Fueling: Tips and Tricks

How the HECK do you inadvertently put jet into an avgas truck?!? That obviously took some real talent there haha

Honestly I have no clue I was thinking the same thing. That's the story though... The FBO was very apologetic/embarrassed for their big mistake.

All it will do is override the VTO, you will still have to open up the valves, but just in defuel. Just dont over fuel it, or you'll end up with a mess on your hands.

Right, if memory serves correctly that will open the vent and you'll have 20+ gallons and not enough quick dry.

That's how it is everywhere. Different connections, hose size, and different systems between jet and LL. The only way I can see someone doing this is taking a bucket and scooping the fuel from the tanker truck and dumping it into the wrong refueler haha :D
What... you don't fill you're trucks with a bucket? haha That is impressive though for sure! We had a guy come in a twin star saying he had to have diesel. 'No I can't take Jet A, I have to have Diesel... the book saids so!' ummm what ever you say.

1. Buy a leatherman or a gerber multi tool
2. Always have a flashlight (I prefer smallish LED lights. Headlamps work well too.)
3. Always carry a small note-pad (in case you don't have Service Order slips, etc...
4. Save the arches on your shoes when winding up hoses. Buy some sturdy leather palmed work gloves and use your hands (but be careful) when winding up hoses. Gloves are much cheaper than shoes.
5. Cary a shop rag.
6. Spend the money on a plug in ground wire. Pilots appreciate using designated grounding points and more aircraft than you would care to know use plugs as designated grounding points.
7. Have a good attitude. Customers sense this (tips) and people notice. You may not want to do lineservice forever but if you treat every airplane as if it were your own it will make you better in the future.

1.Avgas pilots are always "in a hurry!" So be efficient.
2. Be courteous and show your personality. You never know where then next job might come from.
3. If it is a charter flight in a light jet/turbine wait for the passengers to leave the area. You do not want them tripping over your equipment.
4. Know your equipment and how it works. You will be surprised how many questions get asked about it.
5. Stay professional. This can be the hardest part especially on a long shift.

I always ask if they are ok with the static line on the exhaust. Many pilots appreciate me asking before actually doing it or prefer a different spot depending on type a/c.

I always ask if they are ok with the static line on the exhaust. Many pilots appreciate me asking before actually doing it or prefer a different spot depending on type a/c.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of just clipping the line anywhere. First choice is usually an unpainted tie down, second a towing point and last will be the exhaust.

Back