Getting around

Zach

Ok this may seem like a silly question but I'm from Seattle so all I have is rain. I'm looking to get around without a car while I'm in college (either Purdue or UND) and that pretty much leaves me with a bike. Do many people use bikes at UND? Second question-- is it hard to get around in the winter on a bike? Can't say I've ever ridden through anything nastier than rain, so forgive my naïvete. Starbucks is a two-or-so mile ride south of campus, looks like....

Thanks
Zach

Hey Zach,

so your interests in UND have sparked again. Well that is good because it is a decent school. It's funny you mentioned Starbucks, someone just put a new one about 200 yards away from Target (which has a Starbucks inside). I didn't even know we were getting one until I drove by and saw it already doing business.

Yeah, plenty of students ride bikes around here, just not much (if at all) in the winter. It is too dang cold in the winter to be riding bikes, but on occasion, you will see students riding bikes in the winter. But, for that to happen it is above freezing (rare) and the streets are free of snow. To help with studenst not having cars, UND pays the city to allow students to ride the city bus for free. Also, we have a Cab Crawler program which is $2 for a taxi anywhere from 8pm to 2am (mostly used by drunk students not wanting to drive).

For aviation students, an aviation shuttle runs every half hour to the airport from Odegard Hall (also free).

Now for my own pitch to sell UND to you. There is a program that will be starting as soon as the Eclipse Jet is certified and in production. It will be at least a couple years, but UND is getting a few of the first jets. Students will be trained in jet operations (heard this from an instructor who has been here forever). Once this program is in place, you should be ready to take that course. Also, in early 2005, UND will be the launch customer of a new glass cockpit warrior.

Any more questions, just ask.

Yeah, my interest has sparked again. I did visit Purdue last month and absolutely loved it, it's a terrific program. However, a few things I have to take into consideration... first, from my math, UND is roughly half as much money as Purdue (out-of-state tution at Purdue isn't too cheap and they're not offering me the big-time scholarships some better schools have :/ ie, USC, $14k a year, too bad I don't want to go to USC eh?). Second, I know a bunch of pilots at Alaska, one of whom said that if I went to UND then my chances of a slot at Horizon are greatly increased (as in a personal recommendation). Alaska's chief pilot told me the same thing. That's where he sent his son. And I have a bunch of friends going to UND. So I'm torn. I'm still thinking about it.

Back to the subject at hand, though, I appreciate the info... yeah I had a feeling that biking in winter weather probably wasn't the greatest idea. Between the busses (which I checked the routes and one runs right by sbux
smile.gif
) and that taxi thing I'm sure I could get around as much as I needed to.

Thanks for the info about the new program, I wasn't aware of that. With that and the new CRJ sim, stuff really looks good there. Quick question, just while I'm thinking about it (and I'll peruse the forum real quick to see if someone already asked), how many of the flight students get into the CRJ program? Is it selective or standard? Thanks.

Zach

[ QUOTE ]
how many of the flight students get into the CRJ program? Is it selective or standard? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone gets (must) to do the CRJ program do graduate. The class is taken the last semester the student is at UND before graduating.

[ QUOTE ]
first, from my math, UND is roughly half as much money as Purdue

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing good about going to school in ND, the state accepts anyone (even if a full time student) as a resident of this state after 12 months. I have looked at other schools (before coming here) and you had to jump through lots of hoops and barrells to get in-state residency. One of the first classes you take here (avit 100), they teach you how to gain residency as soon as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, I know a bunch of pilots at Alaska, one of whom said that if I went to UND then my chances of a slot at Horizon are greatly increased (as in a personal recommendation). Alaska's chief pilot told me the same thing. That's where he sent his son. And I have a bunch of friends going to UND. So I'm torn. I'm still thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and everyone else here from Washington, which there are a lot of. Only the state of Minnesota sends has more aviation students here than Washington. North Dakota doesn't have hardly any at all. I have some friends from WA and they all say "I'd like to work for Horizon then Alaska when I am qualifiedand." You wouldn't believe how many times I have heard that line. I once heard that 1/2 of the pilots at Horizon are from UND. So if you want to work there, come here, your chances are great.

Horizon and Alaska are always here on campus talking about their interviewing process, working for them, recruiting interns, etc. I have went to two these sessions and I can say they both would be great to work for.

Hope this helps, anythng else, just hollar.

Hey man, thanks a lot for all the info. I talked to another Alaska pilot, one that frequently visits UND to talk to freshmen, last night and he confirmed that half or more of QX pilots come from UND, so that's good.... He suggested I visit UND (probably in January) to see how I like it and talk with Ken Polivitz (i think thats his name).

Thanks again...
zach

Yea, if you can meet with Ken do it. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. I have a good friend that is up for a visit this weekand. I was showing him around the Aerospace complex and Ken was giving his spiel to a group of prospective students and their parents, we sat down and listened for awhile and even I found it informational, and I've been here for a year and a half.

Back