Good instrument training book?

Andy5466

Just started my instrument and was wondering if y'all had any good recommendations for some instrument training books that are helpful but don't put you to sleep.

Thanks Andy5466

Honestly, I think the new Instrument Flying Handbook is pretty well laid out and informative. Not really a snoozer like some of the FAA books can be.

If you need entertainment along with education I'd go with Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual. Jeppesen and Gleim also make good manuals...boring, but you'll get what you need out of them.

If you need entertainment along with education I'd go with Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual. Jeppesen and Gleim also make good manuals...boring, but you'll get what you need out of them.

Lol, Rod's book are like trying to listen to an old, drunk uncles jokes at a Christmas party ;) there's some good info in there but the dumb jokes I find too distracting. Even more so at $50. If your going to use his stuff look for a used one on eBay. The paper copies are -$65, iPad apps $49

Just started my instrument and was wondering if y'all had any good recommendations for some instrument training books that are helpful but don't put you to sleep.

Thanks Andy5466
i have to have visual aid. the cessna series with machado and the king people was super helpful. it really would have been cool with just rod because the other two are hard to watch

I used them in conjunction with the Dauntless app and the FAA books. I extracted them and shrank them to a portable format So i could watch them on business trips when away, or the DVD at home.

Worked well for me.

Jeppesen Insturment Commerical book is pretty good, but they are proud of it at $90 even for a digital copy.

I dont have the link anymore but make sure you google the "Instrument Know All" handout and know that. It's like 15 pages of the need to know stuff and is a perfect study guide and review material.

might I also suggest the WW2 Air corps instrument manual. I personally enjoy the vintage cartoons.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I had the Sporty's DVDs. I liked them. I gave most of them to a friend but I still have IFR Communications and the Air Facts IFR Risk Management if you think those might be useful.

..>Thats the one, it's all you need to know, the rest is really technique. I liked the "Cleared for Approach" book from the Kings. Can't stand to watch the vids but the book was good.

Back