Giving Back to Jetcareers

I believe he means Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training

Awe, gotcha. Thank you :).

I am not familiar with Mark's program, but just looked up his book, Starting Strength. I like some of the premise behind it like keeping it simple in regards to minimal exercises, only 2 workouts (A & B) which makes things easy to flip/flop, sufficient frequency, and compound movements that are more functional. However, some things I don't agree with is that a beginner strength trainer would perform movements like a deadlift, squat, and power clean especially in the 3 repetition range. Since the book seems to be designed to get accustomed to a barbell training program, it seems like he is leaning towards the beginner crowd. However, if not, than I wouldn't have as much of an issue. Beginners learning resistance training exercises don't usually have the proper flexibility or strength in a coordinated fashion for the body to perform squats, deadlifts, and cleans correctly. Compounds movements like olympic lifts are very complex and take a great deal of training time to do them with perfect technique. It's seems as if he does descrobe how to do the movements, but I haven't read the book unfortunately. I would rather have a client train with a mixture of bodyweight exercises (extremely important to master from a functional standpoint), machines, bands, and free weights, etc. and work on adding the coordination and stability in all the necessary muscle groups, as well as the flexibility to work them up to performing complex lifts found in olympic lifting. Then, you have the same person perform them with a 3-5 repetition maximum, and it's asking for injuries. The total volume isn't high, and recovery shouldn't be as much of an issue, but at the beginning of such a program one can expect a good deal of soreness, and 48 hours of rest from a rep range like that may not be nearly enough. Beginners can easily lift in repetition ranges much higher with lighter loads and achieve strength gains, which most gains within the first 10-12 weeks are primarily neural improvements of the central nervous system. Also, lighter loads allow the body and it's tendons, ligamnets, and muscles to become accustomed to the stresses of resistance training and build a great foundation in which to work from. Beginners will usually work out the same muscle groups 2 times per week, and won't have to use nearly the same total volume as an experienced lifter, yet they will achieve fantastic results since the exercise brings all sorts of new stimuli to the body.

That is amazing to hear, as it sounds like you are great athlete, and know a lot about health and fitness :). So, that puts you ahead of the game in regards to dialing in your routine. Chances are, you'll benefit more by changing the target workout like I mentioned to different rep ranges, loads, and goals for each workout.

That is also a good sign that when you are rested you can't tell the difference in how you feel when comparing your shorter and longer runs. In regards to body fat, without a doubt, being lean allows the body to function more efficiently within reason on course. You'll simply have to keep tooling with it a bit to see how low you can personally go without seeing the detriments of too low of body fat percentage where your hormone levels begin to shift in negative directions for optimal health and fitness. Everyone will be different in that area. I have tested this on myself, and I can hold 6% BF for as long as needed without any negative side effects. However, appetite begins to grow a bit, the "fun" factor with foods isn't nearly as great, it takes more psychological "tuffness" to maintain and not break from the exercise and nutrition routine. Those are trade-offs though, and you can definitely relate that when you are an athlete, it means enough to you to maintain. The best strength to weight ratio a person has, the better a person will perform.

The next question you have is more challenging because there is a lot of variables that come into play, and you'll have to play around with things a bit to get it right for you and the way your body is feeling. It's good to know you are doing short explosive running training like 200 meters intervals. The rough part about being a marathon runner, yet still want to maintain a strong body, is that the resistance training program has to be scaled down or up according to how you feel after various runs, and to find that "sweet spot" that works well with your athletic lifestyle and goals. It's definitely normal to still feel the fatigue after a couple days of lifting while doing your runs. However, now we have to find a way to have you feel a tad less fatigue, and have you increase strength and power enough to hold a faster pace when you doing your long and quality runs. The eventual goal is to keep improving your pace in which you can run long distance as a marathon runner. That is done with quality speed work like you are doing in your 200 meter training, and to find a pace in which it's very uncomfortable in regards to lactic acid and H+ accumulation in the muscles that lead to the "burn".

I definitely see what you're saying about fitting your lifting schedule into your run schedule. That is without a doubt a controversial topic considering there are so many ways to organize it. If it were me, I would actually do your strength work on your recovery run days. So, your example would be shifted like this:

Day

1 Morning- Quality Run
Afternoon- Rest

2 Morning- Strength
Afternoon- Recovery Run

3 Morning- Quality Run
Afternoon- Rest

4 Morning- Strength
Afternoon- Recovery Run

5 Morning- Quality Run
Afternoon- Rest

6 Morning- Strength
Afternoon- Recovery Run

7 Morning- Long Run
Afternoon- Rest

In this manner, the aspects of training that mean the most to you, improving strength, power, and speed in your resistance workouts, and then endurance and pace during your runs all get the most effort from the body. By separating the difficult target workouts for resistance and quality runs on different days, you allow the body to put forth the most effort it can on the workouts. As you notice, I also shifted the strength workout (make sure to get at least one meal or proper supplementation in before training) to the beginning of the day before your recovery run so you can put max effort into the resistance. Since the recovery run is easier, it can be done in the afternoon sometime after getting in another meal after your strength workout. I Just don't recommend performing the strength workout and immediately doing the recovery run (unless this run was something short like 15-20 minutes). The reason being that the longer the workout is extended the more drastic negative shift occurs in natural hormone levels, as testosterone decreases, and cortisol increases, which leads to excessive breakdown/degradation of muscle tissue, more soreness, and increased recovery rate, all which isn't beneficial in which you are trying to accomplish. If memory serves right, I believe this was roughly around 48 minutes of exercise or so. I usually make my workouts no longer than an hour, unless I am doing a long endurance run, but I have plenty of nutrition during exercise to help combat some of the negative side effects.

Since your goal is to maintain or improve cardio, and also increase strength and speed, it would be beneficial to do lower reps/higher weight in the workouts. So, you may want to do something like the below variations, but find out which works well for you depending upon how you feel in the runs:

Resistance Workout #1: (say we do it on Monday): You can perform a 5-6 rep range for strength X 3 sets with the rest time I described in the previous post as well as how to organize it around choosing 4 different muscles and working between them, then move onto another 4 and so on.

Resistance Workout #2: (say we do it on Wednesday): You can perform a 15-20 rep range for muscular endurance X 3 sets with the rest time I described in the previous post, and this lighter load may allow your joints some rest and recoup.

Resistance Workout #3: (say we do it on Friday): You can go back to your 5-6 rep range for strength like Mondays workouts.

This organization of the three allows two pure strength days separated by a lighter day.

OR

Resistance Workout #1: (say we do it on Monday): You can perform a 15-20 rep range for muscular endurance X 3 sets with the rest time I described in the previous post, and this lighter load may allow your joints some rest and recoup.

Resistance Workout #2: (say we do it on Wednesday): You can perform a 5-6 rep range for strength X 3 sets with the rest time I described in the previous post as well as how to organize it around choosing 4 different muscles and working between them, then move onto another 4 and so on.

Resistance Workout #3: (say we do it on Friday): You can try a new lower rep range with higher weight consisting of 3 reps range for strength and power X 3 sets, and the sets can be more explosive but smooth and controlled like power-lifting motions, but if you feel uncomfortable than do the sets at a normal pace as any other day. To emphasize power training, the speed of movement must increase. You'll be performing more work over a given period of time to produce power. Just be reallyyyy sure to warm-up incredibly well and do the movement flawlessly, as this rep range will have an increased chances of injury, especially when not done correctly.

This organization emphasize more strength and power as the week goes on.

Now with any of the choices above, there are even more combos that I'm sure you can make, and that's a good thing. You'll adjust it to what your goals need to be. What you still want to maintain is the principles behind it, which are progressive overload within the same week and from workout to workout, as well as strength every 48 hours. If you feel the volume is too high, simply adjust the amount of sets you are performing (doing less not more sets), but this may only be needed for your legs. If you need to only do legs 2 times per week with strength, then do so with a good split of time in between like on Mondays session and Friday's session. Or, keep doing legs 3 times per week, and try performing only 2 sets instead of 3 so the total volume of work is decreased.

In regards to the fiber question after workouts, it isn't recommended because it may lower the Glycemic Load of the meal, and in-turn slow digestion, and not spark insulin nearly as high. If this occurs, the body won't take nearly as large of a shift in recovery from a catabolic to an anabolic mode. You want the meal to digest as quickly as possible so increase insulin and glucose levels and get the nutrients into the blood stream and muscles and fast as possible. Fiber in general after a workout slows digestion rate (even though some speeds things up, but it's still not recommended after the workout), as does fat (which you probably won't have more than an average of 2g after a workout or so).

Also, here is a great article by a very well known physiologist, and it's a great read.
http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/lactatethreshold.html

Good article. It pretty much covers what I've read. If I can't shake the lags before I hit the interval focus phase, I'm gonna try that schedule and see if I can get better quality rest. I haven't had too much of a problem during taper phases, but I still feel like I can perform better earlier if I get better rest, which is pretty much what is happening during tapering. I'm focused mainly on 5ks and 10ks right now but the reason I stopped leaning at the slightly higher body fat was my inexperience with dealing with the issues that come with training and low body fat. Now that I've been maintaining it for a year, I feel more comfortable with adjustments. I'm still getting faster in the 5k, so I'm gonna stick with it for now. If I'm still having fun when I stop improving the 5k, I might very well move up to the marathon and do some 10ks along the way. Thanks for looking at my schedule!

Good article. It pretty much covers what I've read. If I can't shake the lags before I hit the interval focus phase, I'm gonna try that schedule and see if I can get better quality rest. I haven't had too much of a problem during taper phases, but I still feel like I can perform better earlier if I get better rest, which is pretty much what is happening during tapering. I'm focused mainly on 5ks and 10ks right now but the reason I stopped leaning at the slightly higher body fat was my inexperience with dealing with the issues that come with training and low body fat. Now that I've been maintaining it for a year, I feel more comfortable with adjustments. I'm still getting faster in the 5k, so I'm gonna stick with it for now. If I'm still having fun when I stop improving the 5k, I might very well move up to the marathon and do some 10ks along the way. Thanks for looking at my schedule!

Absolutely! Have fun! You sound like you are welllllll on your way, I'll tell you that ;). I love speaking with people that love health topics. It's such a broad topic and can cover all sorts of material that people want to discuss regardless of their experience with health and fitness.

I figured every now and then, we'll add some fun facts and/or myth-busters to this thread.

Despite lots of claims given by supplement product companies and exercise routine and fad diet trend companies, there isn't a pronounced effect on metabolism throughout the day after exercise is completed. Many of the claims on products contain statements like, "Burn calories while sitting on the couch!" or "Pack on the muscle and burn more calories!", etc. Technically, the are right. However, it's not NEARLY to the extent they make it seem. People see the claim and take it to heart thinking they will achieve super star calorie burning machine status, ha-ha. I really wish it worked in that pronounce of a way. Research has shown that with most cardiovascular work performed by individuals, metabolic rate may be increased after exercise to "burn" an additional 10-30 calories one exercise has stopped, but returns to normal within roughly an hour of exercise (although more intense cardiovascular training for longer periods of time, 60 minutes, may have longer more pronounced effects, although still relatively small in the grand scheme of things). As for resistance training, adding an additional pound of muscle mass equates roughly to 5-10 calories per day. A very significant amount of muscle mass would have to be gained to make a significant difference. To put this into perspective, a true 10 pound muscle mass gain would in theory "burn" 100 calories extra per day on the high side. With 100 calories extra per day x 7 days per week for 52 weeks (equals 36400, divided by 3500 calories in each pound of fat equals 10.4), we would almost have burned enough calories to lose 10.4 pounds of fat loss. The time and effort it would take to gain 10 pounds of muscle mass naturally is significant, and would take longer than just eating 100 calories less per day to lose the same 10.4 pounds (which would in theory take exactly one year). Through better exercise and nutritional structure, a person can certainly deduct more than 100 calories through a mixture of exercise and diet, and accelerate the process. For example, 500 calories worth of a deduction instead of 100 would equate to roughly 1 pound of loss each week, and therefore, 52 pounds of loss per year in theory.

What this all really means is at the end of the day the total calories we intake and expend is what matters, as well as the exercise and intensity we perform it at matters greatly, and not the additional calorie expenditure immediately following training.

Another myth that seems like it's starting to fad into existence thankfully (ha-ha)......

Spot Reduction

This is the idea that an individual can train a particular muscle group, and achieve fat loss in that area via training. For example, many people train their Abdominal muscles to lose fat around their midsection, thus making them think their abdominal muscles will be more visible. Unfortunately, spot reduction does not work, nor does any product that claim they can achieve spot reduction via creams, patches, machines, etc. The only way to achieve visible muscle definition is to lower total body fat levels to a point where the muscles simply are more visible and not hidden by subcutaneous fat. A small reduction in calorie intake by limiting portion size and eating less calorie dense, as well as consistent exercise are the two well known contributors to lowering body fat levels and allowing you to see more visible muscle definition, yet these two factors many push away like the devil :D. Ask yourself, how many people have you met that say "I really need to start doing some crunches to get rid of this belly fat."? I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that because my flight training would be paid for. LOL

I have a "Scotty dog" fracture of my L6? It doesn't bother me now. What are my treatment options?

I have a "Scotty dog" fracture of my L6? It doesn't bother me now. What are my treatment options?

Has the fracture healed, was it a complete fracture separation (or just hairline fractured), and how long ago was it? Since you said it doesn't bother you, that's a great sign, and hopefully that means you don't feel any pain currently.

The L6 can usually have the same potential spinal conditions that the L5 does like herniated disc and spondylolisthesis, etc. Good options after someone experiences something like the fracture you had is to seize activities that make you lift or bend, so you don't agitate the problem further until it heals. If your body responded well to rest and less compressive activities, then you at least avoid any of the more invasive treatments, thankfully. If you are healed, and it doesn't bother you now, be sure to perform enough core stabilizing exercises like lying supine leg raises, and planks, as both maintain a neutral spine (which I believe to be a much more effective and safer way to train the core muscles). Don't do crunches, as this flexes the spine, and in this case, may make matters worse on the vertebrae. On your lying leg raises, be sure to push your low back into the ground (imagine your belly button pushing down through the spine) to allow no increase in lower back curvature (Lordotic Curve), and keep your knees bend, but raise you feet off the ground. While keeping your low back flat into the ground, slowly bring your knees/legs further away and hold it there from the body until it begins to challenge the core enough to not allow the low back to lift or curve, yet enough resistance to last between 30-60 seconds of exercise during the set. Perform around 3-4 sets with 30-60 seconds of rest in between sets, or more if needed. If your knees are still bent during the set and it's still not enough resistance, simply start extending the legs far enough and hold a position that challenges you for the given time frame. With the plank holds, there are dozens of variations to make it easier or more difficult, but regardless of which you chose, be sure to maintain a neutral spine (natural Lordotic Curve similar to as if you were standing) and tighten the abdominal muscles and the gluteal muscles to keep the curve from being exaggerated during exercise. Since you have experienced this injury, it may make you more susceptible to injury down the road. However, with strength training of the abdominal muscles, you may be able to prevent or limit your chances of re-injury. many of the low back issues that occur are from excessive pressure repeatedly occurring on the low back from strenuous movements/activities. Then, the low back and abdominals become out of balance, and have a strength asymmetry that no longer balances the forces one experiences over the other during movement. With antagonistic muscles, proper strength balance is importance since one is constantly communicating with the other to perform the exact opposite muscle action to counteract it's antagonist. Also, stretching is absolutely key to prevent the postural imbalance that can occur when strength asymmetries occur between antagonistic muscle groups. Perform your flexibility training when the muscles are most warm, preferably after a work-out or sitting in a Jacuzzi, and be sure to focus on the muscles surrounding the hips. Perform hamstring stretches, gluteal stretches, as well as opposing sides like the hip flexors as well. Also, if you have time, focus on inner hip (hip adductor) and outer hip (hip abductor, Ex. TFL muscle & IT Band) stretches as well which can add greatly in knee balance and pain prevention especially with high impact activities. Hold all stretches for 1 minute at a position that is uncomfortable, yet not painful, and be very smoothly and not jerky with the movements. Let the stretch go after 1 minute and move the muscle through it's range of motion naturally just to give it a little break, then perform 2 additional stretches for the same time frame with the break in between.

Currently it is still "broke". Only found it because I was in for a kidney CT. I compete in Olympic weightlifting and it doesn't bother me but the doc(s) seem to think that in a few years I will need it fused together, thus ending my weightlifting career (I have masters level world records to break here).

Currently it is still "broke". Only found it because I was in for a kidney CT. I compete in Olympic weightlifting and it doesn't bother me but the doc(s) seem to think that in a few years I will need it fused together, thus ending my weightlifting career (I have masters level world records to break here).

That is amazing! Congratulations on going for some big achievements in Olympic lifting. I love that sport, and it's a lot of fun.

I know how you must feel though, as it's difficult to make the decision to end the Olympic weight lifting career to reducer the chance of chronic problems down the road, or keep lifting until you achieve what you want in the sport. It's a rough decision and you only know what the right thing to do is. I'm sure you'll make an educated decision and weight all the positives and negatives with both options. Good luck either way and let us know how you do in your competitions.

P.S. sorry for the late reply :)

Holy thread jackpot! Thanks Soup! Where did you go to school? I am going back (better late than never) and am looking for a similar career path.

Holy thread jackpot! Thanks Soup! Where did you go to school? I am going back (better late than never) and am looking for a similar career path.

Ha-ha, thanks!! It's my pleasure.

I will send you a PM with more info. Congratulations on going back to school. Health and fitness related careers are broad and allow a lot of explansion in regards to your career path. You can pave your own way, or find a traditional health position for corporate wellness, etc. There are so many options and it really depends what you prefer most. I really enjoyed my experience while in school. It was very taxing at times, as any degree program can be, but well worth the time and effort depending on how you look at it. I got a chance to learn a lot of in-depth information that can be used either just for self-benefit or the benefit of all, and that's what appealed to me most. I wanted to be able to help others achieve their health goals, whatever that may be. I have worked with athletes, general population, the physically disabled, etc. Each and every experience with all populations brings something new to the table, and will help shape you into a very well rounded health professional. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. Health and fitness was really the only other subject I wanted to study other than aviation, and I needed a back up plan in case my medical cannot be issued for whatever reason in the future. Some jobs pay more than others in this field, but since it's so broad, it really depends. Kinesiology is not exactly known for well-payed positions, but it can be if you find a niche market and work hard, and be willing to expand your knowledge and experience horizons.

Good luck!!

GREAT info on this post!!! especially since I'm really quite new to the circuit training cliche.

I'm doing 6 months, 3x week, circuit training to lose some serious weight (at least 50lbs)...with that, I'm also doing a carb cycling lifestyle change with the diet and all. What I'm finding is that during circuit training, my hands are not used to holding my weight and the weight training gloves I'm wearing don't seem have enough padding or something.

at 45ish, Would it be better to work on the strength of my hands or get a new set of gloves?

If new gloves, is there any particular type that has added padding (over regular weight training gloves) that I should look for, that will do the trick? I saw some boxing spar gloves that had some nice padding on the outside (obviously wrong location for the gloves I need) and wondering if there's gloves out there with that, that might be recommended.

Also, if I do strength training in my hands, any recommended exercises? My wrists often have "overuse" issues since I'm on the computer typing away all the time and my grip is starting to suck but with pushups, burpees, mountain climbers...it's the outer skeleton and inner palms along with the fingers that are smarting.

I figure they'll be smarting for a while till I lose some but still, it would be nice to not damage them further...HAHA

Thanks! :)

GREAT info on this post!!! especially since I'm really quite new to the circuit training cliche.

I'm doing 6 months, 3x week, circuit training to lose some serious weight (at least 50lbs)...with that, I'm also doing a carb cycling lifestyle change with the diet and all. What I'm finding is that during circuit training, my hands are not used to holding my weight and the weight training gloves I'm wearing don't seem have enough padding or something.

at 45ish, Would it be better to work on the strength of my hands or get a new set of gloves?

If new gloves, is there any particular type that has added padding (over regular weight training gloves) that I should look for, that will do the trick? I saw some boxing spar gloves that had some nice padding on the outside (obviously wrong location for the gloves I need) and wondering if there's gloves out there with that, that might be recommended.

Also, if I do strength training in my hands, any recommended exercises? My wrists often have "overuse" issues since I'm on the computer typing away all the time and my grip is starting to suck but with pushups, burpees, mountain climbers...it's the outer skeleton and inner palms along with the fingers that are smarting.

I figure they'll be smarting for a while till I lose some but still, it would be nice to not damage them further...HAHA

Hi Kristie!

I just saw and read your post. Sorry I didn't see the post earlier, as work has been getting in the way of a lot of my fun time. When I get home from work today, I'll be sure to respond to all your questions.

Thanks!

Hi Kristie,

I'm sorry I couldn't respond until now!

First of all, thank you for the kind words. I hope this thread has helped people so far. If you or anyone ever has questions, feel free to ask here or Message me. Second, congratulations on the weight loss venture! It sounds like you are doing fantastic, have done your homework, and are on a dedicated plan. Dedication and consistency is all key in regards to health, fitness, and weight-loss ventures.

When you say your hands are not used to holding the weight during resistance training, do you mean your hands, wrists, and forearms feel fatigue during certain exercises, or does the training just feel uncomfortable on the skin and underlying tissues of the hand?

When you begin many types of resistance training programs, it is common for many individuals to have difficulty with grip strength, and it's also uncomfortable to hold the weight in the hands because some bars, handles, etc. have an abrasive-like property to them for added grip. Over time, added grip strength will come just from consistent resistance training using the equipment. To expedite the grip strength process, continue to use machines or equipment that challenges the grip strength. For example, to exercises the Lats. (aka Latissimus Dorsi), instead of performing a Lat. Pull-down, it may be better to perform a pull-up on an Assisted Pull-up machine (allows you to perform a pull-up with a percentage of a persons body-weight), or a Dumbbell Single Arm Bench Row. Both of those exercises (and many more) require you to hold a tighter grip and stresses the muscle of the hands and forearms greater than a seated Lat. Pull-down would. The same principle applies with other arm muscle exercises like biceps, etc. For example, a seated Preacher Bicep Curl machine doesn't stress the grip strength as much as a standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl would. These little changes in exercise choice really expedite the process in regards to gaining grip strength. If you need addition grip-strength training, there are a multitude of exercises that can be performed, but due to your overuse of the forearm muscles from computer work, I would not recommend doing these just yet as they may agitate and worsen overuse (see how the above suggestions go first), especially in people who have diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). I'll still describe some examples of these extra grip-strength exercises though such a barbell, dumbbell, or body-bar seated wrist curl (while seated at bench-level, the wrists and hands are supinated or palms up, bar in the hands, backside of wrists are placed comfortably in the crevice of the knee/quads, let the wrists fall downward with the bar in hand and opening the fingers just slightly firmly gripping the bar, then curl the wrists back up past the neutral point, and repeat). Another grip strength contraption that is often used is spring loaded grip-strength devices like these: http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Net-Grip..._sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F84XT6VWTK0HMZSX70W. These are often used as well which use a rope and weight to perform wrist extension and flexion, thus reeling the rope up: http://www.amazon.com/Forearm-Exerc...=1403456521&sr=1-38&keywords=forearm+strength.

Also, keep in mind that you will notice on your weight-loss venture is how much your grip strength will improve as total body-weight decreases. With resistance training, you will be improving muscle strength and muscle endurance, bone density, etc., but with your diet and calorie reduction you will be decreasing body-weight, and therefore drastically improving movement efficiency. The body moves extremely well and more efficient when strength to weight ratio is favorable. You will feel much stronger for each pound of body-weight you have. This not only improves movement efficiency, but also decreases the chances of muscle, tendon, and ligament injury during exercise or regular activities of daily living. That's a win-win from all accounts. This is why you tend to see many athletes "lean-out" and drop to more advantageous body-fat levels for their sport.

In regards to gloves, that's difficult only because it is so subjective in terms of comfort, durability, etc. There are dedicated work-out gloves that I would say are most popular simply because they are marketed for use during resistance training like these http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Womens-...864&sr=1-16&keywords=workout+gloves+for+women. There are also some different types of hand pads offered for resistance training that aren't gloves per se, but there to protect the hand area where the bar, handles, and weights usually lay and provide better breath-ability and less discomfort like all these shown below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072KP894?psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V5CCY4?psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Glove..._sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=11GS4W61465MMBTPRRYG
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6XZ7JA?psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/Nike-9-092-10..._sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W9HFQKX5BAPXZ4C6272
http://www.amazon.com/GRIPAD-WEIGHT..._sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W9HFQKX5BAPXZ4C6272

Some of the above work better than others, or are made of material that doesn't tear as easily. Anything neoprene usually doesn't last the longest with repeated use on an abrasive surface like weights usually have. Some others like the rubber and leather usually last a bit longer. Some people also try MMA gloves like you mentioned, but they usually tear in no time because they aren't made for tensile strength, as they are designed for impact and compressive forces. Another cheap alternative that doesn't have much padding (even though that can be added underneath with any lightly padded material you'd like), yet it still reduces discomfort a bit is wearing some cheap mechanics gloves during resistance training (some people cut the fingers out while others just wear them as is).

One major modification I would recommend to reduce your wrist discomfort and prevent further issues down the road with over-use is to begin performing your calisthenics like burpees, mountain climbers, push-ups, etc. is to perform them with a neutral wrist. Now, this is easily done without doing them on your knuckles :). Get a pair of 10 pound rubber coated hexagon or octogon end-shaped dumbbells like the one's pictured here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043WW85Q?psc=1 or basically any dumbbells that have a flat sides. When you put your hands around these dumbbells while on the floor doing a push-up, burpee, etc. your wrist will be in a neutral position and not mimicking the wrist position while at work. This neutral wrist allows much more comfort and safety for the wrist. The reason I said "10-pound" dumbbell is because the ends of the dumbbell are usually large enough to allow your fingers and knuckles to have sufficient clearance while the dumbbells are on the ground, and the flat ends of the dumbbells also allow the dumbbells to keep from rolling while you are gripping onto them while performing your exercises.

While at work or on the computer, the best things to do is always keep ergonomics and proper body position and comfort in mind. In order to reduce the overuse of the wrists, they must be positioned in a more advantageous way (neutral is best) to not overstress the wrist and the medial nerve in the wrist (leading to pain, discomfort, tingling, numbness, etc and eventual CTS). The entire body position is extremely important as are the equipment (ergonomic keyboard, wrist supports, etc.) to allow proper body positioning. Stretching will be just as important as improving grip-strength, as well as modifying your work environment. When I have a client with any overuse syndrome (which is more often than not), I always tell them two things, and they include: 1.) Proper stretching must be performed for the already over-tight musculature, as well as strength training for the weak overly pliable muscles. Bringing proper strength balance between antagonistic or opposing muscles will provide proper body position and biomechanics, as well as reduce the risk of injury. 2.) The activity that may be causing the overuse must be ceased (not always possible if it's your job obviously :)) or adjusted to work in a more beneficial and safer way to reduce further complications.Both of these must occur, and not just one. For example, if we had a person who worked on a computer 8 hours each day who has overuse complications and does not have proper biomechanics and ergonomics in mind, but comes to stretch and strengthen at the gym for 15 min 3 days per week, it won't make a large impact until he or she begins to implement changes in the work setting where he or she is spending most of their time causing that overuse injury in the first place.

Here are some great captions provided by the University of Maryland that describes various aspects of CTS and prevention and management of CTS:

Preventing CTS in Keyboard Workers
Altering the way a person performs repetitive activities and replacing old tools with ergonomically designed new ones may help prevent inflammation in the hand and wrist. Most of the interventions described below have been found to reduce repetitive motion problems in the muscles and tendons of the hand and arm. They may reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome, although there is no definite proof of this effect.

Rest Periods and Avoiding Repetition. Anyone who does repetitive tasks should begin with a short warm-up period, take frequent breaks, and avoid overexertion of the hand and finger muscles whenever possible. Employers should be urged to vary their employees' tasks and work.

Taking multiple "microbreaks" (about 3 minutes each) reduces strain and discomfort without decreasing productivity. Such breaks may include the following:

• Shaking or stretching the limbs
  • Leaning back in the chair
  • Squeezing the shoulder blades together
  • Taking deep breaths
Good Posture. Good posture is extremely important in preventing carpal tunnel syndrome, particularly for typists and computer users.

• The worker should sit with the spine against the back of the chair with the shoulders relaxed.
  • The elbows should rest along the sides of the body, with wrists straight.
  • The feet should be firmly on the floor or on a footrest.
  • Typing materials should be at eye level so that the neck does not bend over the work.
  • Keeping the neck flexible and the head upright maintains circulation and nerve function to the arms and hands. One method for finding the correct head position is the "pigeon" movement. Keeping the chin level, glide the head slowly and gently forward and backward in small movements, avoiding neck discomfort.
Good Office Furniture. Poorly designed office furniture is a major contributor to bad posture. Chairs should be adjustable for height, with a supportive backrest. Custom-designed chairs, made for people who do not fit in standard chairs, can be expensive. However, these costs can save companies on the medical expenses that follow injuries related to bad posture.

Voice Recognition Software. For CTS patients who must use a computer frequently, a variety of voice recognition software packages (ViaVoice, Voice Xpress, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, MacSpeech) are available that allow virtually hands-free computer use.

Keyboard and Mouse Tips. Anyone who uses a keyboard and mouse has options that may help protect the hands.

• Adjust the tension of the keys so they can be depressed without excessive force.
  • Keep the hands and wrists in a relaxed position to avoid excessive force on the keyboard.
  • Replace the mouse with a trackball device and the standard keyboard with a jointed-type keyboard.
  • Use wrist rests, which fit under most keyboards, to help keep the wrists and fingers in a comfortable position.
  • Keep the computer mouse as close to the keyboard and the user's body as possible, to reduce shoulder muscle movement.
  • Hold the mouse lightly, with the wrist and forearm relaxed. New mouse supports are also available that relieve stress on the hand and support the wrist.
  • Cut mouse pads in half to reduce movement.
Innovative keyboard designs may reduce hand stress:

• Ergonomic keyboards allow the user to adjust and modify hand positions and key tension. Most have a split or "slanted" keyboard that places the wrists at an angle. Studies suggest these keyboards help keep the wrist in a more neutral position.
  • The continuous passive motion (CPM) keyboard lifts and declines gently and automatically every 3 minutes to break tension on the hands and wrist.
  • A keyless keyboard (orbiTouch) is an innovative device that uses two domes. The typist covers the domes with his or her hands and slides them into different positions that represent letters.
Hand and Wrist Exercises for the Prevention of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Hand and wrist exercises may help reduce the risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Isometric and stretching exercises can strengthen the muscles in the wrists and hands, as well as in the neck and shoulders, improving blood flow to these areas. Performing the simple exercises described below for 4 - 5 minutes every hour may be helpful.

Exercises for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Wrists
:

Exercise 1

• Make a loose right fist, palm up, and use your left hand to press gently down against the clenched hand.
  • Resist the force with the closed right hand for 5 seconds. Be sure to keep your wrist straight.
  • Turn your right fist palm down, and press the knuckles against the left open palm for 5 seconds.
  • Finally, turn your right palm so the thumb-side of the fist is up, and press down again for 5 seconds.
  • Repeat with your left hand.
Exercise 2

• Hold one hand straight up shoulder-high with your fingers together and palm facing outward. (The position looks like a shoulder-high salute.)
  • With the other hand, bend the hand you are exercising backward with the fingers still held together and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Spread your fingers and thumb open while your hand is still bent back and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Repeat five times with each hand.
Exercise 3 (Wrist Circle)

• Hold your second and third fingers up, and close the others.
  • Draw five clockwise circles in the air with the two fingertips.
  • Draw five more counterclockwise circles.
  • Repeat with your other hand.
Fingers and Hand:

Exercise 1

• Clench the fingers of one hand into a tight fist.
  • Release, fanning out your fingers.
  • Do this five times. Repeat with the other hand.
Exercise 2

• To exercise your thumb, bend it against the palm beneath the little finger, and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Spread the fingers apart, palm up, and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Repeat five to 10 times with each hand.
Exercise 3

• Gently pull your thumb out and back and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Repeat five to 10 times with each hand.
Forearms (stretching these muscles will reduce tension in the wrist):

Exercise 1
  • Place your hands together in front of your chest, fingers pointed upward in a prayer-like position.
  • Keeping your palms flat together, raise your elbows to stretch your forearm muscles.
  • Stretch for 10 seconds.
  • Gently shake your hands limp for a few seconds to loosen them.
  • Repeat frequently when your hands or arms tire from activity.
Neck and Shoulders:

Exercise 1

• Sit upright and place your right hand on top of your left shoulder.
  • Hold that shoulder down, and slowly tip your head down toward the right.
  • Keep your face pointed forward, or even turned slightly toward the right.
  • Hold this stretch gently for 5 seconds.
  • Repeat on the other side.
Exercise 2

• Stand in a relaxed position with your arms at your sides.
  • Shrug your shoulders up, then squeeze your shoulders back, then stretch your shoulders down, and then press them forward.
  • The entire exercise should take about 7 seconds.

Source: Carpal tunnel syndrome | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/carpal-tunnel-syndrome#ixzz35OMhTP6i
University of Maryland Medical Center http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=cAFxnsppar35PradbiUt4I&u=MedCenter

WOW! that was an amazing read!!! Thank you so much for putting so much effort into posting all that fantastic info. I'll get working on it asap!

Well, my left forearm has been feeling a lot of fatigue lately and my grip is suffering because of it. I need to get it checked out by the doc to see if maybe there's a pinched nerve or something limiting my strength there....but it's really just the pads in the palms and the bones of the hand that I've been having trouble with.

For instance, when I'm doing pushups or elbow plank to one handed plank to pushup, i can feel the stress and weight added to my hands and it's painful...which is where I think the gloves come into play.

I'm so happy to hear my grip will increase as I continue to dominate my workout. It has been sucking pretty good as of late. I just hope over time, i won't feel the stress and strain of my hands to the floor due to my weight as much.

I don't have carpel tunnel but years ago, I had symptoms of which the doc just said my hands were in "overuse" mode and illustrating CTS symptoms. so that may be playing into this. For over 10 years, I've been trying to be very proactive about not getting those symptoms back (I still have my wrist braces if/when needed and use them)...but no one has ever offered exercises to aid in that.

I really REALLY appreciate that and I'll certainly be trying your recommended exercises to see if it takes away some of these issues. I'll also check out the gloves you illustrated and hopefully that along with using a mat will help in reducing the hand pain as i do my arm/floor workouts. :)

Thanks so much!!! If you make it out to NJC, I owe you a juice bar adult beverage. HAHA

Anytime! It's my pleasure to help in any way I can. Let me know how it goes.

Ha-ha, a juice bar adult beverage :D! That cracked me up, and was awesome. Thanks a ton for offer. If I can ever make it out to NJC, I'd love to meet everyone. This forum has made a large impact on my life, and it's given me a lot of perspective and insight on many aspects of aviation. For years, I've always wanted to switch careers to aviation. I am trying to plan the transition the best I can, but will take several years to make everything fall into place finance-wise to train. Flying is all I have ever wanted to do since I could say the word "airplane" :).

For any of you who have read this thread or are now reading it, I have another idea that I want to gauge interest in.

I was thinking of starting a new thread in the Health and Fitness section regarding nutrition, specifically for logging progress and helping each other out on our diet endeavors. Many people struggle with diet changes, and they don't achieve the goals they strive for. So, this new thread would be a "pinky promise" ;) to start and continue a diet structure that allows you to achieve a specific goal you have it mind. This may be to gain weight (to achieve greater muscular gains), maintain weight and just begin a diet that provides more nutritional foods, or to lose weight (the goal would be to lose body-fat while limiting the amount of lean body mass lost during the process). A diet can be simply thought as your structured nutritional plan to help you achieve sepcific health and fitness goals regardless of what the goal is. Many people refer to a diet as something associated with weight loss only, and it usually brings a negative connotation with it. Let's help change that :D.

My particular goal is to lose 10-12 pounds of body-fat (B/F). I will also chart my progress and some of the things I'm doing to achieve it such as workouts, maybe some example meals, calorie intake, how to calculate estimated calories needs for your gender, weight, age, and activity factor, etc. Since I'm not happy with carrying around 10-12 extra pounds of body-fat around, I am starting to change my diet right now, and this may throw me a little off the timeline explained below but that won't have much impact on the new thread, if any impact at all except you may not see my full progress written obviously.

There you have it, a thread dedicated to all of us beginning a new diet/health and fitness challenge to achieve specific goals. I was thinking of starting this new thread after the Jetcareers Networking get together in late October. The only reason for that is so people don't feel a bit held back from food and drink choices while they are there. If you have a goal to achieve healthier eating or to lose weight, chances are very good that you will have to limit food and beverage choices ;). Now, we can also start this new thread right now, and say the heck with it, it's goal time regardless of the time of year, events coming up, holidays, etc because there will always be those types of situations in life anyhow. There is no perfect time to begin, so my personal feeling is to start right away. However, I also want to ensure people feel ready for the new challenge and will dedicate the necessary time and possible sacrifices that may come with it regardless of the time of year.

What are all of your thoughts? Would you like a new thread like that? Do you want to start now or at another date, and of so, when?

Thanks!

Back