Going military?

PA44

I know there is a section for military questions, but i just wanted to know if anyone flying civilian(like a cfi
wink.gif
) ever thought about, or actually went ahead and joined the airforce or navy... The thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion, and with the state of the civilian airlines as of now, I might just end up doing it! I am 22, with my cfi,ii,mei,a&p,fcc, and with a decent amount of hours. Funny though, i feel i am not moving along my career path(ahh, FedEx). In my mind if i join the force(and get accepted) I will be flying bigger planes sooner than in the civilian world, where you need like a million hours of pic wide body! Any thoughts greatly, greatly,greatly appreciated, its a 10 year commitment!

I did it. But I don't think with the committment, you'll get to the airlines any faster than the average civil pilot these days.

Hello PA44,

You didn't mention your level of education. Except for the Army WOFT program, I believe most military aviation officer programs require a 4-year degree. The Navy might still have the NavCad program in which you must have an AA degree or have completed 2 of 4 years at a 4 year school. The plus side is that you only have to go to school for 2 years. The down side is that you don't get commissioned until & unless you earn you wings. I don't know what happens if you fail flight school. Also, the age limit is lower (it was 24 in the 1987). When the gig is up, you either go back to school to get your degree then resume your Navy career, or knock on Delta's doors.

Good Luck,

JR

Joining the military vs staying civilian was discussed before on JC and the point alot of people made (which I absolutely agree with being ex-mil, though not a pilot) is that you really shouldnt join just to boost your resume and get to an airline or corporate job someday. Even for pilots, especially Army pilots, it is not a cake life and you will make a bunch of sacrifices. If you're not willing to do so, you wont be a good pilot or soldier.

But if you do have a sincere desire to serve then go for it if you can get it.

The phrase "The needs of the Air Force" dictate everything about your life when you're in. If the needs of the Air Force mean you fly two hours a month and are based in North Dakota counting snow berms while working 70 hour weeks, then that's what you'll do. Once in, you're just a soldier... I think you have to want to be a soldier first and foremost... and a pilot a distant second. My one cent at least (no first hand experience, this is just educated conjecture).

If you like the military and are motivated and willing to give it your all, even in the possible event you are not selected for a flight slot, then I say do it!

Back