Garmin GTN750 - VOR/ILS identification

Shiftace

s***posting with decency. trolling with integrity.
Could be a redundant question, but I am not sure as a new CFII.

When I did my IR a few years ago with the Garmin 430 - we were told to identify the VOR/ILS etc by listening to the Morse code. Fast forward a few years and I am teaching my student on the Garmin 750 in his plane. Do we still need to listen for the Morse code? Some folks say that if the Garmin display the VOR name/ID then there is no need to listen to the code.

What say you?

Could be a redundant question, but I am not sure as a new CFII.

When I did my IR a few years ago with the Garmin 430 - we were told to identify the VOR/ILS etc by listening to the Morse code. Fast forward a few years and I am teaching my student on the Garmin 750 in his plane. Do we still need to listen for the Morse code? Some folks say that if the Garmin display the VOR name/ID then there is no need to listen to the code.

What say you?

I am pretty sure the Garman is listening to the code for you. I may be wrong about that, but if you get a positive identification, with the correct letters, then, no, I don’t think there is any reason for you to listen for it.

This Garmin 750 blurb says its displays the ID from decoded Morse.

“The GTN also automatically decodes a station’s Morse code to provide a positive identification – no aural decoding required.”

What say you?
What I say doesn't matter much. Then there's what the FAA says in the AIM.
Some VOR equipment decodes the identifier and displays it to the pilot for verification to charts, while other equipment simply displays the expected identifier from a database to aid in verification to the audio tones. You should be familiar with your equipment and use it appropriately. If your equipment automatically decodes the identifier, it is not necessary to listen to the audio identification. AIM 1-1-3.c.
The catch is understanding the equipment. There are actually two different identifications in Garmin equipment. One is a pure database pull - "oh, you put in that frequency? You must want this nearby one." The second is when it identifies the signal.

1685461852758.png

Back