Going into hospital far riskier than flying-WHO

braunpilot

What day is it?
Going into hospital far riskier than flying-WHO

(Reuters) - Millions of people die each year from medical errors and infections linked to health care and going into hospital is far riskier than flying, the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.

"If you were admitted to hospital tomorrow in any country... your chances of being subjected to an error in your care would be something like 1 in 10. Your chances of dying due to an error in health care would be 1 in 300," Liam Donaldson, the WHO's newly appointed envoy for patient safety, told a news briefing.

This compared with a risk of dying in an air crash of about 1 in 10 million passengers, according to Donaldson, formerly England's chief medical officer.

"It shows that health care generally worldwide still has a long way to go," he said.

Hundreds of millions of people suffer infections linked to health care each year. Patients should ask questions and be part of decision-making in hospitals, which must use basic hygiene standards and WHO's checklist to ensure safe surgical procedures were followed.

More than 50 percent of acquired infections can be prevented if health care workers clean their hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based handrub before treating patients.

Of every 100 hospitalised patients at any given time, 7 in developed and 10 in developing countries will acquire at least one health care-associated infection, according to the United Nations agency.

"The longer patients stay in an ICU (intensive care unit), the more at risk they become of acquiring an infection," it said. Medical devices such as urinary catheters and ventilators are associated with high infection rates.
'HIGH-RISK BUSINESS'

Each year in the United States, 1.7 million infections are acquired in hospital, leading to 100,000 deaths, a far higher rate than in Europe where 4.5 million infections cause 37,000 deaths, according to WHO.

"Health care is a high-risk business, inevitably, because people are sick and modern health care is delivered in a fast-moving, high-pressured environment involving a lot of complex technology and a lot of people," Donaldson said.
A heart operation can involve a team of up to 60 people, about the same number needed to run a jumbo jet, he said.

"Infection is a big problem, injuries after falls in hospitals is a big problem and then there are problems that are on a smaller scale but result in preventable deaths. Medication errors are common," he said.

Risk is even higher in developing countries, with about 15 percent of patients acquiring infections, said Dr. Benedetta Allegranzi of the WHO's "Clean Care is Safer Care" programme.

"The risk is really higher in high-risk areas of the hospitals, in particular ICUs or neonatal units in developing countries."

About 100,000 hospitals worldwide now use the WHO's surgical safety checklist, which the agency said has been shown to reduce surgery complications by 33 percent and deaths by 50 percent.

If the checklist is effectively used worldwide, an estimated 500,000 deaths could be prevented each year, it says.
"Frankly, if I was having an operation tomorrow I wouldn't go into a hospital that wasn't using the checklist because I wouldn't regard it as safe," said Donaldson. (Editing by Robert Woodward)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/21/uk-health-safety-idUSLNE76K03720110721

Having watched several friends go through medical school here in the states I will never understand the comparison between doctors and pilots. There are certainly issues in the American health care system, but from what I've seen, the issues are with nursing, not doctors.

But at the same time how many people fly a different airplane and a different route to a different airport all in the same day? Just say that everyone who was flying somewhere was treated individually in every aspect of flying how many accidents would there be a day? How many deaths? Not every hospital visit is the same, nor the conditions of that visit. Apples and oranges is what this is compared to.

PAMRpilot said:
Is this because doctors require 10+ years of training after high school, whereas pilots require 3+ months of training after high school?

Hey now, don't forget about the Regional Jet Course at ATP! :cool:

OUCH! I just recovered from an abscess and it was incredibly, incredibly painful. Where's it at?

Where the appendix was. They inserted a drain on tuesday. Things are looking up but I'm ready to sleep in my own bed soon and so sick of the tubes and needles.

This really does not surprise me - but when you say 1:10 pt are subject to an error, I am sure 1:10 flights is subject to an error too. Those aviation errors are probably minor, it could be something like leaving the gear down too long, putting flaps down too soon, missing a radio call, not putting a seatbelt sign on early enough during turbulence, etc. Your window for error on those is fairly large - it takes a pretty big little mistake to kill someone.

The main difference is the errors in medicine aren't always so forgiving - misreading an EKG they're dead, missing a subtle hint on a pt before giving meds they're dead, 80 y/o you forget to put the bed alarm on, tries to get out of bed, falls has a broken hip - dead. What makes it more difficult we are told we have to take everyone, what we are going to be paid, and then told to make it work and do so safely.

Imagine if airlines were told that on 80% of passengers you would loose money -

Having watched several friends go through medical school here in the states I will never understand the comparison between doctors and pilots. There are certainly issues in the American health care system, but from what I've seen, the issues are with nursing, not doctors.

I would love to hear you elaborate more on this -

I would love to hear you elaborate more on this -

I'm not exempting doctors from errors, misdiagnosis, or other general screwups. However, the volume of care falls on the nurses shoulders, giving them far more opportunities to make a mistake. Or maybe I'm completely off base here, I've been accused of talking out my ass before :)

As someone who has worked in healthcare for almost 10 years now I cant tell you how much I disagree with this.

Medicine largely lacks the intense culture of safety present in aviation. There have been many pushes driven primarily by nursing professional groups to implement many concepts from aviation adapted to medicine to improve patient safety. One example of this is pre-surgical checklists to ensure you have the correct patient, correct procedure, correct site, and correct staff / equipment etc. Our surgeons in many cases flat out refuse to go through the checklists. Recently we even had one get so angry when the nurse refused to start the case until the checklist was complete that he threw a tray of instruments across the room and stormed out in anger.

The primary problem as I have seen it is that many physicians have an intense sense of antiauthority and entitlement. The attitudes are very similar to the old days of aviation where pilots saw themselves as infallible bad a$$es who did everything perfect. The rules did not apply to them because they believed themselves to be professionals that don’t screw up. Aviation addressed this and now hammers it into all of our heads that while confidence is important, it also can kill. There is an important line not to cross and you need to constantly examine your decisions and question yourself.

It does not surprise me that your friend seems to have taken the attitude that nursing is the "problem". In aviation we are taught that responsibility flows up the chain of command to the PIC who is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on a flight. In medicine when something goes wrong it is largely a game of pointing fingers. For example, if a chart order is not properly followed there is rarely a discussion or self analysis on the part of the physician as to their personal responsibility. Was the order confusing? Illegible? Unsafe? Never have I seen a physician take personal responsibility in the regard. More or less I see yelling and finger pointing.

One other example and I will get off my soap box. The illegibility of physician handwriting is oddly embraced as a part of the medical culture. I have actually seen med schools that hand out a joke award to the student with the worst handwriting at graduation. There is little sense that this actually kills people (and many documented cases at that). As I transitioned into aviation I realized this was really the equivalent of pilots with terrible radio skills unable to effectively communicate. Pilots are extremely critical when they hear a pilot who cannot communicate while in medicine it is some sort of joke.

To back what I am communicating here consider that physicians are notoriously bad and dangerous pilots. It is common to hear CFI's complain about physicians unable to take criticism and having a sense that the rules do not apply to them. There are many accidents with physician pilots that have shown what these attitudes can lead to.

Certainly I am biased. I'm getting out of medicine because I am so disenchanted. While aviation has its problems we do safety right. Medicine has much to learn in the regard. The primary reason as I see it that medicine has not changed is that errors dont result in flaming holes in the ground. Also, the physician is not on board in the way that a pilot is. Aviation safety is as much about self preservation as it is protecting others. No such standard or concern exists in medicine.

I'm not exempting doctors from errors, misdiagnosis, or other general screwups. However, the volume of care falls on the nurses shoulders, giving them far more opportunities to make a mistake. Or maybe I'm completely off base here, I've been accused of talking out my ass before :)

Nurses do provide the minute-to-minute care and are often the final line of defense to for the pt - we often pick up errors from above, or with providing the minute on minute care to the pt just having the closer set of eyes on them allows us to unearth or uncover things that is important to their care as well as being the one who notices changes. Nurses are probably leading the way in safety initiatives - nurses are the front line of infection control, such as hand washing for all healthcare workers, to parameters for isolation rooms. As mentioned above nurses implemented the pre-surgical time out which is now a jcaho requirement. Nurses are the ones implementing IT into the healthcare system with such advances as electronic physician order entry. Nurses are now common place within hospital leadership - many holding positions such as COO and CEO.

Med errors are the most common nursing error - we have implemented technology to help ensure a safer system and the numbers show it has. But to give you an idea in 2 hours, I need to asses 5 patients and hand out up to 100 different medication while keeping in mind allergies, the findings of my assessment, and any other problems that may arise (whether the dose seems too high, or we are giving multiple medicines that do the same thing and act the same way) - while I try to do this often the pts want to talk - tell me how they want to go home, or if we could get them stuffed bell peppers again today - in this time I am also meant to educate the pt on their meds, answering any questions they have. Now medicaid and medicare who are the vast majority of our revenue want to cut that time in half. That would be about 1.5 pills per minute -

I don't want to say nurses or doctors make more errors - working together we can really make less. In an open communication environment, where each others skills and job function are valued, working collaboratively we can serve our pts so much better - that should be both of our goals.

Fair enough. I suppose my opinion is biased simply because I've witnessed nursing mistakes on several occasions, one of which resulted in the premature death of my father-in-law. However, it certainly isn't fair to lump everyone together so I apologize for the generalities I was making.

Back