G1000 make anyone else sick?

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
This is a follow up to my post down on the ATP board. I did the 4-hour DA40 package the other day which was great. I had no previous G1000 experience, and I found it very interesting. Problem is, I think scanning the G1000 made me sick much like reading a book in a car.

We were in and out of clouds all day with light turbulence - no big deal really, but each approach I flew, I found myself getting really nauseous. By the last one, I ended up having to turn the a/c over to the instructor as I thought I was going to lose it. Fortunately I didn't - and each time I'd pass the controls off to him, I'd feel better after about a minute.

Has anyone else experienced this? It really seemed like scanning the G1000 screens was what was making me sick. Like I said, I have trouble reading on a moving object, but I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. I have about 160 hours TT and have only gotten nauseous a couple of times.

It might just be a combination of factors, like the sunlight rapidly flashing through the clouds, turbulence, and a new scan.

Tell me, you didn't do the 4 hours in one shot did you...? That could also be the problem.

Have you flown approaches many approaches in actual, or ones that are in and out of the clouds the whole time much before?

It might be a function of the flight conditions more than the panel being used. I've had people feel a bit sick during their first flights in actual, but never from the G1000 specifically.

It might just be a combination of factors, like the sunlight rapidly flashing through the clouds, turbulence, and a new scan.

Tell me, you didn't do the 4 hours in one shot did you...? That could also be the problem.

Yeah, it was a one day package and I was able to knock out my 250-mile CC for the IR.

It might just be a glass problem.

I've had it where I was riding turbulence in a glass airplane and the images are all fuzzy from the chop. That happened in the 145 where the tubes were CRTs and the refresh rate and the chop rate made some sort of visual interference. It didnt' make me sick, but gave me a headache.

Have you flown approaches many approaches in actual, or ones that are in and out of the clouds the whole time much before?

It might be a function of the flight conditions more than the panel being used. I've had people feel a bit sick during their first flights in actual, but never from the G1000 specifically.

I had about an hour of actual before this - which was while shooting approaches. Didn't have any problems that day, but it wasn't nearly as hot either. That could have been it I guess. I was hoping there was a better excuse, though - I sort of feel like I just hit my first drive and didn't get it past the ladies tees :)

I have about 80 hours in that airfframe and recall feeling ill... something about the terrible venting system, fixed seats, and overall poor design of the cockpit (my opinion only).

I have about 80 hours in that airfframe and recall feeling ill... something about the terrible venting system, fixed seats, and overall poor design of the cockpit (my opinion only).

Yeah, I had trouble walking when I got out of the thing.

With the proviso that I still think G1000s are for little girls, I imagine this has to do with the above mentioned "first long block of time in no kidding actual" thing. You'll blow through that before you know it and be "scanning the overhead" with the A/P on like an experienced pro.

Yes G1000's make me sick. Oh you meant looking at it :p. Never had the problem, though I only have 4 hours in VFR with it. Like others have said might be a combination of factors. I know my first few times in actual I felt super awkward.

I'd just ease into it and don't spend lock blocks of time at girst. I have at least 300 hrs in the G1000 and never felt sick due to the screens or scan. How is your vision for reading? Do you wear glasses at all?

Blame the DA-40. I have most of my G1000 time in a Cessna 172, but now I'm flying the DA-40 with it. The DA-40 rides horribly in any turbulence at all, thanks to its very long wingspan. Plus, they aren't the most comfortable seats in the world. But, I'll trade comfort for speed (115 TAS for the 172 vs 142 TAS for the DA-40 I fly). Go fly a DA-20, that'll really mess you up.

I had about an hour of actual before this - which was while shooting approaches. Didn't have any problems that day, but it wasn't nearly as hot either. That could have been it I guess. I was hoping there was a better excuse, though - I sort of feel like I just hit my first drive and didn't get it past the ladies tees :)

Ft. Worth rules? :panic:

Never had a problem with the G1000 making me sick. Though it does make my head hurt after a lot of instrument flying.

Back