Fussy cabin crew demand better lodgings {Qantas}

[ QUOTE ]
Good lord Doug. Its a lizard. Pick it up and hang it from your ear. Thats what we did as kids. They are everywhere. I don't think you can get rid of them in Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, in Doug's defense, we're California natives!! We have lots of critters like that in the desert, but I'm not too sure about central Cali. If I had seen one of those in San Fran, I'd have passed out!!!
grin.gif

Luckily, I spent alot of time in the south growing up, so I knew all about those nasty little monsters
tongue.gif

Those are cool and actually eat the roaches. I live in Fl. and would feel way better staying in a hotel room with one or two of those lizards to protect me from the bed bugs...
grin.gif
<font color="blue"> </font>

Oh man, Central Cali was "Wild Kingdom". Snakes, black widows, scorpions. I saw way more "wildlife" in CA than I've seen in AZ so far.

But then, I keep my house like a biohazard zone with Triazinon.

AAwwww.. lizards won't hurt ya - unless it's a big Gila Monster!

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And they forced Frankfurt's sumptuous Mainz Hilton in to order new linen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed there and didn't see a big problem. But boy do they have a kicking breakfast buffet!

[/ QUOTE ] yea, it was a nice enough hotel, but i sure wouldn't have called it 4 or 5 star though... a Westin hotel is what i would consider 4 or 5 star.. but then again, that is overseas and their hotel ratings are WAY different. In paris, if you get a room with a double bed and a small bath in an area of maybe 20x20 - it's considered a 3 star and that's supposed to be good/acceptable - over here, that would be considered a 2 star if not lower because of the amount of space alone.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, Central Cali was "Wild Kingdom". Snakes, black widows, scorpions. I saw way more "wildlife" in CA than I've seen in AZ so far.

But then, I keep my house like a biohazard zone with Triazinon.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

In San Francisco, I think the most dangerous critter we had was a rabis rat (the size of a dog, mind you...), and lot's of garter snakes. When I was stationed in 29 Palsm, I was pretty grosed out to find scorpions in the bathroom and I never did get used to that weird high-pitched noise all night long (I hadn't heard many crickets...
grin.gif
).

[ QUOTE ]
In paris, if you get a room with a double bed and a small bath in an area of maybe 20x20 - it's considered a 3 star and that's supposed to be good/acceptable - over here, that would be considered a 2 star if not lower because of the amount of space alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard domestic "Holiday Inn" would be a four star hotel in most countries.

"Florida Lizards" (actually amphibians) are acceptable roommates for me as they eat the bugs and have been shown to be fairly clean.

This thread is great, it keeps reminding me of stories, both good and bad about hotel rooms.

I guess I'll start with a funny/embarrassing one. I was TDY to Palm Beach as a new Air Midwest/Mesa 1900 captain. Since I was now making the "big bucks" I splurged on room service for dinner at the Holiday Inn.

Clothed in naught but my sport boxers I placed the tray out in the hall. I watched in horror as the door closed behind me. I checked my pockets. Nope, no key. Of course I also had no pockets.

Meanwhile at the far end of the hall near the elevators (9th floor) I noticed several buxom and attractive women milling around in revealing, dress up gowns. This is not the time to be walking around in boxers, I said to myself.

Hoping to cover up my apparent stupidity I started knocking on my door. "Hey let me in hunny ..."

As the girls started to look my way I casually turned and walked in to the stairwell/fire exit. I waited there about 10 minutes for the elevators to arrive and take away those embarrassing eyes!

I walked back in the hallway and begged some guy to call the front desk as he was trying to get in his room. I can imagine what he was thinking as a half naked man accosts him in the hallway.

"Just tell them to send a key up to room 906, please?"

A knowing smile appeared on his face as he looked up and said, "Locked yourself out?"

I resisted the urge to sarcastically comment on his brilliant deduction and said, “Yes, thank you.”

Fortunately about 10 minutes later a (male) desk person arrived with a key. . He said, “Are you with the contest?”

“What contest?”

“The Miss Nude America contest of course! The girls are all staying on this floor, didn’t you see them?”

Epilogue: No I didn’t want to see them anymore, and they were very noisy all night. Imagine having a bunch of off-duty strippers and their boyfriends partying on your floor when you are trying to sleep!

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine having a bunch of off-duty strippers and their boyfriends partying on your floor when you are trying to sleep!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you go into more detail please???

[ QUOTE ]
Can you go into more detail please???

[/ QUOTE ]

Shooter it wasn't at all what you think. It was laughing, yelling, fighting, cursing and carrying on. I didn't hear any of what you would call "the good stuff."

The hallway reeked of pot and booze.

Look I was just glad I was back in my room by then! Imagine if I'd been stuck out there in my shorts during the party ....

"FRESH MEAT!!!!"

John, I have a similar, but potentially more embarrassing story along the same lines. One night while on the road for Lucent technologies I returned to my room mildly inebriated and accompanied by my then girlfriend (also inebriated though more than mildly, she was on vacation, I was working) about 3:00 am I stumble to the bathroom took care of business and upon leaving made a right turn (instead of the required left) and found myself standing in the hallway bare beam and buck naked. Of course being accompanied I was sure that if I knocked on the door she would answer. Wrong, she was out like a light. As the moments agonizingly ticked past and the chill began to set in I decided that I needed to take a more proactive course of action. I was right next to the elevators and had to make a long walk down the corridor to the end where I took the curtains off the window and wrapped myself in it like Roman. I then took the elevator down to the lobby. Needless to say I was less than enthused to find the lobby full of returning revelers who were all interested in my strange attire. The reactions were a bit raucous. I’m sure that my face was like a ripe tomato. The front desk staff was trying their damndest to hold back the laughter as I asked for a new key to my room.

Back