Getting a minor, keeping my major

captainphil

I was just wondering if in the future an airline would consider this. I know they really don't care if you hvae a professional pilot degree but thats what my major is. The thing is, I am going to minor in something totally outside of aviation. It will most likely will be something related to law. With that minor would they consider hiring me? or do they want to see that both my major and minor were unrelated to aviation. I know my main concern is my PPL but i'm trying to see if my future is worth me taking a flying major.Thanks

The airlines really do not care what your degree is in. When the major or minor comes into play is when you need a job OUTSIDE of aviation. Then most likely your minor isn't going to matter if you have an aviation degree. Of course, there will be about 87 different opinions when you check on this message in a couple of days. My personal recommendation is get a major OUTSIDE of aviation if you are still in a position to do that (in the first two years of undergrad work).

The airlines really do not care what your degree is in. When the major or minor comes into play is when you need a job OUTSIDE of aviation. Then most likely your minor isn't going to matter if you have an aviation degree. Of course, there will be about 87 different opinions when you check on this message in a couple of days. My personal recommendation is get a major OUTSIDE of aviation if you are still in a position to do that (in the first two years of undergrad work).

I really love the professional pilot program though and the classes needed for those. There really is no other major I care about or care to spend money for classes on.Do any companys look at minors?I would minor in some law because I know god forbid I loose my first class I would fly in another form and become a police officer which was my first choice along time ago.Not giving up on my dream of being a pilot though.

Once again, airlines DO NOT CARE what your major is. They also don't care what your minor is if you have one.

I have a degree in Finance. I have worked for four (4) airlines (Pace Airlines, ExpressJet, AirTran, Delta). I can tell you with 100% certainty that your major means nothing in the eyes of an interviewer. That you have a four-year degree is all that matters.

If aviation is what you want to study, then go ahead and major and minor in it. This is the one time in your life where you will be able to spend your time studying exactly what you want to learn about it, so take advantage of it.

There will be other opportunities to study something else later, if you decide not to stick with aviation.

Well, I agree that the aviation classes are much more interesting than say finance classes. One of the good things about law enforcement is that you often only need 60 hours anyway, so just having a bachelor's degree puts you above the pack. There is nothing wrong with pursuing aviation but having a backup is a darn good idea. Reading your posts over the last couple of months has showed that you have a good head on your shoulders so I think you'll do just fine. :)

Well, I agree that the aviation classes are much more interesting than say finance classes. One of the good things about law enforcement is that you often only need 60 hours anyway, so just having a bachelor's degree puts you above the pack. There is nothing wrong with pursuing aviation but having a backup is a darn good idea. Reading your posts over the last couple of months has showed that you have a good head on your shoulders so I think you'll do just fine. :)

Thanks Galaxy that means alot.

I'm getting the aviation major with a management minor. Honestly, the minor was a total accident. I looked up, and through the elective classes I took, I already had the requirements for a minor in management. Go figure.

I was just wondering if in the future an airline would consider this. I know they really don't care if you hvae a professional pilot degree but thats what my major is. The thing is, I am going to minor in something totally outside of aviation. It will most likely will be something related to law. With that minor would they consider hiring me? or do they want to see that both my major and minor were unrelated to aviation. I know my main concern is my PPL but i'm trying to see if my future is worth me taking a flying major.Thanks

Its the piece of paper that means something to them. I'm a math major now, and not an aviation tech major because I'm interested in math more than I'm interested in paying for my ratings again. Don't get me wrong, the aviation majors are wayyyyyyy fun, and you get to take cool clases like aerodynamics and intro to advanced navigation and the like, but if I can't fly one day, I want to have a fall back. A way to make money outside aviation is probably the most important thing you can have if the industry decides to really go tango uniform, or if you hit 6000TT and are getting bored (which there are plenty of people who do). So it may be a good choice to minor in aviation, and major in something else. Don't let me dissuade you though, from the path you feel is right, do what you want and don't let a message board (albeit a good one) slow you down in your search for success.

Law Enforcement is my backup. I talked to some LEO's I know here and they said you need at least 15 college credits (4yr to be competitive) and it doesn't matter whether it's in History or Criminal Justice.

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but how is a math major better than an aviation major in the world of "fall back" degrees? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're majoring in something you enjoy, which is what I always stress the most. If you enjoy math more than aviation, go for it. Me personally, I almost cried when I found out I had to take one more math to finish off my degree. :)

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but how is a math major better than an aviation major in the world of "fall back" degrees?

Math, physics and engineering majors are sought after by Wall Street companies for financial analyst positions.

Back