Gained weight

Nark

Macho Superpilot
Had to use my wife’s blanket to help keep me from dying today, but added a GFC500 Autopilot to my 180:
5D476EFE-9919-4550-8C15-75058CD8A675.jpeg

Holy balls is was cold. -20 c. But she’s back in my hangar again.

Holy crap! I saw an Archer II advertised as Cat 2 certified and thought the owner went crazy at the avionics shop.

Had to use my wife’s blanket to help keep me from dying today, but added a GFC500 Autopilot to my 180:
View attachment 57974
Looking sharp!

PS Stuck in FL since 14th. Highly recommend, would definitely do it again.
PPS We are up to three airplanes here now, thinking about opening up a part 134 3/4 charter shop.

View attachment 57974

Love that switchgear. I'm sorely tempted to do those, use straight switches for the mags and go to pushbutton start. It's just money after all....

do airplane wheels get balanced?
GA? I’ve never seen a reason to balance and I stall at a higher speed than most SE aircraft. I’m on my 4th set of mains in 16 years, same airframe.

Thinking about it… (Mr. Science hat on) Aircraft tires self balance, kind of. You always land on the heavy part of the tire because it rotates to the bottom when the gear is down, scuffing off rubber. The heavy side of the tire always wears out first.

GA? I’ve never seen a reason to balance and I stall at a higher speed than most SE aircraft. I’m on my 4th set of mains in 16 years, same airframe.

Thinking about it… (Mr. Science hat on) Aircraft tires self balance, kind of. You always land on the heavy part of the tire because it rotates to the bottom when the gear is down, scuffing off rubber. The heavy side of the tire always wears out first.

i was asking cause the reason for putting the dot lined up with the valve stem, at least on cars, is for making it easier to balance

Yes on GA airplanes. Especially in the EAB community, a balanced wheel is the difference between a gear shimmy and not-gear-shimmy. I had the front wheel balanced and new bearings done on my nosewheel (because I am not cool enough to own a taildragger) and it made a HUGE difference.

Light airplanes, especially flight school fleets generally don't get balanced as the tires usually wear out too quickly or a renter locks up the brakes on a brand new tire and pops it.

Larger airplanes, yes. In a previous life I did tire changes & wheel overhauls at a 145 repair station, and aside from the NDT, split wheel assemblies - it is very similar to changing automotive tires. In a life previous to that I also worked at an automotive tire shop and spent my youth changing thousands of car tires. The Coats 4040 and I go way back.

1628125756879.png

Yes on GA airplanes. Especially in the EAB community, a balanced wheel is the difference between a gear shimmy and not-gear-shimmy. I had the front wheel balanced and new bearings done on my nosewheel (because I am not cool enough to own a taildragger) and it made a HUGE difference.
Tailwheel shimmy happens a lot too. I remember we had it bad on a Cub when I was a kid and my dad replaced the solid tailwheel with one with a tube in it and it went away.

Back