GA Rental in S. TX - KPIL / KBRO / KHRL?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Y'all,

Gonna be in S. Texas (S. Padre Island) for a weeklong family trip this summer, and my wife has asked me to take her Dad flying while we're down there.

I realize it's six months out, but I'm wondering if any of you recommend a place to go get a rental checkout and then take something up for a couple of hours. I don't need high-tech - a reliable flight-school Cessna or Piper will be fine.

There doesn't seem to be a flight school/rental FBO on KPIL that I can find although there is a jump operation. Didn't really want to go all the way to KBRO or KHRL but it seems like those are the only places.

Advice sought and welcomed. Thanks!

Y'all,

Gonna be in S. Texas (S. Padre Island) for a weeklong family trip this summer, and my wife has asked me to take her Dad flying while we're down there.

I realize it's six months out, but I'm wondering if any of you recommend a place to go get a rental checkout and then take something up for a couple of hours. I don't need high-tech - a reliable flight-school Cessna or Piper will be fine.

There doesn't seem to be a flight school/rental FBO on KPIL that I can find although there is a jump operation. Didn't really want to go all the way to KBRO or KHRL but it seems like those are the only places.

Advice sought and welcomed. Thanks!
In my time spent down there, I never saw any GA training flights originate at PIL. Saw quite a few off of HRL that would use PIL for landing practice and then go fly the shoreline for a while before returning to HRL. The jump operation at PIL is actually based at BRO.
Now that I'm thinking about it, not sure I saw many GA training flights from BRO either.

It's been about 10 years since I frequented HRL, but I recall Sun Valley Aviation having aircraft rental.

In my time spent down there, I never saw any GA training flights originate at PIL. Saw quite a few off of HRL that would use PIL for landing practice and then go fly the shoreline for a while before returning to HRL. The jump operation at PIL is actually based at BRO.
Now that I'm thinking about it, not sure I saw many GA training flights from BRO either.

Yeah, I called to the FBO at PIL and was surprised that there wasn't anyone on the field who rented aircraft.

I don't think I'd want to operate a flight school out of BRO for a number of reasons, but I guess HRL is where everything happens. Good to know.

Back