Golden Gate Bridge

aloft

Jeez my office has a great view sometimes! Taken Saturday while on the clock:

[yt]dYx3M3g95OU[/yt]

[yt]Is983H0J-j4[/yt]

Great View....Are you still with the Aerial Mapping outfit? If so, what kind of work do they have you doing now that 'the season' is over....

Jeez my office has a great view sometimes! Taken Saturday while on the clock:

[yt]dYx3M3g95OU[/yt]

[yt]Is983H0J-j4[/yt]
what time? I was on the Pt Reyes arrival yesterday afternoon. I can tell from the shadow it was much earlier than me. We departed SFO, and were over the Bay Bridge around 1655.
Inbound it was closer to 1920.

Most of the contracts dictate "leaf-off" conditions, but not all, since the leaves never come off the trees in some places (like Orange County, which we just finished a few weeks ago). So some of the summer work are those "leaf-on" contracts. I'm doing some re-shoots of stuff that was missed/didn't turn out/had cloud cover, etc. I'll be done very soon though, and back to the ranks of the unemployed. Pretty sad to think that with 860/25, I coulda had my pick of regional jobs 6 months ago! Now, not so much. :(

what time? I was on the Pt Reyes arrival yesterday afternoon. I can tell from the shadow it was much earlier than me. We departed SFO, and were over the Bay Bridge around 1655.
Inbound it was closer to 1920.
Small world! Those were both shot around 1800.

If planes are allowed to fly that close to the golden gate bridge, what is to stop a terrorist from using a larger GA plane to take out some of those cables? One could do a lot of damage, especially if it were rush hour. Call me being pessimistic, but I'm surrpised no one has ever tried such an attack.

You're being pessimistic! Those cables would cut a plane in half before they'd snap I'm guessing...

I'd have to guess that they are a least 8" steel cables vs. aluminum airplane... Bridge wins I would think.

If planes are allowed to fly that close to the golden gate bridge, what is to stop a terrorist from using a larger GA plane to take out some of those cables? One could do a lot of damage, especially if it were rush hour. Call me being pessimistic, but I'm surrpised no one has ever tried such an attack.

Those cables would slice through an aluminum plane like butter. If terrorism is a concern, I'd be more worried about explosive laden trucks than light aircraft.

You're being pessimistic! Those cables would cut a plane in half before they'd snap I'm guessing...

I'd have to guess that they are a least 8" steel cables vs. aluminum airplane... Bridge wins I would think.

Those cables would slice through an aluminum plane like butter. If terrorism is a concern, I'd be more worried about explosive laden trucks than light aircraft.

. . .I'd be far more worried about Magneto ripping the bridge apart and using it as a path to Alcatraz for his evil mutant army!

OK I'm back in SFO at the Embassy Suites South SF . . . right across the bay from you!

I was there last yesterday for a short overnight. Good breakfast!!

Cool videos of the Golden Gate. I always loved taking people on a bay tour, mostly, so I could sight see myself :)

Back