Glider Flying

nkoenig

Anybody know anything about flying a glider? There is a Gliderport close to me and I was thinking about checking it out. How safe or dangerous is it, and most importantly how much fun is it?

Yep, I have about 250 hours in gliders, and fly in races every once in a while.

Its a ton of fun (especially once you start flying cross country and/or racing) and very very safe.

You can go to www.ssa.org to find out more.

How safe or dangerous is it, and most importantly how much fun is it?

I only have a few flights under my belt and i am working towards my certificate, but I can tell you that every time I have left the glider airport, I am smiling uncontrollably.

So yeah, it is fun.

That's how I got into flying. I started out in Gliders flying in Germany, where it's really big. It's fun and it is real flying! I was just over in Germany a few months ago and went up a few times...

dsc00424lt1.jpg

dsc00425jq5.jpg

dsc00408me6.jpg

Thats the way i started.

I never got as far as Trace, but i solo'd a few hours and it defiantly made me a much better student pilot when i transitioned to power, now i use those skills whenever i fly!

I thought I knew how to use the rudder until I started flying gliders. I love the challenge of finding rising air and using all your skill to keep the glider aloft as long as you can. On my longest flight I got a tow to 1000' and disconnected from the tow plane, then proceeded to fly for 3 more hours before my bladder finally made me land. I added a glider rating to my certificate in 4 days of training. To me, flying gliders is like therapy. I love it!!

It's gonna be interesting to learn how a glider works. I'm looking forward to learning about it.

Over 600 hours of glider time. Mostly cross country and competition flying. It's how I started too. Keep at it and you'll really develop your stick and rudder skills as well as a good knowledge of micrometeorology. No doubt it's a lot of fun (unless you're about 800' AGL, 200+ miles from where you want to be and all the other gliders you're competing against seem to be still in the air at 10,000' :sarcasm:)

How I started as well. I've seen in general less accidents with gliders, and while power pilot friends keep dying, I haven't lost any friends in glider accidents.

Depending on the airport you're going to, if its a club or a business, soaring often sports a friendly social atmosphere for good times on the ground as well.

No doubt it's a lot of fun (unless you're about 800' AGL, 200+ miles from where you want to be and all the other gliders you're competing against seem to be still in the air at 10,000' :sarcasm:)

That is a wonderful feeling... :whatever: :sarcasm:

Now a really really cool feeling, is being in a loose formation of 6 gliders 5 miles out diving for the line into the low sun! :laff:

Out of curiosity how much $$ do you spend on an average flight. At a local soaring club its $70 a tow to 3,000 (including everything) which could either be cheap or expensive depending on the thermals.

Out of curiosity how much $$ do you spend on an average flight. At a local soaring club its $70 a tow to 3,000 (including everything) which could either be cheap or expensive depending on the thermals.

That sounds about right for a commercial FBO type operation, but a club should be a little bit cheaper than that per flight. Of course, in a club there are dues to pay each month too.

Your right, a $30 and 2,000 foot tow, in my glider, and I am gone on a 6 hour flight, ends up being a pretty cheap way to build total time, and possibly a lot of cross country time if I end up landing more than 50 miles away. :rolleyes:

Your right, a $30 and 2,000 foot tow, in my glider, and I am gone on a 6 hour flight, ends up being a pretty cheap way to build total time, and possibly a lot of cross country time if I end up landing more than 50 miles away. :rolleyes:
Glider time doesn't apply for total time requirements, does it?

Glider time doesn't apply for total time requirements, does it?

Of course it can. Which is why in the experience requirements for some licenses have "airplane" time listed specifically instead of just total time.

But I can include it in total time when talking to potential employers.

Back