funny antidote - right rudder on takeoff

bluelake

just thought i would share something funny that only happened hours ago. i was meeting with a student (lesson #2) and he was, having done his reading, reasoning with me that needing right rudder for takeoff and climbout was kinda analogous to having a right foot on a gas pedal in a car. I sympathetically reasoned, "yeah, its kinda like that".

When we took off and rotated the airplane yawed so violently to the right I thought there was some kind of control surface failure or something like that. I said "I got the controls" and he let go of the yoke...and still we were heading about 30' PAST the edge of the concrete off to the right, and only about 30' AGL. I looked down at MY pedals and my new student ( who is otherwise doing a very good job on his first lessons) had his foot PEGGED hard on the right rudder...

I guess yoo know how he drives now.
shocked.gif

Friend of mine tells the story:

While interviewing a new CFI for a job, the CFI in the rt seat of a 152 talked the 'student' (- chief pilot) thru the Power on stall..

The CFI said keep giving it rudder ...
more rudder....
more rudder...
more rudder....

About 5kts below stall he slammed in full LEFT rudder....

The 152, flipped right over and entered a spin...

The "CFI" did the Gecko.......

Then the "student" looked to the CFI and said calmly..

Are you going to let us crash?

The CFI recovered the airplane...

and the 'student' said..

"So tell me about use of the rudder in a power on stall?"

CFI. with a huge grin of relief and understanding "I always tell the student to use RIGHT rudder" he got the job..

That CFI is flying for SWA now..

Back