Garmin 430 Instrument Panel Self Test?

guywhoflies

Y'NO WUT IM SAYIN
When looking over the Instrument Panel Self Test page, I was always taught to check that the NAV1 glideslope and localizer agreed with the GPS (half up, half left, nav flags out of view). These were on aircraft that were not WAAS equipped.

Now I am flying an aircraft that the glideslope does not move during the self test. I would assume that it is because the glideslope is not linked to the GPS since it is not WAAS, but then why did the other GPS's do it?

I have done some research but can't find anything more than this:

The Instrument Panel Self-test Page allows the
pilot to verify that the GNS 430 is communicating
properly with in-panel instruments. Compare
on-screen indications with the information
depicted on connected instruments, such as the​
CDI, HSI, RMI, and/or external annunciators.

Anyone out there with intimate knowledge of the GNS430 and all its inner-workings?

And please no jokes about sexual acts with a GPS receiver, I don't want this to get moved to the lav.;)

When looking over the Instrument Panel Self Test page, I was always taught to check that the NAV1 glideslope and localizer agreed with the GPS (half up, half left, nav flags out of view). These were on aircraft that were not WAAS equipped.

Now I am flying an aircraft that the glideslope does not move during the self test. I would assume that it is because the glideslope is not linked to the GPS since it is not WAAS, but then why did the other GPS's do it?

I have done some research but can't find anything more than this:

The Instrument Panel Self-test Page allows the
pilot to verify that the GNS 430 is communicating
properly with in-panel instruments. Compare
on-screen indications with the information
depicted on connected instruments, such as the
CDI, HSI, RMI, and/or external annunciators.

Anyone out there with intimate knowledge of the GNS430 and all its inner-workings?

And please no jokes about sexual acts with a GPS receiver, I don't want this to get moved to the lav.;)

I get half up and half left on all our planes that are a mixture of WAAS and non-WAAS.

It's been a while since I've flown a G430 airplane, but does the glideslope work properly normally in this aircraft? Because if it is not moving during the self test, that might indicate to me that the G430 isn't communicating glideslope information to the indicator at all. Also, have you checked Garmin's website for some more detailed documentation?

You're not crazy, I'd definitely continue to look into this.

It should be showing the prescribed deflection regardless of what type is it, the CDI is slaved through the 430 whether it be WAAS or not.

Unless this is plugged into some other nav radio then you have a problem somewhere.

Something is not talking to the other. Either the CDI isn't talking back, or the GPS isn't speaking. It doesnot matter if it is WAAS or not, the self test say "LCDI half left" and "VCDI Half Up." If it does not pass the test that the equipment tests for, then it did not pass. If the WAAS and non-WAAS still have to pass the same test, and one fails, the one that failed is still broken.

one key point that hasnt been mentioned yet is that the 430 is also a VHF nav/comm. The GS isnt moving, theres a problem. Does the GS work while flying an ILS using the 430 in VLOC mode? My guess, probably not.

At college all 26 of our cessnas were non-waas and all 26 of them self tested with the CDI moving. I can't imagine things are hooked up right if that isn't working and I would bet SIUav8er is right about the ILS, give it a shot. Good call on the VHF Nav hook up IMO.

Edit: From the manual, page 5

To ensure that your GNS 430 and any connected instruments are working properly, check for the following indications on your CDI/HSI, RMI, external annunciators and other connected instruments:

Course deviation - half left / no flag
TO/FROM flag - TO
Bearing to destination - 135
Distance to destination - 10.0 nautical miles
All external annunciators (if installed) - on
Glideslope - half up / no flag
Time to destination - 4 minutes
Desired track - 149.5
Ground speed - 150

For added info, I just realized you could do this after reading: The instrument panel self-test page indicates the currently selected OBS course, fuel capacity (CAP), fuel on board (FOB) and fuel flow (FF). The fuel capacity, fuel on board and fuel flow may be manually entered if your installation does not include connection to sensors which automatically provide these figures.

Thanks for all the replies. Everyone seems to agree that something isn't right with either the GNS 430 or the nav instrument (or both).

Some people asked about the glideslope while shooting an ILS. Well, it works fine. That is what is so perplexing to me. The only thing wrong (from what I can tell) is during the self test.

I will email Garmin and see what they think about it.

Again, thanks for the help everybody.

Some people asked about the glideslope while shooting an ILS. Well, it works fine. That is what is so perplexing to me. The only thing wrong (from what I can tell) is during the self test.
Wull that don't make no kinda sense.

Does anyone know if the GNS 430 was available as a factory install in the 2000 Skyhawk?

It was for the 2001's as DWC upgraded their entire fleet which came with these installed. This happened in 2001 so I am not sure if the aircraft they purchased were 2000 or 2001 models, either way I would suspect yes but am unsure.

Good question...I will have to find out. Does anyone know if the GNS 430 was available as a factory install in the 2000 Skyhawk?

I know it has all Bendix King avionics (besides the 430, of course)

To my knowledge, pre-Nav III Skyhawks never came with any sort of Garmin avionics.

Sounds like a bad installation. Have your management get with the installer and get the problem sorted out.

We had a GNS 400W installed in our Lear 55 and they had the roll steering computer wired backwards. It inhibited the turn anticipation and the "Turn to heading xxx in (10 second countdown)" annunciation on the GPS display.

Back