G-Whiz ? - CFII in a single?

LoadMasterC141

If someone has a Commercial Single certificate, along with an MEI and CFII, could he/she technically give Instrument instruction in a single engine plane, but not regular flight instruction?

If someone has a Commercial Single certificate, along with an MEI and CFII, could he/she technically give Instrument instruction in a Multi engine plane, but not regular flight instruction?
Did you mean to type "single" there? I can't grok it any other way, but then again I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box either.

Someone with a Commercial Single, CFI-Instrument, and MEI may give instrument instruction in a single, but not regular instruction. Check out FAA Order 8900.1:
5-503 REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS. In accordance with § 61.195 flight instructors may not conduct flight instruction in any aircraft for which they do not hold category, class, and type ratings, if appropriate, on the pilot and flight instructor certificates. The phrase “if appropriate” applies equally to and in combination with both certificates when instrument instructor ratings are involved.

A. Single- and/or Multiengine Ratings. According to part 61 flight instructors who hold an “INSTRUMENT—AIRPLANE” rating only on their flight instructor certificate are authorized to give instrument flight instruction in single- and/or multiengine airplanes for instrument certification, provided they hold single- and/or multiengine ratings on their pilot certificate.

B. Class Ratings. Flight instructors who hold flight instructor certificates issued under part 61, which allow only instrument instructor privileges in airplanes, may give instrument flight instruction in any class airplane that is listed without restriction on their pilot certificate. Instructors holding only a helicopter instrument rating on their flight instructor certificate are limited to conducting instrument flight instruction in helicopters.

C. Ratings Limited to Instrument. Instructors with ratings limited to instrument may not give instrument flight instruction to students who do not hold category and class ratings in the aircraft used. This would be instruction for the addition of a rating that conveys other than instrument privileges. These instructors may not certify logbooks or recommend applicants for any aircraft category or class rating.

Hey Jeremy, How is the ATP thing going. I hope they are treating you well!

I’m going to hijack your thread here. We had a question pop up not to long ago that is on the same line as this, maybe some one can help with!
You are ASEL and AMEL
You received your Instrument rating in a Twin. Can you fly IFR in a single? The answer is yes you can, but the question is where can you find this answer? It's not addressed in far/aim as best we can tell! We had several people looking for the answer, and even a call into the FAA, but still no answer

You received your Instrument rating in a Twin. Can you fly IFR in a single? The answer is yes you can, but the question is where can you find this answer? It's not addressed in far/aim as best we can tell! We had several people looking for the answer, and even a call into the FAA, but still no answer

Because you are certified for Instrument Airplane, which is a category rating, not a class rating.

Now what about taking your CAX/IR checkride in a twin, then do you still have to do an approach in a single during your single commercial add-on?

That I do understand, Because what they really want to see is your understanding of single engine ifr performance.

Ok I'll take that. The answers I've gotten go back to demonstrating instrument skills and since the IR is CATEGORY specific that argument didn't hold up in my mind.

Ok I'll take that. The answers I've gotten go back to demonstrating instrument skills and since the IR is CATEGORY specific that argument didn't hold up in my mind.

The accident data has shown that pilots handle the engine out procedures well, but then lose control of the airplane during the approach. This is why the demonstration of instrument skills was added to the ME rating.

Yes, it's slightly disingenuous to say that the instrument rating is a category rating, at least if you get it in a single. But the instrument training in a twin is vastly reduced from what the IR required and so are the PTS requirements.

So what about getting your cmel/ir first, then adding on csel, do you still have to demonstrate instrument skills?

I'm glad to see this post. I am a CFI-MEI, and will be a CFII (hopefully next week), with COMM ASEL AMEL and Instrument ratings. My primary job is training in our company Mulit-Eng aircraft, however we do have a single engine plane used for support, so I can see that I would need to give IPCs in our single for our few single engine support pilots.

Back