G-V SP Monster

**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone seen the new G-VSP? Its gonna be a beauty in 2004. With all new increased range of almost 7000 miles i think and the new PlaneViewCockpit, this plane is gonna be a MONSTER!!.My only problem with G-V's are parking them out on the ramp; the wingspan on em are insane! i also hope that they get rid of the nose wheel disconnect used before towing gets kinda annoying.

I think that I saw it if it is the one that I am thinking of it was parked in front of Honeywell in Deer Valley Phoenix, for weeks at a time getting avionics misc. But I cant remember if it was a 4 or a 5 for the life of me. But a great looking plane let me tell you. It is the Flagship a big SP painted on the side.

I had a chance to fly(sorta) the GV sim for a few minutes - great airplane with some neat toys but overall I was rather unimpressed. Before anyone starts flaming it's a great airplane with it's good points and bad like every other airplane but I wouldn''t want to sit in one across the pond - it's tiny inside compared to the Challenger. Well maybe not 'tiny' but certainly considerably smaller and much less comfortable in both the cockpit and the cabing compared to the Challenger line. FLY BOMBARDIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Jason

I was having the same conversations w/my instructor.
The Challenger is more comfortable, and, in his opinion, was a better looking airplane, as well.

I'll stick w/my trusty 150 rental. Can't beat the price.

FWIW

smile.gif

I think a 737 would bet the best bet, you can pick them up super cheap. And parts are quite cheap and easy to get a hold of!!

Can you cross the pond in a 737?

Also, did you see the cockpit photo on their website?? Those aren't CRT's, they're LAPTOP screens! All I can say is awesome!

[ QUOTE ]
I think a 737 would bet the best bet, you can pick them up super cheap. And parts are quite cheap and easy to get a hold of!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how Iain knows this sh*t, but.... he's right.
wink.gif

I work for an aviation law firm and we have a case dealing with very topic.

A 737-100 to 737-200 series can be acquired for - and I was just as shocked to hear this as anyone else - as little as $250,000.00 USD.

That's airworthy. Working engines, etc.

The upkeep would kill you, but there it is.

Yes a 737 in executive config. can easily cross the pond. Less passengers means more fuel!! I was personally thinking of a 733, the 732 and 731 are a little too old. The upkeep would not be as bad as you would imagine; Gulfstream can mark up parts for premium market and the lack of economies of scale, which means the 737 would not be quite as bad.

I really believe there is a business is refurbishing old 737 to compete with the GV. Pilots for the 737 are easy to come by these days too!!

Call me skeptical but I'd still have to believe the GV is more economical. Or else you would see the Gulfstreams in the boneyard instead of the Boeings. There have been corp 737s on the market for YEARS without selling.

You also have to factor in a few things like:
*737 can't operate out of the same airports. Either because of runway length/weight restrictions, and noise abatement.
*737 will not fit in most corporate hangars because of height. So now you have to pay a few million extra to erect a suitable hangar.
*RVSM?
*Service Centers for heavy maintenance. Usually contracted with major airlines for C and D checks.

I know there are many corp outfits with shallow pockets that like to have a big ramp presence, but operating expenses eat them alive.

Another reason corporations don't opt for the 737 even though you get more airplane for less money, is that corporations have to answer for how they spend the money and most peoples initiall reaction to a 737 is that it is excessive because of the size. I have shown 2 companies on paper why is would better to operate brand x jet instead of brand y and both have said we can't be that osentatious, plus with an average passenger load of around 30% companies don't want to over indulge in luxury. People still make decisions based on emotions rather than logic.

[ QUOTE ]
Pilots for the 737 are easy to come by these days too!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is regrettably very true
frown.gif

I dont know a whole lot about any of these aircraft, but isnt another critical reason for picking the smaller jets landing/takeoff distances and ramp weight? We can handle a Global Express at our little airport ramp, but there is no way a 737 is getting anywhere near the ramp and would probably sink through the taxiway. The global and G-V also only use about half ouf our 5200' runway for departure and probably 2/3's of it for landing. Could a 737 operate from a 5000' field if it could fit on the ramp?

Yes I am pretty sure a 737 could handle 5000'. One of the bigger problems would be width of the taxiways. It might be able to handle the weight but the low hanging engines over the grass could cause some serious problems!

How much wider is the wheel base on a 737 than a Global Express or G-V? Those two just fit on our taxiways.

A 737 is not thaty much larger then the G birds, and the Global Express. Also if their is not an airfield big enough in the area I doubt you need to fly 20+ executives there.

The aircraft heading my way are all people heading to the vacation home or yacht. The Global that comes in is fit out for 8-10 passengers and usually only has the owners on boards. (The same people have a nice Challenger they use to shuttle friends up in). I guess Malcom Forbes (sp?) used to arrive in the area via a 727, but they had to go to another airport that can be a several hour drive with summer traffic. Apparently he would have a smaller jet waiting there to shuttle him here, where a helocopter from his Yacht could take him the final leg.

I guess the problem with a 737 at an airport like BHB is the engine clearance. The wheels will fit on the taxiway ok, but the engines will not clear the lights, signs, or snowbanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the problem with a 737 at an airport like BHB is the engine clearance. The wheels will fit on the taxiway ok, but the engines will not clear the lights, signs, or snowbanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Engines could be hanging off the taxiway sucking up grass and debris and maybe even taxiway lights!

I fly on Southwest into and out of KISP (Islip, NY) which has (2) 5,000' and (1) 7000' runway and they have no problems stopping there......although they do crank up those thrust reversers!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how Iain knows this sh*t, but.... he's right

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that good ole English Charm!
grin.gif

Back