Furloughs at Alaska

Sorry to hear about the possible furloughs at Alaska, Cheech. They've dropped the number at Horizon down from 87 to 69, and right now anyways, after our first 40 go in November anything could happen. Talked to one of our ACP and word is that the furloughs will be for less than 6 months. Seems no one wants to buy CRJ700's...so we're parking 2 of them.

Hope that Alaska and Horizon can make it through this rough time with very little reductions.

What's the word on Alaskas' side about a 3rd party carrier flying EMB-190's?

Sorry to hear about the possible furloughs at Alaska, Cheech. They've dropped the number at Horizon down from 87 to 69, and right now anyways, after our first 40 go in November anything could happen. Talked to one of our ACP and word is that the furloughs will be for less than 6 months. Seems no one wants to buy CRJ700's...so we're parking 2 of them.

Hope that Alaska and Horizon can make it through this rough time with very little reductions.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but, is Horizon planning on flying the 700's until they are sold? (I understand except for 2 at this point correct?)

So a couple questions.... What is the asking price right now for the CRJ700's? Is there a reason that others dont want them right now? I mean there's got to be something behind the fact that NO one has made an offer for these AC.

Secondly what's up with this E190 story? Any chance its RAH willing to fly the E190 for them? I know BB has been wanting to get E190's on property.

Here's the "official" answer from Horizon as to why the CRJ700's aren't selling as well as hoped.

- In April, when Horizon Air announced it was transitioning to an all-Q400 fleet, there appeared to be a window of opportunity for remarketing the CRJ-700s in our fleet. Unfortunately, the market has softened considerably since then. Airlines, struggling with fuel prices and a weak economy, have become less inclined to invest capital in more aircraft.

- Nevertheless, Horizon continues to avidly pursue potential customers for the aircraft, both domestically (which is preferred) and internationally, with the active assistance of Bombardier and Structured Finance Inc., an aircraft broker.

As for flying the flying the 700, the plan is to find lessor's for our 2 parked CRJ's by years end...then "trade"(or remarket) one CRJ700 for one Q400 as delivery's start on our next 11 or so aircraft.

As for the EMB-190 rumors...I've personally heard everything from RAH flying them to JetBlue flying them (imagine that!).

I certainly hope that AAG doesn't make the mistake of bringing in a 3rd Party Carrier do fly 100-110 seat jets. Both we (Horizon) and Alaska are in contract negotiations and this could make things very difficult in the long run.

I just hope that Alaska and Alaska's pilots come out of this with minimal furloughs (if any)...Alaska has a top notch group of pilots and I've had the privilege of riding on them many times.

Chris,

Sorry to hear about the possible furloughs..... you always know where to find me.

And I think it's my turn to buy. ;)

From our MEC update:

What We Know about Management’s Staffing Plans and the Extended Leave/Early Out Program Requests

Today was the deadline to submit requests for either the Early Out Retirement or Extended Leave of Absence program. As of early this afternoon, more than 130 pilots had submitted requests. Management has not yet told us how this will affect their projected staffing needs as they still need to determine how many pilots actually intend to participate in these programs.

Not necessarily all 130 pilots will retire. This just means that they're interested and would like to see the numbers (which the company will provide and I think they have 7 days to accept). The MEC is having a meeting today about furlough mitigation. Hopefully between mitigation measures (lower block time, etc) and those taking a LOA or retiring there won't be too many, if any, furloughs.

Personally, I think I'm fine. I'm 128 from the bottom. . .

Back