Good Instrument Instuctor Qualities

montana

I just passed my private checkride about three days ago (I love saying that) and am needing to get started on instrument work. What are some qualities in a person that make a great instrument flight instructor?

A lot of patience. Pretty much the same qualities as a regular CFI. Be willing to give dual in a sim...some guys don't like it cause they can't log it as flight time.

Make sure the CFII has a plan. Nothing worse than getting in a plane and hearing, "Let's see, what do you want to do today?"

Go to an ATP (active) who would be very aware of the ATC system, and all the latest changes of airspace and approaches.

I can think of a zillion other things, but I'm too tired to type
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
your username is montana, are you from MT? if so where did you do your training?

Kelly

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't live there right now, but I lived there for two years in Missoula. My wife and I will be going back as soon as she finsishes up grad school here in Texas (Ft. Worth). Where do you live montanapilot?

All they really need to be able to do/say is:

"Watch your altitude"

"Watch your heading"

grin.gif

Seriously, find someone who can explain the procedures and rules to you in a way you can understand. Unlike the private, where things kind of made sense because they had to (i.e. physics says an airplane will do this, this and this when these conditions apply), instrument is, essentially, like learning to fly all over again but this time with a rule set that is for the most part completely arbitrary. In other words, you're learning to fly in the "system" and in order to do that you need to lean and understand the "system."

Huh you guys are beginning to make me think my instructor isn't the greatest... He:

Isn't patient and snaps a lot. Has yelled in the past.
Doesn't give dual in a sim
Always asks me "Where do you want to go today?"
Doesn't say much but "Watch your heading, watch your altitude, and sure is smooth huh?" in light chop

I would add someone who can at least have a little fun, will take you in the clouds vs. avoid them, and has some experience.

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure the CFII has a plan. Nothing worse than getting in a plane and hearing, "Let's see, what do you want to do today?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen to THAT!!! My first IR instructor was that guy and also turned into this guy:

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't patient and snaps a lot. Has yelled in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
... right before I canned him and found my current instructor.

If you are an instructor, take heed of the things you read on this thread. Not only did my first instructor cost himself a student, he also cost his FBO about $15,000.00 of my training funds as I promptly took myself and my money elsewhere.

Find yourself an instructor who you "click" with. Do a checkout flight with them to see how they interact in the cockpit.

Only you know how you learn and what type of person you interact well with. It's a MUST that you are able to communicate with your instructor and not feel intimidated by him/her.

Good luck!! Keep us posted.

R2F

Back