Gastro Behcets - Can I get a Class 2? AME assistance please.

CICSchmidt

I have gotten my yearly U.S. Navy OPNAV 3710.7U flight physical medical clearance to fly in the back of military aircraft as a photographer since 2008 with no problems, however, when I tried to get a Class 3 in 2013 I was denied due to the fact I take 10mg of Amitriptyline nightly for IBS. I am now required to get a Class 2 Medical for a new job and want to make sure I don't run into any issues when I visit with the AME doc for my physical. I have changed my diet to assist with my IBS so I am going off of Amitriptyline so that won't be an issue but what I am concerned with are some recent diagnoses. Details are below:

- Rosacea: I use a small amount of Soolantra on my face daily and it works great.
- Behcets: It's been over 2 years of doctors visits and tests and finally my doctors have come up with this diagnosis. My main symptoms are ulcers on my lady bits, however, I sometimes get acne like bumps on my chest, tiny sores in my nose, oral ulcers (rarely), and minor scalp psoriasis. My Rheumatologist and Dermatologist aren't completely sure yet but they think that my IBS (diagnosed in 2010) may actually be what they call “Gastrointestinal Behcets.” With all that said I want to make it clear that I do not have any eye, memory, neurological, or balance issues, which can also be associated with this disease. I've only recently been diagnosed so my doctors are currently discussing how to treat this. I currently use Lidocaine ointment and Clobetasol ointment to numb and help heal the ulcers down below when needed. Medications they are considering starting me on are .6mg Colchicine (daily) and Humira injections and this is to primarily help reduce the ulcer flares I get down below.

Another thing to note is that I am currently recovering from C.Diff. I don't think this will factor in but I at least wanted to mention it in case it does. I'm on a 10 day supply of Vancomycin 125MG to help with this and am currently "med-down" until I come off this medicine.

This new job means more than anything to me so I want to be completely prepared when I go to an AME doctor for my physical. Any advice or recommendations you can provide is VERY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thanks.

Hello CICSchmidt,

Regarding your rosacea, it is unlikely that the disease nor your use of Soolantra will be problematic, just list them on your application.

The fact that you were denied a medical in the past for IBS treated with Amitriptyline will already be known to the FAA when you apply again. Even with cessation of the Amitriptyline (ideally under a physician's guidance) you will need to supply a status report from your treating physician and have your medical records available for review.

Regarding the Behcet's, none of the medications you list would necessarily exclude you from getting a medical certificate, although again the FAA will expect you to supply status reports and possibly medical records/labs from your treating physicians. If issued you will likely be given a Special Issuance that requires you to provide the FAA with updates on your condition on a more frequent basis.

We had an airman on this board last August with Behcet's if you search old messages. His application was deferred. Perhaps you could message him @dougperzyk and see if the FAA was favorable in their decision?

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Last edited:
I would like to get your opinion before i invest in time and money for getting a class II certificate. I am not a pilot just trying to get back into being an Aircrew backseater in the back, as i was a crew chief and wanted to apply for civilian companies.

I was given some bad advice and information in the past that had me questioned them when i got my ticket last year. To sum it up, I was honorably discharged from the military and currently rated at 100% VA service connected. I have PTSD/ Anxiety with no incidents and was given Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg once a day in the past but i told my doctor that i did not take it because i did not need it. I was also given Alprazolam as needed, but i dont normally take it because i can manage. I have Sleep Apnea on CPAP and is well controlled.
Here lies the issues. I was given advice from different retired pilots and aircrew that i need to separate the disabilities from the VA and the civilian side. Hence to only disclose the medicines and issues i have that my civilian doctor have been treating me, such as cholesterol meds, Naproxen and some Tylenol for being matured as they said that's what they do. I did not think this was right and called the FAA office and asked them if they pull the VA records, which the pilots said they dont and cant, and the FAA said they do not and they cannot unless they have a court order. The FAA representative stated that they only go with what the airman says. This is probably why the old crusty pilots did not disclose their va disabilities and medical. So i believed the Pilots abut decided to talk with some current pilots and they told me that the old crusty pilots were wrong and that i have to disclose everything. So now here i am freaking out because i am afraid that i will not get a Class II certificate any longer to apply for aircrew jobs because of the advice

Are the PTSD, Anxiety, Sleep Apnea grounds for not getting a Class II? I read that Sleep Apnea is good but PTSD and Anxiety is not. If it is a disqualification and there is no way i can get a ticket, i will disregard my chances of getting an Aircrew job and not renew my expired ticket and call it the day.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have gotten my yearly U.S. Navy OPNAV 3710.7U flight physical medical clearance to fly in the back of military aircraft as a photographer since 2008 with no problems, however, when I tried to get a Class 3 in 2013 I was denied due to the fact I take 10mg of Amitriptyline nightly for IBS. I am now required to get a Class 2 Medical for a new job and want to make sure I don't run into any issues when I visit with the AME doc for my physical. I have changed my diet to assist with my IBS so I am going off of Amitriptyline so that won't be an issue but what I am concerned with are some recent diagnoses. Details are below:

- Rosacea: I use a small amount of Soolantra on my face daily and it works great.
- Behcets: It's been over 2 years of doctors visits and tests and finally my doctors have come up with this diagnosis. My main symptoms are ulcers on my lady bits, however, I sometimes get acne like bumps on my chest, tiny sores in my nose, oral ulcers (rarely), and minor scalp psoriasis. My Rheumatologist and Dermatologist aren't completely sure yet but they think that my IBS (diagnosed in 2010) may actually be what they call “Gastrointestinal Behcets.” With all that said I want to make it clear that I do not have any eye, memory, neurological, or balance issues, which can also be associated with this disease. I've only recently been diagnosed so my doctors are currently discussing how to treat this. I currently use Lidocaine ointment and Clobetasol ointment to numb and help heal the ulcers down below when needed. Medications they are considering starting me on are .6mg Colchicine (daily) and Humira injections and this is to primarily help reduce the ulcer flares I get down below.

Another thing to note is that I am currently recovering from C.Diff. I don't think this will factor in but I at least wanted to mention it in case it does. I'm on a 10 day supply of Vancomycin 125MG to help with this and am currently "med-down" until I come off this medicine.

This new job means more than anything to me so I want to be completely prepared when I go to an AME doctor for my physical. Any advice or recommendations you can provide is VERY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thanks.
Hey, I don't want to come off as dick-ish, but most of those diseases are related to nerves. I'm not sure the stress of flying airplanes is going to create improvement in any of your conditions. Maybe you'd do better to do more photography and forget the stress of flying. That would also relieve the stress of going through all the hoops to get the medical that, if got, will allow you the opportunity to undergo more stress. I'm saying this sincerely, and with no malice.

Hey, I don't want to come off as dick-ish, but most of those diseases are related to nerves. I'm not sure the stress of flying airplanes is going to create improvement in any of your conditions. Maybe you'd do better to do more photography and forget the stress of flying. That would also relieve the stress of going through all the hoops to get the medical that, if got, will allow you the opportunity to undergo more stress. I'm saying this sincerely, and with no malice.
I've been an air-to-air photographer since 2007 and never intend on being a pilot but I have to get a Class 2 for my job. While yes, there is truth to what you say, anxiety, does make things worse but I've found great ways of dealing with it and I'm really good at what I do.

I would like to get your opinion before i invest in time and money for getting a class II certificate. I am not a pilot just trying to get back into being an Aircrew backseater in the back, as i was a crew chief and wanted to apply for civilian companies.

I was given some bad advice and information in the past that had me questioned them when i got my ticket last year. To sum it up, I was honorably discharged from the military and currently rated at 100% VA service connected. I have PTSD/ Anxiety with no incidents and was given Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg once a day in the past but i told my doctor that i did not take it because i did not need it. I was also given Alprazolam as needed, but i dont normally take it because i can manage. I have Sleep Apnea on CPAP and is well controlled.
Here lies the issues. I was given advice from different retired pilots and aircrew that i need to separate the disabilities from the VA and the civilian side. Hence to only disclose the medicines and issues i have that my civilian doctor have been treating me, such as cholesterol meds, Naproxen and some Tylenol for being matured as they said that's what they do. I did not think this was right and called the FAA office and asked them if they pull the VA records, which the pilots said they dont and cant, and the FAA said they do not and they cannot unless they have a court order. The FAA representative stated that they only go with what the airman says. This is probably why the old crusty pilots did not disclose their va disabilities and medical. So i believed the Pilots abut decided to talk with some current pilots and they told me that the old crusty pilots were wrong and that i have to disclose everything. So now here i am freaking out because i am afraid that i will not get a Class II certificate any longer to apply for aircrew jobs because of the advice

Are the PTSD, Anxiety, Sleep Apnea grounds for not getting a Class II? I read that Sleep Apnea is good but PTSD and Anxiety is not. If it is a disqualification and there is no way i can get a ticket, i will disregard my chances of getting an Aircrew job and not renew my expired ticket and call it the day.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Tom,

As you and I have been communicating by email about your specific situation I won't go into depth on this forum, other than to say that you should disclose your entire medical history when applying for a medical certificate with the FAA. If information comes to light that history was not disclosed the FAA has the full backing of the government to implement harsh penalties.

Dr. F

Back