GI issues

super80

Hello,

This is a bit embarrassing but I need to know. :(
I am 39 years old and about 2 months ago I experienced some rectal bleeding which lasted for 2 days then stopped (No hospitalization). After visiting a GastroEnterologist, he suspected it was coming from my upper tract, since it was maroon in color. As I mentioned, the bleed wasn't visible after 2 days. Anyhow, the following week he performed upper and lower endoscopies, as well as Small Bowel series and capsule endoscopy. They were negative as far as the bleed was concerned, they did not show anything really. He also had blood drawn which came back normal.(no anemia, etc..)

For follow-up, my doctor then had me do a stool test at both the 1 month and 2 month mark following the intial bleeding episode. The first was positive for occult blood, the latest was negative. He believes that I had some sort of tiny vessel bleed, although it remains undiagnosed. the good thing is that it seemed to have resolved itself. Question, is there anything special I need to do with this as far as my FAA medical? Does this even need to be mentioned at my next medical, and should I bring records from my doc?

Also, during the upper endoscopy they incidentally found Barrett's Esophagus with no dysplasia as well as Hiatial hernia. I've apparently had silent reflux for quite some time. I am currently taking PPi, and need to go for a follow-up endoscopy (as do all patients with B.E.) in about 1 year. He also said this would not be the cause of my initial overt GI bleed, it is a seperate condition.
Do I wait for my next FAA medical to report the Barrets/GERD, and do I need records from my doc?

Thanks!

Report it on your next medical and take the records form the GI guy to the AME. The bleeding was probably from the Barrett's.

I've never had bleedling, but I have a hiatial hernia and Barrett's Esophagus. Thankfully it all got diagnosed when I was 16 so I've been under good control since then, but it's not fun.

Back