Gauging Interest - Math for Pilots

Man, I wish I could remember the title of the book, but I have what you are generally describing, buried away in a bookshelf or probably some forgotten box in my house. I think what you are proposing is perhaps a little more "dummies" level, which is good, but this book broke it down pretty well. I'm in sunny FL this week, but when I get back home, I'll see if I can find it, so you can have something for comparison/not duplicating efforts purposes.

Bottom line - write the book. If nothing else comes out of it - you wrote a book.
And it's got numbers and formulae and stuff in there, not some vampires-that-sparkle-in-the-sun bs.

I know a dude who wrote a book on holds.
Advanced Guide to Holding Patterns
by Mr. Christian Edmund Pezalla

I don't know anyone who read it, but he was signing it at Sun-n-Fun, so you know, it's kind of a big deal.

Go for it, I'll buy a copy. Can't promise I'll read it, but hey, if it's nice and solid literature I might smack a student who can't subtract one Hobbs reading from the other with it.

Haha it is 84 pages! One of the instructors I had said to fly a hold however I want they won't know care as long as you are close to the fix on their scopes.

The size and shape of the holding pattern is going to be totally different depending on your speed and winds aloft. The TERPS allow for a huge protected area. As long as you're on the correct side of the hold I can't imaging ATC even paying attention to you. You could probably do figure 8s out there and nobody would care.

Haha it is 84 pages! One of the instructors I had said to fly a hold however I want they won't know care as long as you are close to the fix on their scopes.
As I said, I know the guy and don't know anyone who read the book.
It might or might not be a riveting piece of literature :rolleyes:

That's a awesome chapter list/outline you got there. I'd be very interested. I like the DIY bombsite chapter ;-)

Something else to maybe add...climb gradients and how to calculate them. When a ODP requires a certain gradient, how your ground speed and vertical speed play into that. I like to calculate it on my e6b (but I'm a nerd) vs looking it up in the table.

And who really needs 84 pages of how to fly a hold?

A DPE I know actually wrote a document that is full of easy rules of thumb and math calculations for pilots. I go back and refer to it all the time.

Back