Good dispatch school, but: Online education vs. face-to-face course?

BJJ

Hello everyone,

I’ve decided to go to an aircraft dispatch school in Florida near where I live. So, it’s not a question of which school should I attend.

The school offers:

(A) a 5-week in-person, face-to-face training course;

and, as an alternative to the 5-week face-to face course, they also offer:

(B) an online distance education course that takes anywhere from 2-4 months to complete (they call this ‘Phase I’ of the entire course) followed up by a one-week residency course (they call this ‘Phase II’ of the entire course) where you go to the facility for a week of face-to-face training once you complete the ‘Phase I’ online, distance education part of the entire course.

So, here’s my question/inquiry: I’m wondering if a dispatcher course that incorporates distance education (plus the one-week residency) can measure up to a 5-week face-to-face to course. Can I learn as much? (Also, let’s assume the distance learning course is put together well.)

It’s not about disciplining myself for the online course and meeting the timelines. This I can do. I’ve taken online courses before. I have a Ph.D. in another field, and actually currently teach online courses (again, in a completely different field) for a university.

I don’t know what kind of ‘hands on’ experience one might have in the first 4 weeks of a 5-week face-to-face dispatcher course that might be lost if that 4-week content was essentially taken online.

Is there anyone who can answer my question(s) based on experience (not based on speculation, please)?

Thanks,

JJ

I think the decision really boils down to what you have time to do. I did the 5 week face-to-face course at IFOD and I found that to be very helpful. I had been out of the aviation field for about a year at the time and doing the 8-5 m-f crunch worked better for me. Not everyone has the opportunity or ability to do the face-to-face due to work, family, etc. My current place of employment does the online education for employees who come here without their dispatch and it has seemed to work out well for them. The biggest factor for that would be the self study, which you seem to not have a problem with. Best of luck with your decision!

almezz,

Wow, I didn't expect such a quick response. Thanks for your info. Good to hear the online education has worked out for the employees you mentioned.

Fortunately, I do have the time to do a 5-week face-to-face course during the summer. Again, I just don't know if I would learn more face-to-face. I guess it would be hard for anyone to really answer, except if for some reason they had done both venues (for whatever reason)-- and assuming their self-study habits were up to par for the online education.

In any case, thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

I would also say if you don't have aviation experience (like me when I went through school) you may want face to face instead

DispatcherSam,

I have a Private Pilot license, but it's not current (got it years ago, but it's still valid; would have to get a current medical and get signed off on a bi-annual check ride). That said, I'm reviewing my private pilot ground school course. Have done some flying recently (about 10 hours with an instructor). Bottom line, I do need to hone up on the info contained in the PPL ground school course. All of my PPL ground school was self-study, and I got 100% on the written exam (but, again, this was years ago).

If you are able, I would recommend going to the 5 week course. First off, you get it all over and done with sooner, which will allow you to find a job sooner as well, if that is your end goal. Second, you are able to get answers to any questions quicker as well as bounce ideas, scenarios, etc off of other students/instructors. I don't know what the break down is on what you learn online and then what you go over in class for that week, but I'm more of a hands on learner so it was an easy choice for me.

ajmezz,

Thanks again for your post. The timeline of finishing would be the same whichever venue I take, But, you wrote, "Second, you are able to get answers to any questions quicker as well as bounce ideas, scenarios, etc off of other students/instructors." This is, essentially, something a friend of mine also just said to me tonight as well-- which makes sense, of course-- and may be the deciding factor.

I appreciate your input.

Kind regards,

JJ

Go to the five week all in class course. You will be able to make more connections with fellow dispatchers. Networking is key to advancement in dispatch jobs. Take advantage of any opportunity that allows you to get ahead.

Flagship_dxer,

That's a good point. Thanks for taking the time to post your input.

JJ

I did the distance learning + 2weeks in class, because I couldn't take 5weeks off from work.
Both options give you a dispatch license. We all have different learning styles; know how to study.... Do whatever is best for you.

I ended up doing an online portion and week in class. I know I learn better on my own and can get bored in a classroom setting if it's going slow, so that's why I chose online. I only had a PPL, but resources to ask if I got confused about something online. I found also you'll have to be willing to read outside the curriculum too. I added in a book about turbine systems to really help myself understand.
When I showed up to class I was ready to pass the oral and all I had left was to learn flight planning. It took a lot of stress off of the class, which I know other people felt who weren't too clear on some of the subjects. If you're not comfortable with a subject by the class, make sure you know what you're confused about and have the questions ready.
It's a lot more work than some people are prepared for sometimes and you really have to be careful about your time and use it wisely. I also made sure I was done with the online portion a month before I went, then I focused on and passed the ADX within 2 weeks and the last two weeks I focused on reviewing flashcards I made before I went. It worked out pretty well for me, but I know everyone in my class didn't do it the same way I did.

It all depends on t
Hello everyone,

I’ve decided to go to an aircraft dispatch school in Florida near where I live. So, it’s not a question of which school should I attend.

The school offers:

(A) a 5-week in-person, face-to-face training course;

and, as an alternative to the 5-week face-to face course, they also offer:

(B) an online distance education course that takes anywhere from 2-4 months to complete (they call this ‘Phase I’ of the entire course) followed up by a one-week residency course (they call this ‘Phase II’ of the entire course) where you go to the facility for a week of face-to-face training once you complete the ‘Phase I’ online, distance education part of the entire course.

So, here’s my question/inquiry: I’m wondering if a dispatcher course that incorporates distance education (plus the one-week residency) can measure up to a 5-week face-to-face to course. Can I learn as much? (Also, let’s assume the distance learning course is put together well.)

It’s not about disciplining myself for the online course and meeting the timelines. This I can do. I’ve taken online courses before. I have a Ph.D. in another field, and actually currently teach online courses (again, in a completely different field) for a university.

I don’t know what kind of ‘hands on’ experience one might have in the first 4 weeks of a 5-week face-to-face dispatcher course that might be lost if that 4-week content was essentially taken online.

Is there anyone who can answer my question(s) based on experience (not based on speculation, please)?

Thanks,

JJ

I don't know that anyone can provide an experienced-based answer because they're probably not a lot of dispatchers who have taken a dispatch residence course AND online course. I completed my dispatch course in residence, and a masters degree online, so I have some frame of reference with which to answer. And the answer is, it depends on how well the course is put together. A well designed online course should offer message boards, chat rooms, etc, for peer-to-peer interaction, as well as instructor-student feedback. In fact, most of my masters courses required that kind of activity in order to pass the course.

Bear in mind that all dispatcher courses have to be approved by the FAA. In order to gain such approval, the course had to demonstrate that, among other things, it adequately covered all the required material.

With regard to networking, if the online course offers the features i mentioned above, you will have plenty of networking opportunities with your classmates, both online and in the classroom phase, so I wouldn't concern yourself with that.

I suggest you contact the online school and ask for a demo. A reputable school shouldn't have a problem with making that available for you.

Best of luck with what you decide.

I did the online course with AGS and a week in CVG. I guess if I had to do it again I would have liked to do mine at Sheffield in FLL and do the full 5 weeks. I think face to face is a better option if you can do it. I don't know about dispatch but in regards to other airman certs they dont care where you got it just that you have it and what experience you bring to the table.

Back