Getting the point across..... ???????

Heavy Haulin

I just passed my CMEL a couple weeks ago, and plan on getting the CSEL add on done in a couple weeks so I can focus on the CFI-A during my slow time over the winter.

I genuinely feel I am a safe, competent pilot, and everyone that I fly with, have flown with says the same thing. I have invested heavily in a nice library of books, and study diligently. I feel for where I'm at in my training I have a good grasp on things, but there is one thing that is becoming apparent to me........

When asked to EXPLAIN things or a concept that I know, and even stuff that my instructors or DPE KNOW I know, I end up spitting out this long round about explanation. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have a hard time spitting it out. I know the material in my head and heart, just have a time of it explaining it efficiently, and I am looking to streamline my expainations. My ME instructors both kept saying to keep my answers short, sweet and to the point. We all got a good laugh out of it when I made the analogy to this SNL sketch-

I was a contestant, and my instructors were the game show host.... We still get a good laugh out of this. :)

I really want to nail this CSEL oral, as well as the CFI-A oral, and looking into the crystal ball, I really want to be able to explain things well for my future students. So what better time than now to address the issue?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
I just passed my CMEL a couple weeks ago, and plan on getting the CSEL add on done in a couple weeks so I can focus on the CFI-A during my slow time over the winter.

I genuinely feel I am a safe, competent pilot, and everyone that I fly with, have flown with says the same thing. I have invested heavily in a nice library of books, and study diligently. I feel for where I'm at in my training I have a good grasp on things, but there is one thing that is becoming apparent to me........

When asked to EXPLAIN things or a concept that I know, and even stuff that my instructors or DPE KNOW I know, I end up spitting out this long round about explanation. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have a hard time spitting it out. I know the material in my head and heart, just have a time of it explaining it efficiently, and I am looking to streamline my expainations. My ME instructors both kept saying to keep my answers short, sweet and to the point. We all got a good laugh out of it when I made the analogy to this SNL sketch-

I was a contestant, and my instructors were the game show host.... We still get a good laugh out of this. :)

I really want to nail this CSEL oral, as well as the CFI-A oral, and looking into the crystal ball, I really want to be able to explain things well for my future students. So what better time than now to address the issue?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Try rehearsing some of your answers in front of a tape recorder. Then replay it and try to modify your answers to what ever questions you were rehearsing.

Try rehearsing some of your answers in front of a tape recorder. Then replay it and try to modify your answers to what ever questions you were rehearsing.

I would second that. Teach a lesson in front of a mirror or on film. That way you can get a grasp of volume, word emphasis, and one of the most important, body language.

Find another student pilot and start discussing aviation related subjects. Talk to instructors. Talk while you fly as if were explaining how you are doing the maneuver.
Keep your answers short and to the point, don't talk about unnecessary subjects. Think before you speak.

-CPL, SEL, MEL, CFI-CFII.

Find another student pilot and start discussing aviation related subjects. Talk to instructors. Talk while you fly as if were explaining how you are doing the maneuver.
Keep your answers short and to the point, don't talk about unnecessary subjects. Think before you speak.

-CPL, SEL, MEL, CFI-CFII.

Even better find a friend that is clueless on aviation and teach some of the maneuvers, regs and aerodynamics.

Crap I'm starting to sound like a teacher :(.

Even better find a friend that is clueless on aviation and teach some of the maneuvers, regs and aerodynamics.

Crap I'm starting to sound like a teacher :(.

Some people don't understand us pilots. It is hard to find someone clueless about flying and would be interested in the subject unless they have the passion for flying. I have friends non-pilots, and when I talk about aviation they don't seem interested and they get bored quick. Try to find an aviation passionate friend it would make it easier to talk aviation subjects, regs, etc..

Just keep it simple. More then likely you are trying to spit back FAA lingo the way you read it from the text book. Go from the know to unknown, simple to complex. use analogies.

It's going to feel awkward for a while even after you get your ticket,
It took me a couple hundred hours of dual given until I really got solid with my teaching, ground & flight.
I still find myself learning better ways to approach things it's a never ending cycle of refining your craft
"If you are passionate about it"

Talk a lot, and know what you are saying.

Use real world scenarios and when possible do real world training "real grass and short fields"

If you aren't sure about something, don't bs your way through it, it's very hard to re teach a student the right way, after you told them the wrong way.

Back