Geographic Preferences & Where are the jobs??

ATC_Hopeful

I'm currently in the hiring process. I took the AT-SAT on Jan. 10th in Holtsville, NY (93.9, WQ!), and the next step seems to be the Geographic Preferences. What takes place during this step? After all, I filled out my "Top 10" during the application process.

Also, does anyone have any information on where the jobs are? The FAA job posts generically say, "Throughout the US", but does anyone have any info on where they are most needed/least needed. I'll take hard facts or anecdotal evidence.

Yep. Tell them you want terminal in Louisiana and they'll fast-track you. Or Guam Center or Nantucket. Be ready though - once you're there you will not be able to get out.

Guam? For real? Dang!

We have a flight attendant that commutes from Guam to NYC and you ought to hear what she says about Guam!

Did anyone else wonder why our ZTL-bound ATC Hopeful was talking about the AT-SAT and asking about geo prefs? :confused:

No? Just me? :banghead:

Welcome, ATC_Hopeful :panic:

I'm currently in the hiring process. I took the AT-SAT on Jan. 10th in Holtsville, NY (93.9, WQ!), and the next step seems to be the Geographic Preferences. What takes place during this step? After all, I filled out my "Top 10" during the application process.

Also, does anyone have any information on where the jobs are? The FAA job posts generically say, "Throughout the US", but does anyone have any info on where they are most needed/least needed. I'll take hard facts or anecdotal evidence.
If you filled out your "top 10" then you obviously did not read the instructions on the application.
No one knows where the jobs are for sure. Call facilities if you want to know their manning levels.

Louisiana is definitely in need, as noted by the 2nd chance letters sent to some PUBNAT2 applicants and the FAAs little note in the PUBNAT7 application.

Memphis Center may/may not be in dire need, though I know the folks I talked to in the training department seemed to be glad to know that some folks were coming their way in the next few months. I know it seemed to be a favorite spot for the FAA to stick people in the PUBNAT2 panels who did not otherwise ask for that location.

I took the test on the 7th(holtsville too) and got a 95, am thinking of putting ny and ca as my twoi states since both have alot of large facilities, thinkl those are two good choices or should i put lousiana for one?

Someone I used to work with is going to Guam. It was actually by choice. It's a nice little place, so I've heard, as long as you like the tropics and don't mind being away from most of the amenities the CONUS offers. It's just a few hours from Australia, Japan/Korea, and Hawaii. Of course...when you're living in Guam, who needs to go to Hawaii?

It used to be one of the USAF's "short tour" locations...those places designated as hardship locations that you typically only had to stay at for a year to year and a half, compared to 2-4 year long tours at other overseas locations (Germany, Italy, Japan). The AF caught on though that folks were volunteering for Guam rather than for places like Korea and Turkey, and turned it into a long tour. I doubt many people cared, though.

I took the test on the 7th(holtsville too) and got a 95, am thinking of putting ny and ca as my twoi states since both have alot of large facilities, thinkl those are two good choices or should i put lousiana for one?

Do not put louisiana unless you absolutely would consider living there, because if you put it down you're going to get it. Nothing against Louisiana, but seriously think about whether you can see yourself living there.

And seriously dude...you DON"T want to start out at a large facility. Getting LAX or JFK is a death wish for someone with no experience. You also better be willing to live off of Ramen for your first few years as well, because your salary will not make up for the CoL in the beginning.

And seriously dude...you DON"T want to start out at a large facility. Getting LAX or JFK is a death wish for someone with no experience. You also better be willing to live off of Ramen for your first few years as well, because your salary will not make up for the CoL in the beginning.
this may be why i am NOT an Air Traffic Controller, but I would want to be a tower controller at small airport in the middle of nowhere with like 85 aircraft/day.

Anywho...back on track.

I know a large facility would be harder at first but I thrive in situations like that, I love when #### hits the fan and you gotta do everything you can to keep from drowning
wouldnt mind working at new orleans tracon, lvl 9 seems like itd be a good start
I think from the descriptions Id like tracon work, altho really need to do some more research and visit some places

Yeah, I'm thinking Boston Center or Washington Center... ZBW being L11 and ZDC being L12. I'm kind of wondering if I'd be better suited for a busy TRACON or even a tower... ha.

What sort of facility is better to work in? Are the enroutes good working environments or is seeing the aircraft and skies from the tower worth getting up for? :)

Yeah, I'm thinking Boston Center or Washington Center... ZBW being L11 and ZDC being L12. I'm kind of wondering if I'd be better suited for a busy TRACON or even a tower... ha.

What sort of facility is better to work in? Are the enroutes good working environments or is seeing the aircraft and skies from the tower worth getting up for? :)

I know that there are plenty of people here who love the idea of working in a center. I, personally, think I would hate it. I love aviation for the planes and airport environment. Can't imagine staring at blips on a screen for 8 hours a day miles away from the actual airports. I think that type of environment would lose the 'aviation feel' pretty quickly.

Back