Glasses with a headset

Xcaliber

El Chupacabra
So I've got "new" vision insurance, a new prescription, and a 10+ year old set of frames that I never wear. I'm a contacts guy now, and so I only have glasses for one day every 2 years that my eyes get tired of wearing them. Since the frames go through so much use, I'd like to find a pair that can be worn comfortably under a headset all day and of quality and style enough so that I never have to buy another one.

Almost everything I've come across has either the thick straight plastic temple, or a really thin piece of flexible metal temple...with a big honkin' piece of plastic around the ear. Everything has been a terrible fit under a headset.

Does anybody have a favorite brand/model that fits the bill?

So I've got "new" vision insurance, a new prescription, and a 10+ year old set of frames that I never wear. I'm a contacts guy now, and so I only have glasses for one day every 2 years that my eyes get tired of wearing them. Since the frames go through so much use, I'd like to find a pair that can be worn comfortably under a headset all day and of quality and style enough so that I never have to buy another one.

Almost everything I've come across has either the thick straight plastic temple, or a really thin piece of flexible metal temple...with a big honkin' piece of plastic around the ear. Everything has been a terrible fit under a headset.

Does anybody have a favorite brand/model that fits the bill?

For you...try these...
images.jpg
:bounce:

I have a few pairs with a thinner plastic side frame that I have them heat and bend to a straight shape, bayonet frame (sits on the ear and doesn't wrap around the back). Seems to be a lot more comfortable under the telex stratus 50D. I plan on moving to a QT Halo headset next though.

I've been wearing Oakley Flak Jackets under a David Clark for years, very comfy. I have the gel earseals that help and the Oakley's have squishy-ish plastic temple. Worth the investment, even ended up getting my prescription put in 'em.

Sorry guys, I should've been more clear. I'm not looking for sunglasses. These are normal glasses, to be used as a backup to my contacts.

Sorry guys, I should've been more clear. I'm not looking for sunglasses. These are normal glasses, to be used as a backup to my contacts.

If you need them as back up, just get the cheapest you can find, if you don`t use them often then who cares, even a cheap pair will last long.

There are so many type of frames, getting oriented by someone here is pretty useless, they all fit differently depending of the shape of your head, sizing is really important. take your headset and go to your local optical store and try them and get an optician to find the right size for you.

The only advice I can give you that if you plan to keep them for long get glass lenses.

I have been using David Clark's for 20 years with glasses. Eventually your head will conform to the glasses.

Depending on what style you want, you could just buy a pair of aviators with straight bayonet temples and have the lab cut normal clear lenses to fit. My AO's have very nice metal frames that should last a long time. Aviators tend to have a dated/shop teacher look when they are loaded with non-tinted glass, but for comfort under headsets they'd do the trick.

You can get RX raybans- both polarized and nonpolarized. My wife got a pair for the boat with the "drivers lenses" (orange) that she loves. Total cost was something like $20 with insurance.

Personally, I'm a contacts guy. I have 2 pairs of regular glasses, 1 at the house and 1 in the overnight bag. My overnight bag ones (correction & non-tinted) are ray bans that have the same ear type as my "flying sun glasses" (no correction with contacts).

This type of ear piece seems to work well (for me at least) with the Telex headsets. If you are using the "headclamp" DC type headset this is prob not what you are looking for...

http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/805289061731

Back