Getting Back Into It: Need Advise/Insight

Flybub

Hey everyone. I have been out of aviation for about 7 years. I came out of FlightSafety Academy in April of '02 with SEL/MEL Commercial. During my ME training my wife got pregnant (oops) and after I completed my SEL commercial ride we moved back to Ohio where we were from and where our family is. Neither of us had jobs in Vero so that was the major reason for the move since we were living off my Key Education Loan. The wife now is a Physical Therapist Asst. and I am a Supervisor in a family owned manufacturing company. My dream of becoming an airline pilot has come and gone unfortunately, but my passion to fly is still there. I still have alot of my material/books from FSI but I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a syllabus to start studying again since I have more or less forgot everything. I don't want to just do random topics I'd rather have an outline to follow. Nothing will come of this job wise unless there is a need for an aerial photo flight or something, this is strictly recreational. Now with 3 kids, mortgage, auto loans, and my FSI loan I cannot afford to dump alot back into training. Thanks for any help.

I would say go to your local FBO and just go flying :D

Get with a CFI and it's just like riding a bike--;)

Other than that--you could always go over to the FAA's website and download all their texts for free.....but I think your best bet is to talk to a CFI and go from their.

You could start with reading the AIM from start to finish. Or if you are looking for an outline you could get a private pilot/instrument/commercial PTS and go through those. Good luck!

glad to hear your getting back into flying!! Im not sure how you lived without it for so long! I mean putting family first? pshhhhh :laff::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I agree with what was said above, get out to an FBO and just get going again.

Thanks for everyones help so far. A freind of my mother in laws is an instructor at a nearby airport and he has been bugging me the last couple of years to get back into it but I haven't had the money to do it. Not that I have the money now, but I am not getting any younger at the ripe age of 28. My goal (and dream job since my cousin and I were kids) was to fly commercially. My cousin is a year older than me and is now a Captain for ExpressJet. He is where I have always wanted to be and seeing where I am now I don't think I can make that happen now since: #1 Lacking a degree, only 2 years of credit at Ohio State. #2 I only have 230 hours and instruction time here in Ohio probably won't build time very fast so I could be 50 by the time I hit mins. #3 Having a family it would be nearly impossible to relocate to instruct if I decided to go that route.

So unless a big oppertunity comes knocking I am doing this for recreation :(

Sorry for the rant but I'm a little upset with myself for not pushing myself when I had the chance. But again thank you for all for your help and I'm sure I'll be on here to ask many more questions.

but I am not getting any younger at the ripe age of 28.
With 28 you still have sufficient time - you are definitely NOT to old to get into commercial flying!!! Be a little more positive!!!!

You mentioned that you know somebody who is an instructor, wouldn't it be possible to talk to him and figure out a deal? If you'd be a buddy of mine, I'd give you the flight review for free, you'd just need to find a cheap rental plane.

You're 28. You're not old.

Your age is not keeping you from being an airline pilot.

So unless a big oppertunity comes knocking I am doing this for recreation :(

Sorry for the rant but I'm a little upset with myself for not pushing myself when I had the chance. But again thank you for all for your help and I'm sure I'll be on here to ask many more questions.

If I was you I wouldn't feel upset at all. Think about it you have a house, family and job. Sounds like you have a stable relatively care free life(plus you get to sleep in your own bed!). Your cousin is a captain at express which is good for him, but who knows you might've ended up furloughed or a captain also?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flying recreationally. Flying recreationally is alot different than 121. Go where you want when you want vs. being a slave to the clock. Isn't that the true meaning of flying? The free like a bird feeling we all love...

Besides low paying regional FO jobs will always exist. Hell your only 28! They'll hire you when your 50, who cares get your pension and retire and then go fly when your kids are gone from the roost.

my ADVICE would be to learn to spell, especially words like opportunity and advice. Sorry, just being a #### here, but the spelling errors i see sometimes....geeze-louise!

In all seriousness, as a newly minted pilot (for recreation only) I would agree with the others: find a CFI and go have fun. It's only $100-$200 per hour for those hamburgers.

I just got back in the flying saddle a week ago after not flying for about 2 years. Honestly, find yourself a GREAT instructor that you feel comfortable with. My friend Dan offered his services and it is amazing how getting back in the swing of things is aided by a comfortable but professional environment. Next, do any number of these online courses at the air safety foundation. They have a great IFR section involving GPS, WAAS, procedures etc. http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

It is amazing how stuff has changed. in such a short amount of time. Do some ground school, brush up on airspace rules etc, and then just get in the airplane and FLY. I thought it was a cliche, but it really is like riding a bicycle. Try to get some good crosswind landings in to boost your confidence on actually flying the airplane.

Enjoy...welcome back...it's great to get back in the air again :D

Back