Going to Dominican Republic

eeg

What do you guy's think of this?

I just finished my Multi-Commercial and have a tentative job offer as a F/O in D.R flying LET-410's. I've been talking with and emailing their chief pilot now for over a year and kept him updated with my training. It just goes to show how a simple phone call letting him know of my desire to fly for them does. I was thinking of getting my CFI but I'm going to put that on hold for now to see how this goes and just put that money I was going to use for the CFI in the bank for later.

Besides the flying the D.R. is a very nice place. Some of the most incredible scenery I have seen! However it is a third world country and some of those images are ingrained in memory forever! But the people are wonderful people...especially if you like baseball!

Take me with you!!! (er - as in - I mean - you know - as a CO-WORKER!!
grin.gif
).

Go for it! You'll be getting multi-turbine time which is great! Do you think you'll ever get to the left seat? Looks like fun!

SkyWChris,

Yes with time I will, the airline is growing they just bought 2 737's and plan on expanding slowly...
grin.gif

Eeg, what ever happened with the D.R. gig?
Sounded like a cool deal....

Got any info that would help anyone else on the site regarding this kind of opportunity?

Well it didn't go through
frown.gif
because the airline got smart and started paying in pesos and not in US mula. If my bills were in Dominican pesos I would be good but my bills arent. I still have a job offer though but until they offer me more "dinero" I'm not taking the offer. If you have any more questions let me know

No specific questions, just mildly curious about the gig. It's not something that I'm personally in a position to be pursuing, but others might be interested.
Don't want you to give up any inside scoop, but if you can enlighten about the job in general it might help someone else out....

[ QUOTE ]
If my bills were in Dominican pesos I would be good but my bills arent.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could pay me in pinto beans, and I'd still take the job....
grin.gif

The airline is called Air Santo Domingo. I now their chief pilot. For what I understand they are hiring pilots but you need to be Dominican or have dual citizenship like me and convert you FAA to the dominican thingy they have their. They operate Let-410, B1900, a Brasilia, a Caravan and a couple of 172's.

mtsu, man the dollar rate in DR is 50RD to 1US I cant live of that. Imagen if they would pay me in dollars the way it was before they got stingy I would have made a killing, specially living there but now if my math is correct that would equal to about $600 a month. I couldn't even buy those pinto beans you were talking about...

[ QUOTE ]
Is "crappy exchange rate" a valid reason for deferring loans?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The airline is called Air Santo Domingo. I now their chief pilot. For what I understand they are hiring pilots but you need to be Dominican or have dual citizenship like me and convert you FAA to the dominican thingy they have their. They operate Let-410, B1900, a Brasilia, a Caravan and a couple of 172's.

Hey Egg, why do you have to be Dominican to work there?
Im dominican also, and Im planing to go there this summer.
let me know if you want to hang out.

I live in FL. I plan to go in the summer, maybe. I think there's ways arond the Dominican citizen thing, something like a work permit.

eeg
I wish I had the opportunity to work there. even if they dont pay much, the equitment you be flying and the experience you get, beat any CFI job here in the US.
anyway like I said I going to visit D.R in the summer and Im going to meet a captain that is currently working down there.
Im hoping he will be able to guide me if I decide to stay there for a while.

Yeah, keep us all posted. I'm always interested in hearing how things work in other countries.

And there may be other D.R. citizens or duals that could use the information as well.

Good luck.

Back