.

Someone once said, "There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those." Take that advice, but do it responsibly.

I live just down the road from you. Are you planning on doing your flight training at Andrews University, Western Michigan University, or somewhere else? If you'd like to sit down sometime and talk about aviation face to face, shoot me a PM.

Hello folks!

Thanks for all the replies. MOdernicarus - i sent you a PM. Am looking at an FBO in Valpo that am looking to do my training at.

am looking to start maybe in February 2009 or so. Accelerated is something am not particularly leaning towards.

More after u reply to my PM!

Cheers

Michael, why do you think airlines will be hiring in the spring?

I was planning to start training in March, but am having second thoughts after reading about the economy and the lack of jobs. What's the point of getting all the ratings and then being unemployed when I finish?

Michael, why do you think airlines will be hiring in the spring?

I was planning to start training in March, but am having second thoughts after reading about the economy and the lack of jobs. What's the point of getting all the ratings and then being unemployed when I finish?

I think the airlines made a knee-jerk reaction to the current situation. Oil has dropped (and ok, the economy isn't the greatest right now) and the airlines will start hedging like there is no tomorrow. That will keep costs down and allow airlines to keep some of their flying that they were going to cut. Couple new flying at some regionals next Spring and the attrition rate at some of the other regionals, there is going to be a hiring frenzy to staff aircraft for the vacation season.

I will let you know for sure after I talk to 4 airline recruiters next Monday and Tuesday. :D

Michael:

Still going to be at the Career fair in Chicago on the 28th?

Cheers

Sunny

I am planning on stopping by - what time will you be?

Cheers

Sunny

hope to catch you then! unless i have a job interview or something come up!

Cheers

Michael:

I have an interview setup for Tuesday late Tuesday morning in downtown Chicago. I will keep you posted and will try and swing by after am done!

Cheers

Sunny

Back