Getting Healthy

pilot4500

IT Architect/ Former Cirrus Charter Pilot
I posted a thread a few months ago about having trouble renewing my medical certificate. A lot of it had to do with the fact that I basically let my health go to hell. I was 250 pounds and borderline diabetic at my last flight physical. I also had tachycardia and high blood pressure. After doing a bunch of tests my medical certificate wound up being denied. I never thought that would happen to me. I think most of my problems had to be with me being fat and eating terribly. I exercised but I was living on fast food and $5 pizzas from Little Caesars. Eating that kind of food nearly killed me, and it would kill anyone.

Two weeks ago I started a diet and exercise program. I have limited myself to 1,200 calories a day, have not set foot in a fast food or pizza place, and have banned all junk food from my diet. So far I have lost 10 pounds and feel like I have tons more energy than I used to. I am 32 and I feel better than I did at 22. I feel like I am finally taking control of my health.

Today I am going to be trying out the Insanity workout program. This is in addition to the walking and weight lifting that I have already been doing. My goal is to get my weight down to 190. I still have a long way to go, but I will get there.

My message to all the pilots out there is take care of your health because nobody will do it for you! That can be easier said than done when you are on the road all the time, but always make an effort to eat right and exercise. As pilots our careers depend on keeping our medical certification, and it is so easy for that to be taken away from you if you don't take care of your health.

I am working in the IT field now, but might the opportunity to do some part time flight instructing if I can get my medical back. I wish I would have taken control of my health situation sooner, but better late than never. At least I got it under control before going full diabetic. I hope that other pilots out there can learn from my experience.

Congratulations, you're doing the right thing and nice job on the first 10 pounds.

I'm kind of in the same position as you although I haven't had anything adverse show up on my medicals yet. How tall are you? My goal weight is also 190 but I have about 40 pounds left to get there.

Keep up the good work. It's not so much the actual calorie counting, but the type of calories you're taking in.

Good on you!! I was walking through Bed Bath and Beyond in November, and decided to jump on a scale for "fun." Well, lets say it ruined my day! I am 6'1 and when I got out of the military, I was a lean 185lbs. Well, that day in November, I was 240lbs! I didn't know how I let myself get to that point, but none the less I was there! Today I am back and in better shape than ever, so it can be done! Something that helped me actually was the Nike + Run app. It actually gave me goals to try for! And now my goals are higher than I could have ever thought!

Keep at it, you'll get that medical back!

Keep up the good work. It's not so much the actual calorie counting, but the type of calories you're taking in.

Eh, I dunno, the only way I have ever lost weight in any measurable amount is by the simple philosophy calories in do not exceed calories out.

Eh, I dunno, the only way I have ever lost weight in any measurable amount is by the simple philosophy calories in do not exceed calories out.

But if those calories in are 'empty' calories (i.e., Cheetos, white bread, Skittles, Pepsi, and pizza) as opposed to quality calories (healthy proteins, veggies, good grains, etc.), then no progress will get made. You'll just end up feeling miserable because you are hungry all the time, PLUS, you'll have zero energy. Your body will not do a lot of fat loss simply because you are eating less calories.

Don't get me wrong... less calories are a good thing. But the calories you do take in need to be quality. If all you eat are high fat, high-cholesterol foods, and highly-processed foods, you won't get anywhere fast.

Speaking of processed foods, that is one of the fastest, easiest changes to make. Stop buying food that comes in a package (with the exception of dairy and other foods that just can't be helped). Step away from the dinners in a box and the freezer aisle. Check the labels on the packaged foods you do buy, and steer clear of foods where high fructose corn syrup is among the first ingredients... or in the ingredients list at all. HCFS is a leading indicator in foods that are highly processed. As of two years ago, we stopped buying processed foods (for the most part) and it has made a huge difference in our eating health.

But if those calories in are 'empty' calories (i.e., Cheetos, white bread, Skittles, Pepsi, and pizza) as opposed to quality calories (healthy proteins, veggies, good grains, etc.), then no progress will get made. You'll just end up feeling miserable because you are hungry all the time, PLUS, you'll have zero energy. Your body will not do a lot of fat loss simply because you are eating less calories.

Don't get me wrong... less calories are a good thing. But the calories you do take in need to be quality. If all you eat are high fat, high-cholesterol foods, and highly-processed foods, you won't get anywhere fast.

Speaking of processed foods, that is one of the fastest, easiest changes to make. Stop buying food that comes in a package (with the exception of dairy and other foods that just can't be helped). Step away from the dinners in a box and the freezer aisle. Check the labels on the packaged foods you do buy, and steer clear of foods where high fructose corn syrup is among the first ingredients... or in the ingredients list at all. HCFS is a leading indicator in foods that are highly processed. As of two years ago, we stopped buying processed foods (for the most part) and it has made a huge difference in our eating health.

This. Nothing refined. Nothing more than 8 ingredients unless you made it yourself. No sugar, no flour, no rice, no corn. Pretty much anything else is fair game.

Here is where I would put in something like this: If you look at the amount of calories you eat when you eat a bag of skittles or a drink a bottle of pop and count it toward a reasonable, lets say 2000 calorie diet you will find yourself starving since you didn't eat any real quality calories. The nutrient rich foods you are talking about will fill you up better and give you more energy, and you'll eat less calories.

It works. I lost 130lbs. by eating healthy and running. No one lost weight by eating minimal calories and sitting on the couch.
The wife and I are possibly going to write a book about the experience, so if you're interested I can give you a few pointers.

+1 to this. I was that guy whose definition of health food was Lean Cuisine. After research and some good information (fooducate.com) you'll find that companies know all you care about is the calorie/fat/carb count and pack the food full of stuff that shouldn't even be called food. The result is your body trying to break down and process synthetics and this crap is what your body uses to sustain itself. No bueno.

It's not just a game of calories. You need the necessary amount of nutrition, and especially, you need a high protein, low carb diet. Even doing everything organic, it's still just about impossible to get the nutrition that you need without supplementation. Of course, there are quality supplements and those that are not so much.

Avoid anything processed. You do need some kind of exercise program.

For most people, getting to a healthy balance in real life involves a change in lifestyle. What's funny, is that once you get on this plan, if you go back and try eating a Big Mac, you'll feel horrible!

Anec-data is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Good luck to you - this is tough stuff to do.

When I was doing P-90 (Insanity is a variant) the thing I had to do was INCREASE my calorie intake, because 1200 a day ain't gonna do it. Your metabolism is gonna go way nuts and you're going to need fuel to burn fat. So you might need to increase what you eat, which, to me, is a bonus.

:)

Thank you all for the encouragement. I feel like I have so much more energy just cutting out all of the junk that I was eating before. I am 5'11", so 190 is my target weight for now. I may decide to try for a lower weight once I get there. Either way, I am determined to keep the weight loss going.

Ok. I will rephrase what I previously said, 99.5% of the general population cannot lose and maintain a "healthy" weight by sitting on the couch without any aerobic exercise.

You can lose weight with the "right" diet incorporating caloric restrictions, without exercise, but it's far from healthy.

Ok. I will rephrase what I previously said, 99.5% of the general population cannot lose and maintain a "healthy" weight by sitting on the couch without any aerobic exercise.

You didn't read the link with the study material explanations, did you?

The combination of proper diet and exercise has been working well for me. Not just in terms of weight loss but also a feeling of well being. I don't feel like a blimp anymore. I had the menus at McDonalds, Burger King, and Little Caesars memorized. I could get cheap food and lots of it, but it was slowly killing me. Now I cook at home most of the time, take my lunch to work with me, go for an exercise walk when I come home, and lift weights in the evening. I definitely spend more money on food than I used to, but I might get to live past the age of 50 as well. I plan to start incorporating the Insanity program into my exercise routine as well. If I do go out to eat, it is someplace with quality food, and I have learned which kinds of foods to avoid. I have a very long road ahead of me in terms of weight loss, but everyday I get more and more determined to reach my goal weight.

Congrats man!

But trust me living on a super healthy diet, being crazy about calories count, take supplements its not natural and you won`t enjoy life. Don`t eat processed stuff, pick natural and organic ingredients, reduce the sugar...you can really eat a bit of everything, eat more of the good stuff and less of the bad things. I have never cked calories on labels, ever, I just use common sense. I pig out on trans fat once a week and don`t feel about it, I don`t go to a gym or do crazy exercising but I take my bicycle to work and to the grocery store, or even walk there if the location allows it, I take the stairs every time I can, I do sports where you have a ton of fun and you get in shape in a passive way....this is Life on my dictionary.

Back