Getting an AGI certificate

J777Fly

Hello,
Once I have completed my Fundamental of Instructing and Flight Instructor written exams, what do I need to do to get my Advance ground instructor certificate? Do I need to take my results to my nearest FSDO?And are there any fees associated with the process?
Thanks

you need to take the test though, i am pretty sure it is almost the same test as the Flight Instructor, but check under 61.2xx it is like .213 or .217, i can't remember right now.

It's the FI-A test, redux. Pay your $60-100, take the test again, fill out an 8710 and take it down to the FSDO; they'll give you your new ground instructor temporary on the spot.

Be sure to call ahead before heading down to the FSDO, however, as many require an appointment.

§ 61.215 Ground instructor privileges.

(a) A person who holds a basic ground instructor rating is authorized to provide—
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, private pilot certificate, or associated ratings under this part;
(2) Ground training required for a sport pilot, recreational pilot, and private pilot flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, or private pilot certificate under this part.
(b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part.
(c) A person who holds an instrument ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for an instrument proficiency check; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part.
(d) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate is authorized, within the limitations of the ratings on the ground instructor certificate, to endorse the logbook or other training record of a person to whom the holder has provided the training or recommendation specified in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.

Yes, you can charge for your time.

I would say you can charge for ground instruction with a ground instructor rating. Why would you get one if you couldn't charge. You can teach anyone anything for free... no license required for that.

Do you need to take the FIA written? I thought you could just get your AGI/IGI without being a flight instuctor.

Ok is there much of a market to do this full time at a flight school or freelance instructor? Or would you more likely do this on a part-time basis?

There is very little market for purely ground instructors. Occasionally you can find some supplementary work doing some ground training at an FBO where you're working towards other your Instructor-Airplane ratings. Beyond that opportunities are almost unheard of. Unless, of course, you're grizzled old salt who finally lost his medical but has decades of valuable experience to pass along.

Realistically, people know the AGI is a gimme rating and, further, there can be some bitterness from the full-fledged instructors when someone who's just taken a written test comes and eats into their precious hours. I'd still recommend getting the AGI; just don't expect to actually do much with it.

Back